Characters who died in Cartoons

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

LAIS

Re: Characters who died in Cartoons

Post by LAIS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:18 am

Animals of Farthing Wood was a massacre. They killed main character, minor characters and even babies in brutal ways. This image of the rat babies impaled on thorns by Shrikes still haunts my dreams:

Bloody hell, still can't believe they got away with airing that in a kid's show!!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:15 am

oh well in that case water ship down was pretty brutal as well

the movie not that new cartoon
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 pm

look at it sideways wrote:Animals of Farthing Wood was a massacre. They killed main character, minor characters and even babies in brutal ways. This image of the rat babies impaled on thorns by Shrikes still haunts my dreams:

Bloody hell, still can't believe they got away with airing that in a kid's show!!
Ha I can still recall when Badger died. :wink:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Roy Fokker dies in Robotech. It's really tragic and sad, but also damned confusing. So he gets shot through his Veritech's cockpit or something. Now, after the battle he doesn't seek medical attention. No, he just gets on with life, goes to his girlfriend's for dinner and promptly dies. I mean, surely he was bleeding out the hole?? Or internally? Wouldn't you notice?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:29 am

Shot through the cockpit?
Sounds painful.

manxman

Post by manxman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:17 am

Well does Mufaser Simba's dad in Lion King count?

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:17 am

snowkatt wrote:oh well in that case water ship down was pretty brutal as well
Well, it was meant to be. The Plague Dogs too. Both based on books that were far from fluffy-bunny children's stories.

Obviously the more adult-oriented animé from Japan has lots of nasty deaths. And people point to Ghibli's Grave of the Fireflies as one of the saddest films ever made - it follows two Japanese children who lose their parents to the first atomic bombs trying to survive as they at first stay with relatives, then are thrown out on their own as food is rationed - all the time displaying increasing signs of severe radiation sickness.

And the film makers and author behind annual Channel 4 favourite The Snowman also produced When The Wind Blows, the story of a retired couple in an isolated Sussex cottage trying to follow the radio advice for survival following a Russian nuclear strike. Similarly sentimental and tragic.
Last edited by joefish on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:21 pm

yeah but most people still seem to equate animation automatically means kids fare
even if there is a big honking red 18 or 16 on it ( kinda like with video games )

and im aware of grave of the fireflies

anybody who thinks animation is only for children needs to watch that
they wil have their illusions soundly crushed

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed May 01, 2013 5:43 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Shot through the cockpit?
Sounds painful.
:lol: you just improved my day 110%

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:48 am

*Presses Ctrl + F*

*Doesn't see bambi*

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?! D:

XD
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:00 pm

What about in Transformers : The Movie cartoon? Optimus Prime goes to the big scrapyard in the sky! That was quite emotional at the time.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:31 am

Katzkatz wrote:What about in Transformers : The Movie cartoon? Optimus Prime goes to the big scrapyard in the sky! That was quite emotional at the time.

i mentioned transformers the movie
not oppie because well thats kind of expected
Starlight wrote:*Presses Ctrl + F*

*Doesn't see bambi*

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?! D:

XD

never saw bambie
i have the movie
i just never botherd to watch it

Wolf007

Post by Wolf007 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Optimus Prime's death is one of those "had to have been a child at the time" kind of thing to really get the emotional impact. The cartoon itself was a silly way to waste a half hour watching our favorite toys do their thing. Then we all went to the movie expecting the same thing. $#!@ got real the minute prowl gets shot and that red smoke comes out of his mouth. Then the touch starts playing, prime gets all awesome and the most epic thing a 7 year old me has ever seen happens. Then the hero that was supposed to save the day dies. Minds were blown, toys sell, and childhood memories are made.

I also remember Exo-Squad. Man that show was awesome. There was a lot of great writing, lots of main characters on both sides dying some pretty brutal and ugly deaths. the most brutal was a character who loses the left side of his body, and has to be replaced with cybernetics. He saves the lives of one of the main characters and carries him to safety, but doing so overheats the cybernetics which burn him to death.

Gargoyles was another series with a buttload of death. The second episode features a type of sanitized suicide. With a character asking to be put into a sleep he has no desire or expectation to ever wake up from after seeing his entire family suffer the same spell. Throughout the series other characters do die, such as the archmage, hakon, as well as several side characters.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Transformers The Movie is brutal in terms of deaths and I agree with all the coments on it thus far. It was like the purge of most G1 Transformers, either being shot, crushed, melted, eaten.....and when Prime hands over the matrix after the battle and dies, it almost makes me cry. Starscreams death is also pretty nasty.

Watership Down has some death in it too from memory and was very sad.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:09 am

watership down has plenty of death

and starscream dying is ahigh point for me in tf the movie
i hate that character so much even more now that he always comes back he is a cliche unto himself when he is around you dont wonder if he wil betray megatron
just when