Philips Discoverer

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Post Reply
User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Philips Discoverer

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:17 am

A telly made by Philips, around 1990-ish... I saw one in Manchester yesterday and haven't stopped thinking about it since, and it's something that I now desire for some reason.
Image

It's got wheels and everything! Anyone got one, or ever had one? There's one on eBay at the moment but I'm not paying £225 for one, no. Does it have a SCART hole I wonder? It's something nice to "aspire" towards at least.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

User avatar
Katzkatz
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:03 pm
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Philips Discoverer

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:55 am

Yep - I remember that TV. My late grandmother used to have one for her spare room. It does have 1 SCART socket, I believe. It's look cool and funky.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26621
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Philips Discoverer

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:15 am

Isn't it a copy, or at the very least inspired by, a 70s TV? I remember a mate having one when I was a kid that had the space helmet design. Always liked it but never owned one. The bulkof the case does make the screen look small inside though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
PeeJay1980
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Merseyside
Contact:

Re: Philips Discoverer

Post by PeeJay1980 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:22 pm

After something similar myself, flat screens are too boring, I want George Jetson's telly!
Image

User avatar
oldtimer
Posts: 2739
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Sunnyvale California I WISH !!

Re: Philips Discoverer

Post by oldtimer » Sun May 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Isn't it a copy, or at the very least inspired by, a 70s TV? I remember a mate having one when I was a kid that had the space helmet design. Always liked it but never owned one. The bulkof the case does make the screen look small inside though.
They were copied from an earlier 70s version ,
Ive owned a JVC version before, and you dont have to pay through the nose for them ,you can pick one up for well under £100 nowadays if your not overly choosy on which version you want and if its b/w or colour.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

User avatar
Joey
Posts: 3842
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:45 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Philips Discoverer

Post by Joey » Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:A telly made by Philips, around 1990-ish... I saw one in Manchester yesterday and haven't stopped thinking about it since, and it's something that I now desire for some reason.
Image

It's got wheels and everything! Anyone got one, or ever had one? There's one on eBay at the moment but I'm not paying £225 for one, no. Does it have a SCART hole I wonder? It's something nice to "aspire" towards at least.
If you really want one I have a friend who wants to get rid of his :)
Image

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Philips Discoverer

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri May 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Interesting... Any idea how I'd get it to my house? I'm one of those people who doesn't know how to drive, unfortunately :(
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest