Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Combo-Breaker

Anyone remember "Manta Force"?

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I loved that as a kid!

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Anyone remember "Manta Force"?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Of course! Only ever had the Red Venom from a car boot sale as a nipper, but now I have that, plus the Manta Force itself, along with the Black Barracuda, Bog Rocket, and the Manta Force Base (mostly boxed as well). Also some catologues and comics. Amazing things, them. Like Mighty Max playsets on a massive scale.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:41 pm

I remember the toys, they were in the same aisle as the Britains farm toys I used to obsess over. In my pre-teens, a Massey Ferguson was a vehicle of wonder :oops:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Manta Force is great.

A couple of months back I picked up Red Viper (unboxed) and the white Manta ship (boxed) from a charity shop. They also had the Barracuda but I left that. Was going to post some pics at the time but couldn't and still cannot find my camera cable.

I've also had one of the smaller toys for years now and remember taking it into hospital when I was about twelve as my good luck charm.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:54 pm

I loved the toys as kid I still have my Manta Force and a Red Viper however they are really showing there age now :(
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 pm

dste wrote:Manta Force is great.

A couple of months back I picked up Red Viper (unboxed) and the white Manta ship (boxed) from a charity shop. They also had the Barracuda but I left that. Was going to post some pics at the time but couldn't and still cannot find my camera cable.

I've also had one of the smaller toys for years now and remember taking it into hospital when I was about twelve as my good luck charm.
It's nice to find stuff like that in charity shops - it can still happen from time to time!

My boxed Manta Force Base was from a charity shop - they were just about to throw it out to clear some space, right place at the right time and all that for me? That was a good day :D
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 am

I remember stepping on one of them as a kid and crippling myself for days.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:17 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:It's nice to find stuff like that in charity shops - it can still happen from time to time!

My boxed Manta Force Base was from a charity shop - they were just about to throw it out to clear some space, right place at the right time and all that for me? That was a good day :D
They had them all set up on a display in the window and just happened to glance in as I walked past. Had a glance at the prices and thought that I would have a think about it. I then had to unfortunately head back to work so googled the shop, rang them and reserved the two for my mate to pick up who worked down from the shop. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 am

Remember getting the Manta Force for my birthday as a kid, I was well chuffed. Gave mine away a long time ago. Brilliant toy, had loads of fun with it. :)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:32 am

I loved Manta Force. That big white space ship full of stuff. And And I liked how all the men sat in a row, so everyone got a window seat. And that's lovely.

And Red Venom was awesome. Loved the way it comes to bits with the transporter thing.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

PeeJay1980

Post by PeeJay1980 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 am

Wow, this is one of those things that has completely sat in the back of my mind, but looking back I now remember everything about it!

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:17 am

My brother and I used to love Manta Force. We had the main grey ship, the base/fortress and the purple ooze alien (called something like Vile Stinkhorn, I think?).

However, the best ships were the black one (which fired red missiles out of the front) and undoubtedly the red ship that split up into lots of smaller ships. Luckily my cousin had those; I would have given my eye-teeth for a swap.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

dste

Post by dste » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Photos that I was on about.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Smashing stuff, the Red Venom with its box especially! I'll take some pictures of my Manta Force things once I get my camera back.

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sun May 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Yes! Manta Force does have somewhat bitter-sweet memories for me though. My next door neighbors were 3 boys, one of whom was the same age as me, making him a ready made best friend. Now, they had the Manta Force toys, but they belonged to the older brother (who was a nut case by children's standards). I wasn't aware of his strict rules of Manta Force, so when he was out one day me and the other boy my age were happily playing Manta Force in relative peace.

At some point during the Manta Force session, I'd put a purple figure and a yellow figure into one of these smaller vehicles, and thinking nothing of it, I left the figures in this position when we'd finished playing and moved onto something else. So, when the older brother arrives back home, he spots this horrendous crime and angrily demands “Who put the goody and the baddy together in Manta Focre?” the younger brother, scared witless, quickly points the finger at me to exasperate himself of any blame / punishment. I'm then subject to a shouting at of “A goodie and a baddie would NEVER SIT TOGETHER in Manta Force!” which was followed by a sound beating. Damn, I learned a lesson about using realism when creating adventures that day.

Yellow = Goodies. Purple = Baddies. Forget this at your peril
Last edited by richie freebird on Sun May 26, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And this bird you'll never change...