Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Andy L

Re: Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

Post by Andy L » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:17 pm

snowkatt wrote:
Andy L wrote:Not usually but I am currently working my way through Transformers G1 as I remember so little of it bar the movie. Watching it makes me want to dive onto eBay and start collecting the toys!

so its doing its job ! :wink:
Yeah, there's no age limit to being lulled by marketing :lol:

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:44 pm

I've actually got the DVD to Swat Kats, a really awesome show that went surprisingly far with the violence. I mean, they actually killed people. Not that it was the only show in the 90's that let the heroes get away with that, but it's still pretty badass. It also has pretty much the most metal as censored theme song you could possibly air on children's TV. ...Then it got cancelled in favor of Captain Planet, because Ted Turner is a useless hippy.

If there's any retro cartoon I love, though, it's Batman: The Animated Series. I seriously consider it to be one of the greatest cartoons of all time. The subject matter is a lot more mature than most shows of the time, with a lot of actual firearm usage and the occasional death, and we can't forget all the talent that's gone into it. Including Mark Hammil, who pretty much everybody will agree was the greatest Joker of all time.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:33 pm

I have a boxed set of Battle of the Planets. It's not that great now. It's a bit obvious that 7-Zark-7's scene-setting narration about flying off to friendly planets is complete BS to cover a hatchet job of edits to the original plots, which were never set on anything but Earth. And there's massive amounts of re-use of the transformation sequences to pad out each episode.

What drives me up the wall not having on DVD is the amazing Samurai Pizza Cats.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:22 am

Did quite like Battle of the Planets.. and Samurai Pizza Cats! :0)

Wouldn't mind watching Toxic Crusaders again at some point...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:08 am

boggyb68 wrote:Did quite like Battle of the Planets.. and Samurai Pizza Cats! :0)

Wouldn't mind watching Toxic Crusaders again at some point...

B.
This is a good boxset:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Toxic- ... 424&sr=8-2

You get all the Toxic Avenger films plus the complete Toxic Crusaders, very nice!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:51 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
This is a good boxset:

You get all the Toxic Avenger films plus the complete Toxic Crusaders, very nice!
Cheers Ryan.. will have to look into that! :0)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 am

I was going to buy the D&D Box-Set for a tenner yesterday. I'll grab it at the weekend, instead.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 am

Combo-Breaker wrote:I was going to buy the D&D Box-Set for a tenner yesterday. I'll grab it at the weekend, instead.
from where ?
"Time fades even legend..."

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:43 am

boggyb68 wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
This is a good boxset:

Cheers Ryan.. will have to look into that! :0)

B.
Oooh, That is an interesting one. Only have the first Toxie movie on DVD and this looks like it might be worth a purchase.
Still think its absolutely insane that of all the movie IP's to turn into a childrens TV series somebody chose to adapt a Z-Grade splatter movie. I'd love to hear the story of how it came to be.
There was Rambo, Conan and Robocop cartoons too. Again weird to see ultra violent, adult oriented movies being adapted to Kids shows. But I can kinda understand how they made it to development given their ubiquity in mainstream popular culture at the time.
D&D was a firm favorite as a kid for me too. I have the box set which was gifted to me some years ago but have not watched it in a good while - must remedy that soon.
Anybody watch a show called Sabre Rider? I'd never heard of it until a few years ago when I got into a discussion with a German friend about classic Saturday morning cartoons from the 70's and 80's and he said this one was his favorite - He even had the Theme tune on his iPod. Peter Cullen voiced the main character too. I don't ever recall seeing it on any of the stations we could tune into as a kid.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:45 pm

I've still got 50 odd episodes of Batman The Animated Series to watch. I never really got into it as a child (I was more of a Spider-Man fan), but the few episodes I've seen recently have been pretty good.

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:52 am

ZXSabreman wrote:
Combo-Breaker wrote:I was going to buy the D&D Box-Set for a tenner yesterday. I'll grab it at the weekend, instead.
from where ?
Forbidden Planet. :wink:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Friend gave me all the Batman cartoons which actually seem pretty violent and people actually die, the only person I ever remember dying on a cartoon was the Drug Dealer on GI Joe, and Lord Masque and Evil Seed on He Man both died..

Also got a weird uncut 120 episodes of Battle of the Planet in English names are now Ken the Eagle and Jinpay the Sparrow, 7 Zark 7 isn't on there and they kill Spector with Garotting wire's and knives.. On the British version you'd see the bodies and 7 Zark 7 would say they where robots!! Comparing episode 3 with the English version there's loads cut out, guess this must be a fan sub or something
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ootini

Post by ootini » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:12 am

Sounds like you got a English dubbed version of the original Gatchaman. 7Zark7 was added as padding to BotP for voiceover narration and to cover up the stuff that was edited out for Battle of the Planets version.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm

ootini wrote:Sounds like you got a English dubbed version of the original Gatchaman. 7Zark7 was added as padding to BotP for voiceover narration and to cover up the stuff that was edited out for Battle of the Planets version.
They refer to the team as Science Ninja Force Gatchaman so that could be right.. Also checking some episode side by side the old English version is cut to bits.. I see Jason dies in the last eposide Zoltan kills him..

edit just double checked and its dual audio so they must have re-released it with a dub
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"