Characters who died in Cartoons

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7517
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Characters who died in Cartoons

Post by Shinobi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Does anybody remember any eighty's/Nintys cartoons where anybody died? I watched some He Man episodes recently and quite surprised some of the villains died

He Man
Evil Seed death is quite nasty, after 'He Man' smashes a block of ice to make it snow he shrivels up screaming
Lord Masque die's when He Man cuts his Mask in half as his soul was in his Mask as far I can tell from He Man fan sites
Shokati He Man crushes her with one of her own statue's of herself

Head Hunter the Drug Dealer die's on GI Joe/Action Force the only person in the cartoon to die..

I know Mark dies in Battle of the Planets(Zoltan kills him)but a lot was cut from the UK version and Uylesses a lot of the things he killed had machinery when they where cut up
Last edited by Shinobi on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
Fishsta
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Northwich, Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Villians who died in Cartoons

Post by Fishsta » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:55 pm

I know your title says "villains", but I remember Jaga in the first episode of Thundercats...
ImageImage

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Villians who died in Cartoons

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 pm

I remember a couple from Darkwing Duck...

One involved the villain falling into a vat of acid/toxic waster/lava (whatever, it was a long time ago).
The other involved the villain's brain expanding to an enormous size before eventually blowing up.

And also, a few of the later episodes of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles had the rock soldiers disintegrating into rubble (they're living rocks! Not robots like the Foot Soldiers).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: Villians who died in Cartoons

Post by snowkatt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:50 am

does transformers the movie count ?

unicron dies
starscream dies
megatron thundercracker bombshell and several others basically die
the quentessons seem to kick the bucket too
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Villians who died in Cartoons

Post by Treguard » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:38 pm

If anyone remembers Exo Squad, Phaeton was killed by Nara Burns in the second season. Grune was already dead but his spirit was destroyed in Thundercats.

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3070
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:05 am

Re: Villians who died in Cartoons

Post by joefish » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:58 pm

snowkatt wrote:does transformers the movie count ?
Between the movies, comics and cartoon series, Optimus Prime has died several times. Probably more times than all the villains put together...

Big Disney movies tend to kill off various characters; good guys and parents at the start, bad guys nearer the end. If a cartoon series is backed by a toy line they're unlikely to kill anyone off permanently in case it hits sales.

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Villians who died in Cartoons

Post by Treguard » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Duke was supposed to die in the GI Joe Movie, but after Hasbro saw the backlash about Optimus Prime's death in Transformers the Movie, they just had him end up in a coma despite being stabbed through the heart.

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: Villians who died in Cartoons

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 am

joefish wrote:
snowkatt wrote:does transformers the movie count ?
Between the movies, comics and cartoon series, Optimus Prime has died several times. Probably more times than all the villains put together...

yeehees thats actually kind of a trope and running joke with transformers fans
we usually end up wondering when not if optimus dies and how long it takes before him to come back
the marvel comics optimus died at least 4 times

he appeared to die in target 2006

a facsimilie of him was destroyed in prey ( and thought to be the real thing )

he commited suicide over a video game ( !! ) in afterdeath ...seriously

he died in on the edge of extinction when flying in to unicron with the matrix

and he died again at the end of G2 a rage in heaven when using the matrix again to purge the swarm while being eaten alive by the swarm

he had a few near death expriences in beast wars

optimus primal died at the end of beast wars season 1 and returned after 3 episodes in season 2

optimus prime from tfa died in episode 3 and came back to live after 90 seconds ! ...its a new record

dying is kind of an hobby for oppie's
its about as big a joke as seeing jean grey dead again
in fact the death of oppie has its own tf wiki page http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_many_deaths_of_Optimus_Prime
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: Villians who died in Cartoons

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 am

Treguard wrote:If anyone remembers Exo Squad, Phaeton was killed by Nara Burns in the second season. Grune was already dead but his spirit was destroyed in Thundercats.

i remember exo squad
it was remarkably dark and depressing for a cartoon
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Villians who died in Cartoons

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:59 am

snowkatt wrote:i remember exo squad
it was remarkably dark and depressing for a cartoon
Hated it at the time, it was always the last thing on before Rocko's Modern Life on a Sunday morning, so it was a depressing half-hour wait. The toys were good, mind.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Villians who died in Cartoons

Post by Treguard » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:35 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
snowkatt wrote:i remember exo squad
it was remarkably dark and depressing for a cartoon
Hated it at the time, it was always the last thing on before Rocko's Modern Life on a Sunday morning, so it was a depressing half-hour wait. The toys were good, mind.
It's very well written for a kids cartoon, it's basically WWII redone as a space war cartoon with other issues such as slavery and racism. You're right was a bit grim at times, I remember an episode clearly inspired by the Dirty Dozen where they had a new character die in a parachute jump on an infiltration mission. Not exactly He-Man telling kids to look both ways before crossing the street.

User avatar
parappa
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 am

Re: Characters who died in Cartoons

Post by parappa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:13 am

In the 90s X Men one of the X Men died in the first episode. It wasn't a comic character, some no name character they made up just for the episode to shock you and show how dark the show was. I'm sure they must have killed some people in Batman TAS.

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Characters who died in Cartoons

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 am

parappa wrote:I'm sure they must have killed some people in Batman TAS.
I remember a flashback in one episode of a kid getting run over by a train - would flashbacks count?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

User avatar
Fishsta
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Northwich, Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Characters who died in Cartoons

Post by Fishsta » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:04 am

parappa wrote:In the 90s X Men one of the X Men died in the first episode. It wasn't a comic character, some no name character they made up just for the episode to shock you and show how dark the show was. I'm sure they must have killed some people in Batman TAS.
Morph.

I seem to think he was "saved" and brainwashed to be a bad guy in series 2.
ImageImage

User avatar
thebear
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 am

Re: Characters who died in Cartoons

Post by thebear » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 am

Fishsta wrote:
parappa wrote:In the 90s X Men one of the X Men died in the first episode. It wasn't a comic character, some no name character they made up just for the episode to shock you and show how dark the show was. I'm sure they must have killed some people in Batman TAS.
Morph.

I seem to think he was "saved" and brainwashed to be a bad guy in series 2.

Image
You called?
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests