Teletext

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Roo

Re: Teletext

Post by Roo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:07 am

I still used Teletext up until the day the digital switchover took place a few years ago. I miss it too!

faultygoomba

Post by faultygoomba » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:29 am

Never liked Teletext. What a load of drivel. Very little of it had anything to do with gaming, and the discussion wasn't very clever.

I think most people including me only read it because it was free. Waka Waka Waka. Boing.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 am

We didn't get a TV at my parents home that was capable of Teletext until about 1991 and I must admit I didn't use it very often. Then of course a few years later the Internet sort of took off and teletext looked dated by then.

I have no doubt that when it first started out with CeeFax and Oracle, it must have seemed pretty hi-tech. I never did get to 'page my oracle' though. :(

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Would read Digitizer religiously every morning to get my daily games info. Good memories, having to wait for the bloody pages to come back round then pressing hold to read it and then waiting again, I was a little slow, lol.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Digi fans should head over to www.teletext.org.uk where they have a sizable archive of Digi pages :)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:31 pm

thanks for the digi info

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:15 am

Mancman wrote:Would read Digitizer religiously every morning to get my daily games info. Good memories, having to wait for the bloody pages to come back round then pressing hold to read it and then waiting again, I was a little slow, lol.
Lol, i used ot do exactly the same haha , :lol:
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:43 pm

DrBlue wrote:Digi fans should head over to http://www.teletext.org.uk where they have a sizable archive of Digi pages :)

I especially like this page

Does a smaple disc even count? And how many copies would you have to sell to be the 5th most popular CDi game?

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Anybody remember the 'code' pages that you could download to a BBC Micro. I got my hands on the big slab of modern'ish type thing that you needed to use these pages once... and it actually worked.

You could download these pages as BBC micro programs - WOW, technology eh, brilliant!!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:44 pm

GarryG wrote:Anybody remember the 'code' pages that you could download to a BBC Micro. I got my hands on the big slab of modern'ish type thing that you needed to use these pages once... and it actually worked.

You could download these pages as BBC micro programs - WOW, technology eh, brilliant!!
Was that through the BBC teletext adaptor?
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!