Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ootini

Re: Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

Post by ootini » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:18 am

Defo the original Science Ninja Team Gatchaman episodes then. - Just ordered a box set on Amazon yesterday thanks to this thread.

In anticipation, I went on a bit of a nostalgia buzz the past few nights checking out old BotP and Gatchaman episodes on youtube. Always interesting to see how a relatively violent anime show from the East was hacked up and sanitized for Western children. Its amazing the difference in quality between the original scenes and the ones added in. Also funny that the same guy who voiced the Mark character also voiced Shaggy in Scooby Doo.

Once again though, this site has helped unlock a shed load of very early childhood memories for me; Completely forgot I used to have a toy of the Second God Phoenix which had little yellow plastic versions of the other G-Force vehicles which sat into several compartments on the toy. Also Had a die cast version of the green lad's tank thing from the Second God Phoenix too.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:42 pm

ootini wrote:I would love to see some episodes of M.A.S.K. again for an aul nostalgia trip. They had a few of the DVDs in HMV a while back, but at €30 a pop it was a bit to steep to justify splashing out.

I did throw on some Ulysses 31 when found myself up at 8am there last Saturday. I still think it holds up really well. Never going to see anything like in today's dumbed-down, politically correct, nanny state society. It was quite a highbrow concept (for a kids show).

Have a fair few DVD box sets of other old cartoons that I had watched as a kid that get hauled out once in a while:
Visionaries, GiJoe, He-Man, Inhumanoids, Thundercats, X-Men, Spiderman and his amazing friends, Dungeons and Dragons, Robotech… Loads more. Some of them have aged better than others. I picked up some GiJoe sets for peanuts in a JB Hi-Fi in Melbourne last year and gave them a whirl, I had not seen any of them since their brief airing on Super Channel back in the late 80's. I was a massive fan of the toy line too. While I still loved watching the old episodes and some I never saw, I was kinda creeped out by the borderline propaganda vibe I got off it that my younger self would obviously never have picked up on.

Got the original SDF Macross, Mospeada and Southern Cross series that were culled and rearranged for the Robotech Saga and watched them all again recently.

Battle of the planets is one I'd love to see again too - I think it was the first of those kind of action/sci-fi shows that I watched. There was a copy of the complete Box set in a nearby second hand store a year or two ago for €100 and I regret not picking it up - Would also love to see some of the original Science Team Ninja Gatchaman series that was, like Robotech, hacked up and sanitised for a western audience.
Shame with that first comment - a forum member found the ENTIRE series on dvd for 15 quid from another site which is where I got mine from, bargain!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

jetsetminer

Post by jetsetminer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 am

See, I love some of the older cartoons but I got a shock the other day. I downloaded 2 My Little Pony cartoons for my daughter, one from 1984 and one from 2012. WOW. The one from 2012 dealt with someone not sharing. The 1984 had a horned devil as the baddy.

Cartoons are pretty lightweight these days. Back in the day they were watered down versions of adult TV with talking animals as main characters.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:26 am

The whole DC animated Universe is just amazing, starting with Batman, then Batman and Robin, then Batman of the Future - following onto the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.. the story lines are truly great. Mostly anything with Bruce Timm at the helm is pure gold.

Like everyone else I also love Ulysses, Robotech etc. but another one with a soft spot for me is Sharky and George.. The crime busters of the sea!!

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:32 am

I have got my son into some random old cartoons like Animaniacs and Taz, and because of his love of Mario and Sonic he watchs the old dodgy cartoons based on them. Poor child tho, he has been watching the Super Mario show so much he's growing up thinkin that Cyndi Lauper is a new and current musicain! (she randomly apeared as a special guest on the show) :D :)

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:35 pm

I own and regularly watch the D+D box set with my nipper. But I don't own anything else, I would live to see around the world with willy fog again. Along with Spider-Man and his amazing friends, ice man was cool and firestar was, er, hot :lol: . He man and thundercats were favourites of mine too, but tbh if I start hunting these down i probably wouldn't know when to stop.

Eat your nans pants

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 am

Spiderman and His Amazing friends was a favourite of mine as a kid. It's up on netflix with a bunch of other stuff including the complete Robotech saga. (or at least they were)

Ordered the MASK and Centurions DVD' son Amazon a week or two ago so looking forward to seeing them again.

There is a danger on going overboard and stocking up on them just for the sake of it. But at least those with kids have an excuse.

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 am

I'd like to watch the new Scooby Doo series on BBC when I can. :oops:
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:22 am

Shinobi wrote:
Also got a weird uncut 120 episodes of Battle of the Planet in English names are now Ken the Eagle and Jinpay the Sparrow, 7 Zark 7 isn't on there and they kill Spector with Garotting wire's and knives.. On the British version you'd see the bodies and 7 Zark 7 would say they where robots!! Comparing episode 3 with the English version there's loads cut out, guess this must be a fan sub or something
Where did you get it from?

I have the 85 episodes Battle of the Planets box set but can't find your version.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:40 pm

I've been watching a bit of Bionix Six and I've got some Herculoids and M.A.S.K to work my way through as well.
Splink!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:13 pm

AceGrace wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Also got a weird uncut 120 episodes of Battle of the Planet in English names are now Ken the Eagle and Jinpay the Sparrow, 7 Zark 7 isn't on there and they kill Spector with Garotting wire's and knives.. On the British version you'd see the bodies and 7 Zark 7 would say they where robots!! Comparing episode 3 with the English version there's loads cut out, guess this must be a fan sub or something
Where did you get it from?

I have the 85 episodes Battle of the Planets box set but can't find your version.
I thought it was a free fan sub but googling it I found this

ADV Films released an uncut version of the series in the USA with an all-new English-language 5.1 dub, on DVD starting on June 14, 2005. This release included all 105 episodes, with all footage left in. The dub aims to be a faithful translation, without attempts to sanitize the show for younger viewers (meaning there is profanity and utterances of the word "kill"). All violent scenes have been left in as they were in the original Japanese broadcast.

In 2007, Sandy Frank's long-term contract with Tatsunoko Productions (owners of the Gatchaman franchise), which gave it all domestic U.S rights to the first Gatchaman series (along with its English adaptations) lapsed, which leaves both the Battle of the Planets and G-Force adaptations in limbo, with ADV Film's uncut English dub (long since out of print) being the only one readily available on the market. In addition, ADV's sub-license with Sandy Frank that allowed them to release its uncut dub during 2005–2006 has also expired, and ADV itself ceased operations in September 2009. It is not known if any U.S companies currently own the domestic rights to the Gatchaman series.

This is the version I have, I may be able to help you out acquiring it 8)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:48 am

Going to have to get Dogtanian on DVD for when my boys older.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 pm

ootini wrote:There is a danger on going overboard and stocking up on them just for the sake of it. But at least those with kids have an excuse.
My kids are all grown up, so I'm now waiting for grandkids to share them with.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:06 am

Treguard wrote:Going to have to get Dogtanian on DVD for when my boys older.
I loved this cartoon and played it to my one year old daughter for first time yesterday.

Also...

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/complet ... on-1499894

£9.25 for Series 1 & 2 plus two movies!

8bitwarrior

Post by 8bitwarrior » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Surprised nobody has mentioned Nintendo's wonderful excuse for advertising....

It's a little cheesy but if you're into gaming it's worth a watch!