Trying to remember an old tv advert

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

william

Trying to remember an old tv advert

Post by william » Sat May 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi,just wondering if anyone can tell me what a 70's tv ad was all about that's been bugging me for years,what I think i can remember is a man in a overcoat and bunnet trying to speak French to an artic lorry driver who he thinks is french,about reversing his truck in a yard,but at the end of the ad the driver says something like' I didn't know there was many Frenchmen in Birmingham'(or something like that),and the ad finishes with a close up of the bunnet wearing man,there may be a few mistakes in my description as alot of time has passed since seeing it back then,I've tried searching for it but never found anything

deadpan666

Re: Trying to remember an old tv advert

Post by deadpan666 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Yeah, I remember that ad as well...think it was a public information film or something! Been years since I saw it too....I'm off to hunt for it on Youtube! :)

*Edit* Couldn't find it, but I did discover it was Graham Stark who starred in it, and the line was "Are there many of you French fellas in Sheffield?"...if that helps...
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

william

Post by william » Sun May 26, 2013 7:58 pm

I had tried youtube as well with no luck,the more I thought about it I originally thought it was in Yorkshire,but yeah it probably would be a public information film,I do remember that there was no narrator or voice over,but remembered that I have the 'Charlie says' DVD so will go check that out,but well done as I didn't even get as far as discovering the actor or the actual spoken line lol

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Mon May 27, 2013 2:41 pm

you can try looking here
http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/pifs/pifs_a-f.html
i had a quick look but couldn't find it

DISCLAIMER:may contain nostalgia overload.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"