Top 10 Worst Video Game Consoles

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

stevenhowlett

Top 10 Worst Video Game Consoles

Post by stevenhowlett » Mon May 26, 2014 9:25 am

I just found this video on You Tube. I don't agree with some of the entries, such as the Jaguar and the N-Gage, but it's interesting from an histroical context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7XfaVkIlqo
NEW RETRO BOOK - DIARY OF AN 80s COMPUTER GEEK
A Decade Of Micro Computers, Video Games and Cassette Tape
Available from Amazon Books (£3.50) and Amazon Kindle (79p)

psj3809

Re: Top 10 Worst Video Game Consoles

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:16 am

Its always a tricky one, its like the whole betamax vs VHS, betamax was better but as the majority had VHS, so betamax just fell apart and flopped.

So in 'some' cases granted a specific console/handheld were technically better but for me 'technically better' doesnt mean squat. It was all about the games games games, back in the 80's if some kid said his BBC was 'technically better' than my Speccy he would get laughed at. No one cared !

I still rate consoles/computers by how good the games were, not the geeky tech spec which kids back then didnt care about.

Remember when my mate bought a Mega CD as soon as it came out, cost a fortune back then (we were all quite young) and it was just dire, crappy video scenes in terrible games, just shocking how bad that was.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 27, 2014 4:07 pm

I like to rate them by the games but also by the hardware itself. I mean, some people seem to think that a console is a load of rubbish just because the developers involved didn't get the most from it for whatever reason. That doesn't make the machine bad but the manufacturer and their own business side of things.

3DO for example was well ahead of it's time and I can imagine some of the games being mind-blowing but it was handled badly, too expensive for many and quickly out-gunned by the likes of the Playstation. Does that mean that the 3DO hardware itself was crap? Not really. In these cases, I think people really mean that it's the platform in general that is crap and not the hardware. A lot of people mix this up. For example, I would say that early RROD-prone 360's are crap consoles from a design POV but the platform itself is bloody good with some brilliant games.

Crap consoles for me (as in the hardware ) are those that are always breaking down or have rubbish build quality.

Anyway, sorry for repeating an old argument discussion but that's just my view.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:02 am

But again years later i personally think the majority dont care about build quality, it was about games games games.

Again Betamax vs VHS, the build quality 'might' have been better on Betamax but no one cared, all your friends had VHS tapes and films so you did the same.

Same for retro consoles/gadgets/computers. I dont care if the 3DO had great innovative features or had a great build quality, the fact is there werent any decent games for it. Same for lots of other machines i could mention. I mean the mags called Retro Gamer, we talk about retro games, if a console/computer had a lack of decent retro games back then rightly so its regarded as a flop.

I know one guy who loves the Sinclair QL and keeps waffling on to me about the positives of it, no one cares ! ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 29, 2014 6:59 pm

I was more aiming to note the difference between a crap console and a crap platform. When people say that a console was "crap", they usually mean that the platform and what was available on it was crap and that's fair enough.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:12 pm

n-gage oh dear oh dear

i'm pretty sure the phone part of it used symbian 6.1, that in itself makes me want to weep

PeeJay1980

Post by PeeJay1980 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:56 pm

I'm surprised the Amstrad GX4000 isn't included, that really was how not to release a console.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:53 am

To be fair, Amstrad had been too used to the business computer market by that point and knew absolutely nothing about consoles.

They also kinda failed spectacularly to keep the systems current. Releasing 8-bit systems to compete against 16-bit (and dressing the computer variants up like the 16-bit amigas?) Recipe for failure in itself.
Where logic won't work, I will

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:12 am

gunbladelad wrote:To be fair, Amstrad had been too used to the business computer market by that point and knew absolutely nothing about consoles.

They also kinda failed spectacularly to keep the systems current. Releasing 8-bit systems to compete against 16-bit (and dressing the computer variants up like the 16-bit amigas?) Recipe for failure in itself.
To be fair to Amstrad, I don't think the GX4000 was intended to compete against those machines. It was launched for £99 where a Megadrive was about twice that and an Amiga around four times as much. Both the SMS and NES had 3-4 years life left in them at this point, and that was their perceived competition.

Still, like you said, they didn't have much of an idea about games consoles and should have realized that for it to succeed they'd have needed to put together a massive commitment to developing games for it and marketing the finished product. Had they known that beforehand, they'd probably never have made it at all.

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:15 pm

[quote="Megamixer"
3DO for example was well ahead of it's time and I can imagine some of the games being mind-blowing but it was handled badly, too expensive for many and quickly out-gunned by the likes of the Playstation. Does that mean that the 3DO hardware itself was crap? Not really. In these cases, I think people really mean that it's the platform in general that is crap and not the hardware. A lot of people mix this up. For example, I would say that early RROD-prone 360's are crap consoles from a design POV but the platform itself is bloody good with some brilliant games.[/quote]

Completely disagree with you here. If you're talking simply "games games games" 3DO is anything but crap. It had bad games, but so does every platform. In fact if you look at the "hundreds and hundreds of titles" Sony would boast about for the PS2 the majority were awful shovelware, but even though I didn't like the platform I must concede there were plenty of gems and it was a huge success thanks to them. 3DO was a brilliant idea but was marketed and released much in the same way as those electronics firms would release any brand new tech, i.e. very expensive first releases, then as early adopters get on board there's gradually more support, then more people adopt it, the price falls, it gains popularity, the manufacturers are able to make cheaper versions, gain more popularity, more support.... it continues. Same happened with HDTV for example. 3DO was on the way with this model and in terms of home electronics was gaining success like any new ultimately successful device/standard at the point in its lifetime, and Panasonic bought the standard (as happens with them all) and were ready to licence it out further and take it to the next stage of progression.

The problem was, even though 3DO was a machine that was produced to do more than play games it was still seen as primarily a console which would do other stuff. As such the business model that Panasonic, Goldstar, Sanyo etc would use and have great success with just wouldn't work with a console. Hard lesson to learn and very unfortunate because those games which were worth the money are still stunning today and among my very favourite of all time. Unfortunately for 3DO fans Sony came along and went against the grain and produced a solely-games-orientated console and marketed it brilliantly.

Far too easy to brush a format aside as "crap" when it ultimately didn't succeed financially. That doesn't make it "crap", it makes it an unfortunate loss to gamers. See also Dreamcast for example.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:48 pm

^^^I was trying to make the point that when others criticised the 3DO, they were slating the format but saying it in a way that slated the actual hardware (which I thought was wrong since the two are separate things to judge).

Personally I like the 3DO and it has some ace games so I'm certainly not hating on it :) . Unfortunately having to sell my FZ-1 at the moment due to not having the space or time for it anymore but I've had some good times with it.

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 am

Megamixer wrote:^^^I was trying to make the point that when others criticised the 3DO, they were slating the format but saying it in a way that slated the actual hardware (which I thought was wrong since the two are separate things to judge).

Personally I like the 3DO and it has some ace games so I'm certainly not hating on it :) . Unfortunately having to sell my FZ-1 at the moment due to not having the space or time for it anymore but I've had some good times with it.
My bad :) Picked you up wrong there. I don't have mine at the minute either as I had to sell it but have every intention of reinvesting next year!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Although I'm somewhat of an Amiga fanboy, I'm surprised the CD32 wasn't in there.

However, I quite like the Mega CD (but not the 32X)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:02 am

woody.cool wrote:Although I'm somewhat of an Amiga fanboy, I'm surprised the CD32 wasn't in there.

However, I quite like the Mega CD (but not the 32X)
i kinda like the 32X though though more for its potential and what it could have been rather then what it is
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:41 pm

The PSP didn't deserve it's demise. It was a good bit of gear that was just neglected.