Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sephiroth81

Re: Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:02 am

I'd watch and record many of the 1980s and early 90s classic cartoons if they were aired on the numerous Cartoon/Kids channels on Sky, but they never seem to be.

Instead, these channels are full of CGI crap being overly politically correct and patronising. OR they are remakes of the classic cartoons we grew up with, but extremely poor by comparison.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:51 am

Not a cartoon really but after seeing the odd episode of bagpuss played for my neice who was mesmerised by it...being 6 and all i splashed out on another rare dvd called Tottie. All about dolls in a dollshouse. I remember it broadcast originally and indeed its still as amazingly postgatey in every sense of the word. The guy can send me to sleep with his story telling - in a good way - im glad she is glued to it - even though its only like 5 episodes - along with a death scene.
I sat there remembering all the programmes that were on at the time and thinking i wouldnt begrudge paying my tv licence if instead of bbc3 they had a bbc retro and replayed all the oldies - even Saturday superstore or swap shop on a saturday morning - beat the teacher - Grange Hill - The adventure game etc

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:39 am

Only The Simpsons, if that counts. The new episodes are generally terrible, but I like to revisit the older seasons, which are still excellent. It's also a very nostalgic experience.

That said, I did watch the first ever episode of Rugrats on Netflix recently. Still very enjoyable!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:35 am

My mates TV is broke, they can only watch DVD's. So I lent her my Dangermouse box set for the kids to watch, they're 7 and 3 and have never seen it before. She hasn't heard a peep out of them since. Don't get that with Bob the Builder.

spuggybridge

Post by spuggybridge » Fri May 16, 2014 10:15 pm

my brother recently gave me the complete Dungeons and Dragons cartoon takes me back a bit.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue May 20, 2014 1:54 pm

I've been slowly working through the original 90's Batman cartoon series on Lovefilm.

It has aged incredibly well unlike some other superhero cartoons of the era and the music is just incredible :D

manxman

Post by manxman » Fri May 23, 2014 11:10 am

Watch Thundercats Dungeons and Dragons anything I used to love and watch in my younger days

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:14 pm

ArchaicKoala wrote:I've been slowly working through the original 90's Batman cartoon series on Lovefilm.

It has aged incredibly well unlike some other superhero cartoons of the era and the music is just incredible :D
I thought Batman and Xmen from those days were both great cartoons and though Xmen looks a bit cheesy , still enjoyed them. Transformers was my favourite along with Wheeled Warriors. Id watch them anytime especially now. Wheeled warriors makes me really wish they had made a game of the show too.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:05 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
ArchaicKoala wrote:I've been slowly working through the original 90's Batman cartoon series on Lovefilm.

I thought Batman and Xmen from those days were both great cartoons and though Xmen looks a bit cheesy , still enjoyed them. Transformers was my favourite along with Wheeled Warriors. Id watch them anytime especially now. Wheeled warriors makes me really wish they had made a game of the show too.
The first two series of Transformers- mostly great although 'The girl who loved powerglide' where a giant robot that turns into a plane ends up going on dates with a shrew of a woman who wants constant attention, and 'A Decepticon raider in King Arthurs Court is just...WEIRD' . Series 3 & 4 have some exceptionally dodgy plots- Daniel and Wheelie trying to find out when Ultra Magnus birthday is for instance, or the episode where Daniels nightmares stop Rodimus Prime getting any sleep and then come to life so the Autobots end up fighting Dracula... basically any episode with Daniel as the focal point is crap.

Also Rodimus Prime is such a whiny b**ch- 'oh I'm not as good as Optimus, why is Optimus dead blah blah blah'. So much so that they ended up bringing him back. That and they had a Powermaster Optimus Prime toy to sell. Although weirdly in the cartoon he comes back in his 1984 body. Someone at Hasbro wasn't thinking that day.

I still love it though.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 pm

Treguard wrote:The first two series of Transformers- mostly great although 'The girl who loved powerglide' where a giant robot that turns into a plane ends up going on dates with a shrew of a woman who wants constant attention, and 'A Decepticon raider in King Arthurs Court is just...WEIRD'.
I remember the shock watching 'The Girl Who Loved Powerglide' that the first line of a kid's cartoon is "I feel like an absolute bloody fool'. I remember thinking to myself, "F**k me sideways, you b***ards need to mind your c**ting language!" :lol:

P.S. Cliffjumper's dead then.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Heres one for you, granted its not a 'cartoon' but it was a kids show from the 80s

I remember it used puppets (Eg a bit like Terrahawks) but it was i'm sure japanese as i think as it was dubbed quite badly in english. There was a lot of action, lots of space ships etc but despite being set in space the enemy spaceship was actually an old 'Ghost ship' like an old galleon ship.

Someone told me ages ago but i think i need to write it down.

Any ideas ?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:59 pm

psj3809 wrote:Heres one for you, granted its not a 'cartoon' but it was a kids show from the 80s

I remember it used puppets (Eg a bit like Terrahawks) but it was i'm sure japanese as i think as it was dubbed quite badly in english. There was a lot of action, lots of space ships etc but despite being set in space the enemy spaceship was actually an old 'Ghost ship' like an old galleon ship.

Someone told me ages ago but i think i need to write it down.

Any ideas ?
Starfleet?
Splink!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:07 pm

Thats the one ! Thankyou !!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Star fleet was ace. I used to watch it on Saturday lunchtimes before saint and greavsie sometime. The ghost ship wasnt the enemy from what I can recall . The enemy had some big long scary barge type ship.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:09 pm

I still don't get how I maanged to completely miss that, when everyone I know the same age remembers it well. Must be a BBC-snobbery thing on my family's part, as we hardly ever watched ITV's Saturday morning or after-school children's programming. I think we only ever switched over when the Beeb were repeating one of those awful dubbed European dramas like Heidi or Tim Tyler or worse, drivel that damn well should have been dubbed into more convincing English, like Johnny Briggs! :lol: