VHS classics

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:44 am

Sabreman wrote:Laserblast was pretty bad. We watched it when it was out on video and I remember us spending the whole time in stitches talking about how funny it would be a if a granny was possessed by the necklace he wears and had a laser gun.

Saw it again quite recently. Awful!
Now I have to track it down just to see how bad it really is :D
Splink!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:47 am

The Police Academy movies and Wargames got rented a lot in my house.

And Ghostbusters

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:26 am

Just bought Wargames as I realised to my horror that my girlfriend hasn't seen it! (she was only born in '84 though so I suppose she has an excuse).

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:21 pm

I remember this strange film when I was a kid, it was about this magical bowling ball type thing, named Bald Eye? wtf?

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:58 am

Does anyone remember this really dreadful ET rip off film called 'Mac And Me'?

It was a really bad film, but in a hilarious way.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:40 am

Have Kane and Abel on vhs myself,be great if it was remastered and released on dvd.
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:43 am

Alreayd mentioned this in the other rental movie thread in off topic but what the hell....

Robot Jox was a great movie, giant robots battling it out in a post WW3 world. Brilliant cheesy stuff.

I remeber STAR CHASER: THE LEGEND OF ORIN from my youth. We rented it once, but my mother turned it off becasue it had sexual references and swareing from the ships computers and the capatain!!

I watched it years later and it is the sinlge best star wars rip off ever. You have a young man on a mining planet ruled by a halfman halfmachine dictator who has a robot army and rules the planets with an iron fist. The young man is told he is the only one who can restore the galaxy back to its peaceful self with the help of an invisible blade/sword and a happy go lucky starship captain and his whacked out ships computer who is in love with him lol....its some great stuff, and the 3D animation is excellent.

On the video releases it was just reduced to Computer Animation (you can still see the 3D bits on some releases) but on its cinema release it was fully blown 3D in your face (as much as two quality sweet wrapper inspired glasses would allow anyway) action!
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:50 pm

80's movies will always be the best.
here's my favs:

Aliens
Terminator
Battle Beyond The Stars (found this movie on Sky once. Loved it. And no, It wasn't because of Sybil Danning's Chest pillows!!!!!)
Starchaser: Legend Of Orin (i found this on video for a quid about a year ago!)
Big Trouble In Little China
FireWalker
Missing in Action 1 and 2
pretty much any other Chuck Norris Movie made in the 80' and that includes Invasion USA
The Thing
KRULL (no list is complete without it)
Rambo
Ghostbusters
the list goes on and on.
yes, some were cheesy. So cheesy in fact, you could spread it on toast, but by god, they were enjoyable because of it. Films nowadays are made too seriously. Back then they were fun popcorn fodder. now its Just sit down and watch.
Take FireWalker. A shameless Indiana Jones rip off, set in modern times, with old Chucky boy, but it has a sh!t load of humour, loads of action and the bit of stuff from Flash Gordon. I think its a cracking film and worth buying DVD (region 1 only though. worth importing)
They don't make em like that any more, which is a shame.
I think its because people have to be Politically Correct nowadays, which is cobblers. I'll never be politically correct. and i dont aim to start being so now!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:58 am

yethboth wrote:Does anyone remember this really dreadful ET rip off film called 'Mac And Me'?

It was a really bad film, but in a hilarious way.
I quite liked that film when I was little
Watching you sleep since 1990

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:05 pm

Sega2006 wrote:I quite liked that film when I was little
Last year? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:43 pm

A little further back then that, I havent seen it in 8 years.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:25 pm

An absolutely awful straight-to-video turkey called Bates Motel springs to mind. It was a spin-off from Psycho III, and it was simply dire.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:38 pm

VHS ruled my childhood.

I remember when I was about ten, I was at a car boot sale and bought a copy of a film called Blood Diner. Why they sold it to me, I don't know. Me and my mate only watched half of it.

Here is the synopsis..

Two cannibalistic brothers kill various young women to make their flesh part of their new special dish at their rundown restaurant while seeking blood sacrifices to awaken a dormant Egyptian goddess.
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:57 pm

No-ones mentioned Beastmaster, awesome film!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

CLOADM

Post by CLOADM » Mon May 05, 2008 1:43 pm

Loved Beastmaster - the sequels were smelly though.
:lol:
Aside from the usual Krulls and Trons and what not, we rented a lot of dodgy horror video's when i were a lad - i think it was before they really cracked down on the video nasties. I have vivid memories of City Of The Living Dead, and watching Friday The 13th with half the screen missing cos the tracking was pulling at the top so much, and i remember my kid sister crying with fear when we put Creepshow on. And that was before the tape went in! I think she went running off to her room before the kid in the film got his visit from the ol' Creepmeister.
Later on, i think about 1987-88 i used to rent a film called Freaky Fairy Tales more or less every week, it was a horror anthology thing and it was bloody hilarious. I think it went by the name of Deadtime Stories in the US.
End Of Line