Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

AceGrace

Re: Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

Post by AceGrace » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Shinobi wrote:
AceGrace wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Also got a weird uncut 120 episodes of Battle of the Planet in English names are now Ken the Eagle and Jinpay the Sparrow, 7 Zark 7 isn't on there and they kill Spector with Garotting wire's and knives.. On the British version you'd see the bodies and 7 Zark 7 would say they where robots!! Comparing episode 3 with the English version there's loads cut out, guess this must be a fan sub or something
Where did you get it from?

I have the 85 episodes Battle of the Planets box set but can't find your version.
I thought it was a free fan sub but googling it I found this

ADV Films released an uncut version of the series in the USA with an all-new English-language 5.1 dub, on DVD starting on June 14, 2005. This release included all 105 episodes, with all footage left in. The dub aims to be a faithful translation, without attempts to sanitize the show for younger viewers (meaning there is profanity and utterances of the word "kill"). All violent scenes have been left in as they were in the original Japanese broadcast.

In 2007, Sandy Frank's long-term contract with Tatsunoko Productions (owners of the Gatchaman franchise), which gave it all domestic U.S rights to the first Gatchaman series (along with its English adaptations) lapsed, which leaves both the Battle of the Planets and G-Force adaptations in limbo, with ADV Film's uncut English dub (long since out of print) being the only one readily available on the market. In addition, ADV's sub-license with Sandy Frank that allowed them to release its uncut dub during 2005–2006 has also expired, and ADV itself ceased operations in September 2009. It is not known if any U.S companies currently own the domestic rights to the Gatchaman series.

This is the version I have, I may be able to help you out acquiring it 8)
You have mail! :D

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:50 pm

8bitwarrior wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned Nintendo's wonderful excuse for advertising....

It's a little cheesy but if you're into gaming it's worth a watch!

Tried re-watching this recently when I found a VHS of it in a charity shop. It hasn't aged well at all!

Simon Belmont's annoying, the bad animation makes me slightly nauseuous and Mother Brain/that aubergine man wouldn't be allowed on telly today...

Mega Man's funny, mind.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

8bitwarrior

Post by 8bitwarrior » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
8bitwarrior wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned Nintendo's wonderful excuse for advertising....

Tried re-watching this recently when I found a VHS of it in a charity shop. It hasn't aged well at all!

Simon Belmont's annoying, the bad animation makes me slightly nauseuous and Mother Brain/that aubergine man wouldn't be allowed on telly today...

Mega Man's funny, mind.
Haha yeah it hasn't aged well, even if it was only a vehicle for Nintendo to subliminally advertise their new games to kids.

:shock: Simon Belmont annoying? What about Kid Icarus, he makes everyone else in the cartoon look charming!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:29 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:

Mega Man's funny, mind.
What games are the fighter Pilot and the Woman off? Also why is Megaman green? I remember the bad guy talking like a sterotype black woman maybe my memorys playing tricks
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 pm

The "pilot", believe it or not, is supposed to be Casltevania's Simon Belmont!
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

manxman

Post by manxman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:12 am

Got complete box set of Dungeons and Dragons and my all time fave Thundercats! Did everyone including me fancy Cheetara?

vipp

Post by vipp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:25 pm

I have the complete Rocko's Modern Life and Aagh! Real Monsters on dvd, i often watch tem. i would like some Cat-Dog on dvd but im not sure that's retro yet. Ren and Stimpy is also great.
Steam: Vipp1990
Steam Group: Stalking The Retro (STR) (Join the group to win FREE steam games every month!)
www.gamegavel.com/forum: Vipp

Currently Playing: Doom Collection PSN/Duke Nukem 3D PC/Petite Computer 3DS/Tetris NES/Fantastic Dizzy Megadrive.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:46 pm

vipp wrote:I have the complete Rocko's Modern Life and Aagh! Real Monsters on dvd, i often watch tem. i would like some Cat-Dog on dvd but im not sure that's retro yet. Ren and Stimpy is also great.
Rocko and Real Monsters... Those DVDs from Poundland? They're good but no-where near complete, unless you have some fancy box sets from America.

There'll never be a better made-for-TV cartoon than The Ren & Stimpy Show, but the DVDs are censored to buggery!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:46 am

Yes, I do!

I have a big collection of stuff on DVD - Thundercats, Danger Mouse, Count Duckular, The Family-Ness, Transformers and many many more!

I love them just as much as I did 25 years ago!! :D 8) :D
Press Play On Tape

Smudge

Post by Smudge » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:22 pm

I went on a cartoon bender about 5-6 years back while trying to get my hands on the old Sonic SatAM series. Then after discovering the wonders of P2P and torrents, and starting searching for just about anything I could vaguely remember, mainly TMHT and Ren & Stimpy, only for the DVD Gods to help me out and start releasing them all on DVD! Most were region 1 only at first (hence the reason I still have a multi-region DVD player!) and Ive now got quite a collection, either DVD or downloaded! Both of the good Sonic series' (AoStH & SatAM), TMHT, Ren & Stimpy, Doug, Rugrats (only the pre Disney ones!), Pepper Ann, Recess, Hey Arnold, Galaxy High School, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Thundercats, Dungeons & Dragons, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Gummi Bears, and not animated as such, but both Thunderbirds and Stingray.

SatAM was always my favourite, good to see another mention of it already. The second series, particularly towards the end, was as emotionally invested as Ive ever been in a cartoon. It was pretty powerful stuff for a 9 year old. D & D and MCOG likewise, but again, cartoons used to have some pretty strong moral lessons, there was a lot in that about friendship and loyalty and so on.

Doug was always quite relevant to me as well, as I was pretty socially awkward when I was growing up, so a lot of the more embarassing situations in Doug I could relate to!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:46 pm

You're actually better off with the torrents in a few cases - as already mentioned Ren & Stimpy's cut to hell on the boxsets (although they're not quite as bad as the syndicated versions shown on BBC2 back in the day - I still remember the Ren's Pecs/An Abe Divided episode being five minutes shorter than it should have been!).

Smudge

Post by Smudge » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:12 pm

Yeah Ive noticed a few of them were very different with massive cuts to what I remembered! To be fair, Ren & Stimpy had some very dodgy stuff in it to be fair! Just checked my DVDs (region 1) and they actually dont have a classification, which is interesting.

I always found it odd too that on the Dungeons & Dragons DVDs, volume 2 & 4 were PG while 1 & 3 were U. Always wondered what bits in particular prompted the PG rating!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Yesterday I watched several episodes of 70's Paddington on youtube.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

manxman

Post by manxman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:44 pm

Got the complete set of the original Thundercats and am rewatching it again for the umpteenth time also Dungeons and Dragons

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:46 am

My favourite retro cartoon is The Real Ghostbusters. I paid £110 for the complete DVD box set and it's great to be able to watch the episodes I remember from childhood that didn't make it onto the budget DVDs on the High Street as well as the ones I didn't see when I was a kid. The only drawback is that when you pay that kind of money for a limited edition DVD set you always live in fear of one of the DVDs freezing up while you're watching.

I also have DVDs for the following cartoons:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Inspector Gadget
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Danger Mouse
Count Duckula
Adventures of Tintin
Batman: the Animated Series
Dogtanian and the Muskerhounds
The Trap Door
Thomas the Tank Engine (series 1 and 2)