Mixtapes

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

dste

Mixtapes

Post by dste » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Or various as we used to call them growing up.

Did anyone use to make mixtapes when they were younger?

Found one earlier that I had made years ago which featured the likes of Guns 'n' Roses, Skid Row, AC/DC and Black Sabbath amongst others. I used to make them all the time and used to have some rather different bands next to each other like one tape I did had Sepultura 'Roots' followed by a Def Leppard ballard which actually worked. :lol:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Mixtapes

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Yeah, still got most of mine!

My first ever one started out with the Comix Zone soundtrack (I had a Comix Zone CD but no CD player, so I was shown how to put it on a tape). There was still loads of space left on the tape, so the parents' record collection was used mostly.

Before making my own, my mum had made us a Queen mixtape, and a tape full of novelty songs ("Do The Bartman", "Donald Where's Your Troosers", "Stutter Rap" etc).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Used to make them all the time on those trusty maxell C90's!

Mostly with the classic 70's rock & "hair rock" of the late 80's on them, but I do also remember doing one tape with side 1 as studio recordings of various bands such as Thin Lizzy, Queen, Guns N roses etc.... but then side 2 had the same track list but Live versions of the same songs.

I've just given myself an idea for a great playlist on my ipod now :)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 pm

yeah usually with 90 min tapes and a stack of cd's
later on i moved to cdr's and discmans and played the same collection cd until i got sick off it and then made a new one

these days i got an ipod and play lists
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:36 pm

snowkatt wrote:yeah usually with 90 min tapes and a stack of cd's
CDs didn't exist then, it was vinyl or tape to tape (with the odd track nicked off the radio).

The challenge was always trying to find that last track or two to exactly fill the last few minutes of tape so you didn't get an age of hiss at the end.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:43 am

it happend in the 1990's as well and cd's excisted then (as well as in the 80's they just were very expensive )
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:46 am

I used to record end credits music I liked from my laser disc player. Example, as bad as escape from LA was, leaving in the little bit of dialogue kurt Russell says before the cracking white zombie/rob zombie tune kicked in made it just that bit better

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:21 am

Oh yes! And still got most of them.

Compiling them lead to DJing in my case, getting the ebb and flow of tracks right, playing to the audience (if it was a tape for someone else - especially a girl 8) )....used to make "cut & paste" style mixes with the trusty old double-cassette deck.

Me and my mate learnt to beatmix using an Amstrad music system which had a pitch control on both tape decks!

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu May 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Yup!

Far easier to put my favorite stuff onto 1 tape than fill my schoolbag with a dozen or so tapes.

Made a cracker back in 94 from my recordings of Radio 1s live coverage of Donnington.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:31 am

Ahh the good ol' days of trying to stop a song at the end just before the dreaded radio h ost comes back on air.

ME: 'I'm gonna get it, I'm gonna get it perfect'
RADIO: 'Another great single by.....'
ME: *PAUSE*
'FUUUUUUUUU'

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 pm

it had to be made from songs from the chart, or as i was a bit more alternative and indie in my early teens onwards it was the evening session. i had to keep bits of steve lamacq on there as i soon learned the lesson of if i didnt then i would have no idea what was on there.

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sun May 26, 2013 11:22 pm

Damn, I was still rocking a tape walkman and playing mixtapes on it until at least 2003 / 04. Mainly custom heavy metal comps by that point in time, complied from the free CD's from the heavy metal magazines at that time. Earlier in the 90's I was massively into the hardcore rave mixtapes that were pretty damned popular back then. I was also a big fan of the officially released dance / pop compilation tapes in the 90's. Groovy Ghetto 2, Club Zone and Best of Dance 92 still exist somewhere in my house, having survived the great purges my tape collection has gone through over the past decade.

Oh yes please!
And this bird you'll never change...

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:44 pm

I had mix tapes until My brief tenure with mini-disks which ended when my mini-disc player/recorder fell apart and t discovered windows media player for pocket PC now I'm on MP3 players.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:53 pm

One of the ones near me got raided loads of times and closed down for renting out pirated copies.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:24 am

I used to make mixtapes to the girls I fancied in school :oops:

The volume of work put in (Music selection/cover design) put didnt equate to what was put out....................so to speak :shock: :oops: :cry: