Your old stuff that still works?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Re: Your old stuff that still works?

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:04 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:
djcarlos wrote:
snowkatt wrote:back then they build things to last you coudl expect 10 20 years out of them
these days your lucky to get 5 out of something
things are made these days to break
"Planned obsolescence"
Yep these days things are purposely built to not last, for example think about why it is you can't change the battery on an apple device without sending it to apple?
Mine got water damaged, and since it's designed not to be taken apart it's completely uneconomical to repair

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:13 pm

dont suppose you want to part with it do you?
we could work a deal out
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 pm

My Dad recently got hold of separate Sony amp and tuner units from the 80's, fully boxed and in mint condition. He has them stacked on and connected up to his old Techniks CD player and the whole set-up just sounds awesome. He's on a bit of a retro tech obsession at the moment and it's great looking at the new arrivals and seeing how well stuff used to be built.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:17 am

djcarlos wrote:My current stereo set-up at home - either me or me dad bought them all new.....

1974 Rotel RX-152 amp

1986 Kenwood KX-440HX cassette deck

1987 3 Technics 1200 Mk2 turntables

1993 Technics SL-PG440A CD player

Also, my car is 25 years old this year!
HAH I also have the SL-PG440A Cd player in my current setup! Mine's all Tehnics from that era, think 1992ish, comprising tape deck, theatre amp, graphic equaliser and cd, picked up an even older record deck for it off the carboot too last year, will post pics later! Also got my Panasonic walkman from the same era, couple of Casio watches too...and my car is a 97 Toyota MR2 which still runs sweeeeeet!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:13 am

I won't argue about stuff not being made to last, it seems to be a big issue these days with our technology. Perhaps they do make them to be designed to break, I'm not sure. It certainly feels like it.

There is also another element to think about, and that is the stuff - or the raw materials that modern tech is made of these days isn't as good. Back in the day, many computer components, TV's, stereos and electronic devices were made with materials that while harmless to us, were found to be damaging the environment.

So, over the past 20 odd years, electronic equipment has been manufactured with more environmentally friendly materials. Some of these materials are simply not as strong or durable as the old materials, which basically means they fail more quickly than before.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Well, older plastics tend to feel sturdier in many cases and hi-fi equipment usually have more metal parts or metal exterior pieces to them.

Also can't beat spring-loaded switches on old stuff whereas today it's all tactile switches with cheap PCB boards behind them.

It's just a horrendous waste making things that are going to be skipped in a short space of time, all the raw materials that went into making them being wasted too.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:50 am

Megamixer wrote:Well, older plastics tend to feel sturdier in many cases and hi-fi equipment usually have more metal parts or metal exterior pieces to them.

Also can't beat spring-loaded switches on old stuff whereas today it's all tactile switches with cheap PCB boards behind them.

It's just a horrendous waste making things that are going to be skipped in a short space of time, all the raw materials that went into making them being wasted too.
People could actually do a lot of good recycling their old phones and tech, believe it or not those things contain a lot of precious metals.
The good news is that even if your phone or computer is outdated, the minerals used to make them are still periodic-table fresh. The gold, copper, silver, palladium, and other precious metals contained in aging electronics can all be melted down and reused as raw materials for the electronics of the future. Circuit boards, for example, contain anywhere from 30 to 40 times more copper than what you'd get out of the equivalent weight of mined ore. Gold is even better, since circuit boards hold up to 800 times an equal amount of gold ore dug up from underground mines. Technology manufacturing has already done the work by putting these resources in one place; the only thing left to do is recycle them once we've finished.

"But wait!" our theoretical cynic out there asks. "It's not like recycling would eliminate the need for mines. Surely we're not getting rid of electronics quickly enough to meet the demand." Well, the demand is pretty high, but you're underestimating just how disposable our technology is. Anywhere from 100 to 130 million cellphones are tossed into the trash each year in America alone. Considering that 1 million phones produce about 35 kilograms of gold, phone recycling has a higher output than many gold-producing nations. The problem? Only 1 percent of those phones are recycled.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_20249_5- ... z2KPSVo1sl

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:14 pm

MY MOTHER
Going Solo...................

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:10 pm

The oldest gadget I still have is my LCD Double Dragon game and that works a treat. It's had (IIRC) 2 occasions of batteries leaking inside since I got it as a nipper but still going strong.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:17 pm

I got this howling werewolf for Xmas in 1992:

It howls and the eyes light up, and it's been witihn reach for most of the time I've had it (save for three or four years sitting in a box). It's never had a battery change, and it still works like new :D

Also, our Mega Drive, which had a pint of orange juice spilt into the cartridge slot on Xmas Day 1993 - still works fine as well.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Bought my first music cassette tape in years the other day...side 2 doesn't work properly because the tape is too tight :lol: . The joys of retro stuff eh? I'll get it working of course though it's been a long while since I've had to try and get tapes working.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Have faith in the trusty biro and your music should be restored.
Watching you sleep since 1990

hedgehog

Post by hedgehog » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:57 am

Bwahhh, just had to replace my freezer and tumble dryer which both packed up.

Freezer was a Hotpoint and inherited from my parents who bought it 28 years ago. Tumble dryer a Hoover, again inherited from my parents who bought it 25 years ago. Neither were ever repaired.

New tumble dryer came with a three year warranty and the hard sell from the manufacturer to extend it to five years as "the parts and labour are very expensive so an extended warranty will give you peace of mind".

We shall see...

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 am

Our famiy's Electrolux 350E vacuum cleaner - we've had it for pretty much my whole life (since the early 80s) and it still gets used every week without any problems.