Oh how times have changed...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Oh how times have changed...

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun May 05, 2013 8:55 pm

bobturnip wrote:Things i reckon we will be adding to this list in about 10 years time :

CDs
Books
Book shops
Music shops
Magazines
Newspapers
Desktop PCs
Video games on hard-format
Blu ray & DVDs
International Independent Music Store Day a couple of weekends ago. Radio 2 said sales of Vinyl is outstripping CDs, which is keeping the small music shops in business. Remember when they said CDs would be the death of vinyl records ? I think it'sthe same for books; sales of actual paper books aren't doing too badly apparantly. I've taken to reading alot of books recently. Other than some magazines I don't use e-books at all.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon May 06, 2013 8:38 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:What I want to know is how on earth we ever managed to get by without cash-machines? The only way to get cash was to go to the bank - which was only open 930-330 Mon-Fri, so if you were working you were stuffed!

Also how on earth did we know the answer to anything? Think of a simple question - who won the FA Cup in 1984? You would ask all your mates, and possibly get 2 or 3 different answers. The only way to truly find out was to go to a library or a bookshop and find the answer inside. And that was just for a simple question!
I think there were a lot more banks around back then and also a lot of people got paid in cash, I remember my dad bringing home a wage packet with his wages in cash every week when I was young, back then the payslip was in the envelope with the money rather than the entire contents of the envelope. Most people were paid weekly as well, non of this monthly rubbish, bills were mostly in cash too as I dont think direct debits came in till the late 80s
wikipedia has been useless, it doesnt seem to realise I dont care they were introduced in Germany in the 50s

Imagining being paid weekly nowadays I dont fancy that idea much, I get paid monthly and work in a shady town :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Weekly pay is great. You can go out at the weekend, blow all your cash, then you only have to scrape through a few days until you get more. Much easier than monthly pay. Monthly pay only benefits employers, as they don't have to waste resources calculating and paying out so often, its only one hit per month instead of four. And of course they make more on the interest holding onto everyone's cash for the extra 3 weeks.

My first job paid me weekly in cash, working for the Co-Op bakery, packing and loading loaves.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon May 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Weekly pay is great. You can go out at the weekend, blow all your cash, then you only have to scrape through a few days until you get more. Much easier than monthly pay. Monthly pay only benefits employers, as they don't have to waste resources calculating and paying out so often, its only one hit per month instead of four. And of course they make more on the interest holding onto everyone's cash for the extra 3 weeks.

My first job paid me weekly in cash, working for the Co-Op bakery, packing and loading loaves.
my first job was weekly pay too, i was a dogsbody in a pub, some places pay every 4 weeks, what a pain that was

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 pm

I get paid weekly, couldn't imagine living any other way. Monthly was nice in that you got a bigger load of money in one go, but then waiting and waiting until the next payday... Nah, didn't like that.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:32 pm

I just stumbled across this thread very interesting

First of all the phone box, there is all about 10 minutes walk from my photo of my house. As mentioned previously it gets destroyed on a regular basis people smash the glass. They take activity great pleasure in removing the handset. I've never seen anyone use it and very much doubt it will ever be used again. There's also a phone box across the road from my work, it never gets used in fact the only time anyone ever goes near it, is when the guy comes to change the advertising it is wrapped it. I passed an the old school red box right outside a council office it was nicely painted and even the gold Crown was packed out with gold coloured paint, however it was full of takeaway wrappers presumably from the takeaway down the road and it also smelt of pish.

The milkman up until very recently there was a van delivering milk in my area, however this has now stopped. Since a lot of people now get there shopping delivered they will just order milk with that.

Video rental stores even a small town I grew up in, that had two stores one did VHS and all when did Betamax. There is still a Blockbuster in the town I now live in however there is always empty with the Internet and on demand TV these shops are sadly I've gone forever.

Terrestrial television, I remember sitting down with my whole family watching that stupid Channel 5 countdown and then we got to see The Spice Girls on Channel 5. I have only sky television for about two years now and to be honest were going to cancel it because the majority stuff we now watch is on Netflix or BBC iplayer, 4OD, etc.

I got paid weekly from my first job in 94 up until 2003 we were paid in cash up about 2000 the only thing that changed was the cash was missing from me brown envelope with the dotmatrix printed wage slip. As far as I am aware that is still how that company pays it staff even today
I know of agency staff that still get paid weekly. For me monthly pay works far better.

I remember when I was a kid going with my mum and aunt for the weekly big shop we went to Tesco in the late 80s even then all the prices were still typed in manually crazy to think now.

I miss having a choice in the computer world (not for gaming but real work) remember it could be Commodore, Atari, Acorn, PC, or Mac. I still remember taking up high school reports on my Commodore Amiga.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon May 20, 2013 11:07 am

Going back to the old phone box I mentioned when I first thought up this topic, I saw a fella using it on Friday. I was pretty amazed, as it's been some time since I've seen anyone use it for a long time. I had to look twice to insure my eyes were not deceiving me. Mind you, he looked a disheveled sort, perhaps he didn't own a mobile phone?

Talking about mobiles, how the flip did we survive without them? I had my first mobile phone in about 1999, and I've became pretty attached to these wonders of modern telecommunications. I mean, think about it, when you arranged to meet some one back in the day, you had to set a time and a place, if the other person didn't turn up, or you were late, it created a huge amount of problems. These days, assuming our phones have full charge - and if you're on a pay as you go - the phone has enough credit, we can contact anyone, almost anywhere.

These days, if I leave the house without my phone or the battery dies, I feel disconnected somehow. Even though I lived happily for over 21 years with no mobile phone, If my phone isn't on hand, it feels very odd.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 20, 2013 5:38 pm

I get paid weekly and it's great. Saying that, getting paid monthly is exactly the same; you just need to budget yourself and not be stupid enough to blow more than a quarter of it a week. Probably very easy to do though!
MattyC64c wrote:Talking about mobiles, how the flip did we survive without them? I had my first mobile phone in about 1999, and I've became pretty attached to these wonders of modern telecommunications. I mean, think about it, when you arranged to meet some one back in the day, you had to set a time and a place, if the other person didn't turn up, or you were late, it created a huge amount of problems. These days, assuming our phones have full charge - and if you're on a pay as you go - the phone has enough credit, we can contact anyone, almost anywhere.
Before they were so integral to our lives, people didn't expect everybody to be instantly available anywhere so I don't think it was such a problem. Now that we have them it would be impossible to go back such are everybody's expectations but before, getting hold of people with little effort involved wasn't really a given. We've definitely been spoilt and I'm not sure it's a such a good thing that we rely on the flippin' things so much.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:26 pm

My sister is really bad on the mobile front, she will send you a text if you do not respond with 5 mins then she will send another and another and another.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 pm

MattyC64c wrote:Going back to the old phone box I mentioned when I first thought up this topic, I saw a fella using it on Friday. I was pretty amazed, as it's been some time since I've seen anyone use it for a long time. I had to look twice to insure my eyes were not deceiving me. Mind you, he looked a disheveled sort, perhaps he didn't own a mobile phone?

Talking about mobiles, how the flip did we survive without them? I had my first mobile phone in about 1999, and I've became pretty attached to these wonders of modern telecommunications. I mean, think about it, when you arranged to meet some one back in the day, you had to set a time and a place, if the other person didn't turn up, or you were late, it created a huge amount of problems. These days, assuming our phones have full charge - and if you're on a pay as you go - the phone has enough credit, we can contact anyone, almost anywhere.

These days, if I leave the house without my phone or the battery dies, I feel disconnected somehow. Even though I lived happily for over 21 years with no mobile phone, If my phone isn't on hand, it feels very odd.
Most phone boxes recieve incoming calls for those fond of drugs

I got my first mobile in 2000 aged 18. If you had a best friend like mine at the time it was a pain before then as he was notorious for being late

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 pm

flatapex wrote:Most phone boxes recieve incoming calls for those fond of drugs
Even those folk are abandoning the phone boxes now - most just buy a 99p SIM card and £5 credit then throw it away once it's used up.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 am

paranoid marvin wrote:What I want to know is how on earth we ever managed to get by without cash-machines? The only way to get cash was to go to the bank - which was only open 930-330 Mon-Fri, so if you were working you were stuffed!
I remember watching my mum doing all her banking with the teller, filling out little slips and so on, and I thought it all looked so complicated that I doubted I could ever learn how to do it.

Turns out I pretty much never had to.

Now my mum watches me do my banking online and thinks it all looks so complicated that she can never learn how to do it.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:25 pm

STranger81 wrote:There's a phone box about 50 yards from my front door. Never see anyone in it. It's very nostalgic for me because when I was at secondary school and wanted to ring a girl I'd walk to that phone box and call.
Does anyone remeber the old Mercury phone boxes that sprung up all over the country and also the rabbit phone system? there is still a shop near to me that has the metal sign up for the rabbit connection station ,
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:27 pm

And i still use a cheque book loads lol
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

bobturnip

Post by bobturnip » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:37 pm

The wife & I were discussing something else thats disappeared, that we remember from early childhood - the rag and bone man. Surely a last vestige of the Victorian age. He used to come down our street, even in the 80's, shouting "rag and bone", or "any old iron", in an incomprehensible kind of way. That always amuses me - London bus conductors used the same incomprehensible slur, calling out: "tickets please... Move down the bus now"... As did newspaper sellers.

I still use cheques, too.