Big scary freaks that visit schools

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Big scary freaks that visit schools

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:03 am

In a "blast from the past" sense, remember when large-headed anthromorphic types would visit schools and the like to teach valuable lessons? People like Wellyphant here, who'd tell you the dangers of playing with matches and all that:

Anyone? Or any others?

A friend last night was telling me about "The Bird Man" - he'd visit schools and tell them things about birds, but I can't find any Google stuff about him...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

joefish

Re: Big scary freaks that visit schools

Post by joefish » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:36 am

What the hell's that scrawny middle one? Clearly a fake - a quick call to the local plod is in order, methinks.

Back in my day we didn't have Wellyphant. Still, that was a country-wide fire-safety promotion. There were a whole load of official Wellyphant costumes passed around between fire services.

In the primary school, we did have one guy who would make regular visits to all the schools in the area to show off a menagerie of animals. This was in East Northants, and I seem to remember his name was Mr. Keeling. He'd bring in great long snakes for us all to hold, a gecko he'd let climb the glass windows, and one time a large eagle. What I do remember is that he had lost two fingers of one hand and an eye to his various animals!

At secondary school in Kettering, I learned that the husband of my physics teacher (whose name, I presume was Mr. Marshall) did a similar thing. The science prep room was once host to one of their eagle owls - a huge creature that would sit so still you'd think it was stuffed and just ignore it, like a piece of furniture. But then it could glide across the classroom over your head and you wouldn't hear a thing to indicate it was coming.

I've seen plenty of other falconry displays at country fairs to know there are a lot of people up and down the country who do similar - I doubt it was one person alone.
Last edited by joefish on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:39 am

I'm sure we had Dennis the Menace visit our primary school to promote luminous yellow arm bands that all kids were given. The idea was that we were all supposed to wear them in the streets to make ourselves more visible to motorists (I think I still have my armband somewhere). It was also sponsored by Vauxhall and called Glo Power or something but I have no idea what Dennis had to do with it though!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:52 pm

joefish wrote:In the primary school, we did have one guy who would make regular visits to all the schools in the area to show off a menagerie of animals. This was in East Northants, and I seem to remember his name was Mr. Keeling. He'd bring in great long snakes for us all to hold, a gecko he'd let climb the glass windows, and one time a large eagle. What I do remember is that he had lost two fingers of one hand and an eye to his various animals!
Yep, we had that guy visit too. He must have gotten around a fair bit, as I lived in Brighton at the time.

Otherwise we'd get biannual visits from the police, fire service and even the gas and electricity boards and even BT would turn up fairly regularly. Such visits would always coincide with reports in the local paper of kids "getting up to no good", breaking in to shops, setting fires, trashing phone boxes etc.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:21 am

Only one I can think of is Brian Jacks who visited our school

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 am

We had a Wellyphant visit (thankfully not the one in the penultimate pic or I'd have been interviewed for an ITV documentary or something) and a sheep. A real sheep that had wandered from a farm.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 am

Ah, the unexpected animal visits... A horse found its way onto our school field one time, that was fun. It was at lunchtime as well so people were chasing it and trying to ride it.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:06 am

Nobody had a visit from Sexual Harassment Panda then?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:21 am

Darth Vader came to my school (moonlighting as the Green Cross Code Man), and some bloke dressed as that road safety squirrel chap.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:12 am

All i seem to remember is a talking zebra crossing light..?? or at least it had a face on it.. for some reason Billy belisha beacon springs to mind.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:33 am

djcarlos wrote:Darth Vader came to my school (moonlighting as the Green Cross Code Man), and some bloke dressed as that road safety squirrel chap.
Tufty.

Weren't you a member of the Tufty Club?
ImageImage

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:26 am

Fishsta wrote:
djcarlos wrote:Darth Vader came to my school (moonlighting as the Green Cross Code Man), and some bloke dressed as that road safety squirrel chap.
Tufty.

Weren't you a member of the Tufty Club?
I remember Tufty the Squirrel. There was also Willy the Weasel but he presumably never made school visits on account of being permanently hospitalized.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Didn't have Wellyphant in my day(cue the music from the "Hovis advert"). However, about once a year, at primary school, you got visited by the police, British Rail(pre-privatisation days) and fire brigade. They'd bring a short information film with them, at first it was on cinefilm(projector needed), but later on it was on VHS. I do remember for British Rail it was a drama about some kids playing on railway lines and how one of them gets killed and another seriously injured. Quite shocking, but I suppose they had to be so as to warn of the dangers. I think the police came along to warm of the dangers of going off with strangers in their cars. They even had some song that they sung to you for that. I do remember getting some of those silver plastic triangles that you were meant to sew to your coat for some road safety thing, I think the police also did that as well.

It didn't really happen that much at secondary school. The only ones that I can remember were the police came and show drama about stealing. The police officer then went on about how a criminal record could affect your chances of getting a job - shame a boy in my class didn't take too much notice about that and is now serving some time at her Majesty's pleasure. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: The other one was about "drinking driving". A group of people came and acted out a play for us and then had a discussion about the dangers of it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:10 am

Yeah, the train people showed us a video too - I only remember the bit that showed a crow flying near the line, and as soon as the tip of its wing touched the live rail the whole bird exploded. That was fairly interesting.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:50 am

Katzkatz wrote:the police came along to warm of the dangers of going off with strangers in their cars.
That warm feeling you only get from a stranger, eh? :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: