3 Things wou miss from your youth!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

station

Post by station » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:35 pm

1 ... I remember getting my first Atari ST, playing Zombi, Midnight Resistance, Dogs Of War, and all those brilliant Medway Boys/Automation intro menus.

2 ... Simplicity. Everything is so complex and hostile now. You need to sign up to everything just to do anything. Everything is internet orientated, and everything is connected to your 'way of life/lifestyle'. The internet is great, but I'd trade it in for the simplicity of the 80's. Four channels, 1.99 games, not having to upgrade your PC every year, not having to wade through the stupid internet wars by 13 year old American boys. We were on the cusp of the technological 'revolution', which puts it in parellel with the 50's I suppose with the TV and jet-age etc. IPods, Plasma TVs, IPhones, new mobile every month, etc. I couldn't be ar*ed with any of it. :(

3 ... The cars were sh*te, but are miles better than the sea of look-a-like, injection moulded rep mobiles today. The Ferrari Testarossa & F40. :)

You can stick your 90's and 00's up your anal passage.

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:37 am

1) no responsibilities

2) watching the muppet show

3) getting star wars figures and Zoids with my birthday/ crimbo money

fraser1

Post by fraser1 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:16 pm

:?:
Last edited by fraser1 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

uglifruit

Post by uglifruit » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:36 pm

1) 'Playing out on my bike' with my friend. Which was basically cycling by the brook. On my racer. And deciding where would be good for a 'den'. I think the famous five books played a big part in why this was important.

2) Going shopping with Mum* (dragged around shops, boring) BUT meeting my Gran in the co-op department store for a cup of tea and a bun. If my bro and I drank really quickly we could justifiably go to the toy dept while Mum and Gran finished. Brilliant.

3) Later: Indie computer shops. Being able to go in, type 10 PRINT "Andy is skill": GOTO 10. The variety and feeling of it being a special place where you might find a great game, in a hand photocopied sleeve. Happy days.

*I miss my Mum - she was a great lady.
...you been goofin' with the bees?

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:08 am

1) Industrial action playing havoc with the TV schedules, often to great improvement

2) Calculators that went a bit mental when you held down more than one button at the same time

3) The insanely-delicious green Quosh ("Mixed Fruit" flavour, although the swiftness and permanence of its disappearance suggests that the most natural ingredient in it was something akin to Paraquat)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:09 am

1. All the toys I used to get.
2. Breaking all the toys I used to get.
3. Hiding all my broken toys from my parents, my bionic man spent 6 months under my bed after I twisted his arm off until my mum found it :D
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:39 am

felgekarp wrote:3. Hiding all my broken toys from my parents, my bionic man spent 6 months under my bed after I twisted his arm off until my mum found it :D
Wasn't his arm meant to come off? It was a routine part of my play: "Aaargh, his arm's come off" - "it's ok, We Can Rebuild Him" etc
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:55 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
felgekarp wrote:3. Hiding all my broken toys from my parents, my bionic man spent 6 months under my bed after I twisted his arm off until my mum found it :D
Wasn't his arm meant to come off? It was a routine part of my play: "Aaargh, his arm's come off" - "it's ok, We Can Rebuild Him" etc
I twisted his arm of at the elbow joint not the shoulder where it was meant to come off, I was quite destructive as a child :D
Splink!

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:34 pm

1. The confectionary and drinks that used to be available - Treets, Quattro, French Fries (loved the tiny lumps of flavouring at the bottom) etc.

2. TV Shows - Micro Live, Database, Jem & The Holograms, Think of a Number, Spitting Image and later on Samurai Pizza Cats.

3. Music. At the time I wasn't into it, but in the last decade I've really got into 80s music a LOT. Bands such as the Pinkees, Dekka Danse, Music for Pleasure and Mezzoforte are my faves of all time.

4. The freedom. Ride your bikes, play football in the street, etc. without your parents having to worry about your safety.

5. Hiring out VCS games from the local video shop - £5 for two nights.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

atari_ghost

Post by atari_ghost » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:33 pm

3 THINGS I'L MISS FROM MY YOUTH:

a.) School. - never realized how school can be so much fun.

b.) Night Outs - just go out and chill

c.) Highschool Friends - laughter and the tears.