VHS classics

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sabreman

VHS classics

Post by Sabreman » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Ah... the 80s.

Every Saturday I'd accompany my mum into town as she did the weekly shopping. I'd only go so far though, because once we reached the video shop I'd break off, make the choice of entertainment for that night and return home with said prize and the means to make essential sandwiches. Of course I wouldn't wait for everyone to get home before watching the film, so I'd always end up seeing it a couple of times.

Some films though I chose to rent again and again (this was before actually owning films on tape really took off). There were of course the obvious choices like The Terminator and Aliens which I rented continually for months, but how about those other films that you kind of forget you enjoyed so much?

The Last Starfighter - remembered from yethboth's thread. This film got so many rentals before I finally bought it. Of course, as a kid obsessed with computer games the main attraction was the stunning CGI, but I did always enjoy the film as a whole. One of those films whose script is permanently burned into my brain.

Starchaser: The Legend of Orin - Near-legendary in the memory, a film that I can only remember a handful of scenes from specifically (though probably that's all there is to it). I remember this being an epic adventure with the most amazing animation. I've seen that it's available on R1 DVD now, so I may investigate further and see how it holds up.

The Neverending Story - Cheesy music aside I loved the idea of losing yourself in a dusty old book. And yes I fancied the princess.

Fire and Ice - The Other Bakshi Film I remember as a kid (I never saw Fritz the Cat). Bakshi's cheaty rotoscoping amazed me at the time, and I loved this kind of dark, almost adult treatment of a cartoon. I think the hero died in it too, which stunned me back then.

Troll - This film is probably utterly terrible to watch now, but I thought it was just the greatest back then.

Another treat for me in earlier years was the fact that my uncle had a VCR way before anyone else in the family, and I'd often stay over there watching whatever he'd rented at the time. Loads of horror stuff naturally - Superstition, The Burning, American Werewolf, and so forth. Apart from that though he always had great taste in films, and there I was first exposed to stuff like Lawrence of Arabia, 2001 A Space Odyssey, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and others. Films that to this day dominate my favourites. I also got my first dose of Carpenter there with The Thing.

As we went into the latter half of the 80s we enjoyed all those schlocky direct-to-video classics. Re-animator, House, Class of Nuk'em High, The Toxic Avenger. All great!

In recent years I managed to track down a copy of Gremloids, which I found hilarious back then. Oh boy... it has not aged well. Or I've aged beyond it.

Finally we get to films that certain parts of stay in the mind, but the name and overall story of the film is lost to memory. Something that may have been a horror parody... with a scene involving dock workers or a boat in the fog, and a killer in a yellow raincoat? Something else with a guy who ends up with a snake for an arm?

Phew... a bit of a self-indulgent ramble there, but I just got this buzz thinking about The Last Starfighter and all those old faves. I guess that's why we're here in the first place though :)

helloall

Post by helloall » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi mate,

Wow, Trolls I remeber that!

I have several VHS loves myself, Will just list em:

Battle beyond the stars
Battlestar
Ghoulies 1 & 2
Condorman
Critters
Tremors
Howard the duck
Buck Rogers

Does anyone think "bad" films can stand the test of time, I know I have fond memories of these.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:08 pm

helloall wrote:Hi mate,

Wow, Trolls I remeber that!

I have several VHS loves myself, Will just list em:

Battle beyond the stars
Battlestar
Ghoulies 1 & 2
Condorman
Critters
Tremors
Howard the duck
Buck Rogers

Does anyone think "bad" films can stand the test of time, I know I have fond memories of these.
WOW.!!! do you own a Condorman..? I paid a fortune for mine.. Still worth every penny though :)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:15 pm

Sabreman, you may want to visit www.badmovies.org they have a section on the forum where they can help you track down films you only remember parts of, they helped me track down the name of a film I'd been after for years and I could only describe one scene in it.
Splink!

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:51 pm

Thanks, I'll give badmovies a try. I've tracked down the snake arm one after a bit of random imdb searching. It's called The Bite, or Curse II: The Bite.

I think Condorman was the first film I saw at the cinema. I watched it again recently on DVD, still good :)

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:33 pm

John Huges for the win but they have been done to death.

Weekend at Bernies (1 & 2)
Weird Science.
Split Second. In fact any Rutger Hauer movie.
Ticks.
Night of the Comet. (Includes tempest game!)
Logans Run. (I'm going to keep mentioning it until it's re-released!)
Moon Zero Two. Catherine Schell in under wear. [/sweat]
Salute of the Jugger. No video store was complete without a copy.
Braindead - not the jackson one, the Bill Pullman one.
Better off dead.

Does anyone remember a film with two guys and girls they referred too a sluts, "the SWABBS" and a heavily modified VW? it was a sort of teen movie.

You can't mention the "Thing" without the "Fog". That was a found-late-at-night-on-channel-4-watching-tv-when-everyone-else-was-asleep movie. As was "Night of the Comet" actually.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:11 pm

Salute of the Jugger. Blimey.

Hails to Rutger Hauer for keeping that 80s VHS lifeblood flowing. Shoestring Sci-fi has a special place in the heart. I watched Cyborg recently, cheesy charm present and correct.

beesty

Post by beesty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:20 am

Conan The Barbarian great film with one of the best movie soundtracks of all time.
Critters
There is more but I just cant keep typing em all in.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:23 am

I remember 'Howard The Duck'. I thought it was an awful film, but in an interesting and entertaining way.

Has anyone else seen this forgotten film?

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:46 am

Ah the memories! Back in the 80s I lived close to a main shopping road and there was a 'Circle K' convenience store about half way up. They used to do a promotion of three red stickered videos for three nights for 50p. Most were truly abysmal...for that price you get what you pay for...however, you could sometimes pick up something not too bad. My mates and I used to club together for the cost of a rental and a pizza and have our own post pub late night film club. Some of our favourite rentals were:

The Wraith - Remake of 'High Plains Drifter' with Charlie Sheen and cars.

Missing in Action 1 and 2 - Chuck Norris does Rambo.

Wheels of Terror - War film based on Sven Hassel novels.

Streets of Fire - lots of stars before they were famous.

Savage Dawn - A so bad it's good Mad Max rip off.

Wheels of Fire - Dreadful Mad Max rip off but hilarious after a few beers.

Q: The Winged Serpent - Not too bad B-flick horror.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:52 am

Missing In Action 2 was a very good film.

Road House was also a good film.

Does anyone remember the film Steel Dawn with Patrick Swayze?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:04 am

I remember spending about 2 hours in our local video shop one night waiting for someone to bring the only copy of Commando they'd got back in, which they didn't meaning I had to go back the next day for it.

When my uncle and aunt used to babysit me I used to either get to pick a video myself or my uncle would pick one for me, that way I got to see things like Terminator, The Vindicator, Eliminators, Troll, Hawk The Slayer, Krull, Neon Maniacs, Remo and the Bruce Lee films, although they were heavily cut at the time. There was always one film I picked up every time, which showed a kid with some kind of laser gun attached to his arm but my uncle always used to say it was rubbish and wouldn't let me take it out, it was called Laserblast and he was probably right :D
Splink!

beesty

Post by beesty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:59 am

Remember seeing Poltergeist before it was officially released on video and probably like all the rest in this post watched ET before it even came out in the cinema in th UK.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:54 am

yethboth wrote: Does anyone remember the film Steel Dawn with Patrick Swayze?
Oh yes! I still have it on VHS somewhere in a cupboard. Got it when the Circle K was closing for the princely sum of 20p. Definitely one of the better post apocalyptic movies in a cheesey but enjoyable way. Hmmm! Might have to see if I can find it and watch it again for old times sake :)
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:37 am

Laserblast was pretty bad. We watched it when it was out on video and I remember us spending the whole time in stitches talking about how funny it would be a if a granny was possessed by the necklace he wears and had a laser gun.

Saw it again quite recently. Awful!