Italian Football craze of early 1990's

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Hardest of All Freds

Re: Italian Football craze of early 1990's

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Trans World Sport was the only place to see Ice Hockey back in the pre-Sky days..

Gretzsky, Lemieux, etc
Going Solo...................

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:17 pm

Yeah, I caught it a few weeks ago when I was awake early and in the same room as a working television (a rare combination!). Think they were kayaking, or possibly canoeing.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:54 pm

You were really hardcore if you got up early enough to watch Kabaddi.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Don't remember that, but my dad used to tape the Sumo wrestling for us, if that counts for anything?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:41 pm

I always had the feeling that it was a craze purely because of Channel 4's marketing of the thing.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm

^ Considering Sky hadn't fully shaken off the "it'll never last" tag, there still weren't that many live matches on terrestrial telly outside the FA Cup final and the World Cup/Euros and Italia '90 playing a large part in re-popularising the sport (and of course the Gazza effect carrying forward from that tournament all the way to his move to Lazio) it's no surprise that viewing figures would be very healthy - and what else was there to watch on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:39 am

Exactly, nothing to do with marketing

Gazza was huge back then, going to Italy was a massive news story back then and people wanted to see how he did (As you say Sky didnt have rights to italian games back then). The premiership was taking off in the UK but the italian league back then was massive.

I must admit i mostly watched it for Gazza so when he left Lazio i wasnt so interested in it, good highlights type of package for early/lunchtime saturday when your'e still nursing your hangover getting ready to go out again !

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:35 pm

The Italian league back then was the strongest in the world, with money flying about even amongst the provincial sides. In fact, after Milan in July 1992 bought a player called Lentini for a then world record £13.3 million, even the Pope got involved, expressing concern at the obscene amount of cash involved. Milan fans showed greater concern when the season began and Lentini went on to do little except take part in a serious car crash. Still, the Italian teams were way above the best in England or anywhere else: Channel 4's coverage came at the right time.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Spector wrote:The Italian league back then was the strongest in the world, with money flying about even amongst the provincial sides. In fact, after Milan in July 1992 bought a player called Lentini for a then world record £13.3
There was actually a lot of undeclared cash involved, too. One of the many trials where Berlusconi managed to walk (in this case, because he changed the law in its favour and made the deadline for this felony shorter, so that the trial was stopped before reaching a verdict).

I could say the situation has swapped in 20 years, there's a lot more interest in Italy towards the PL (that's widely considered as the most fun league to watch) and Serie A has become a farce.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark