Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Combo-Breaker

Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:15 pm

I still watch Transformers, Spider-Man, Johnny Bravo, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats and The X-Men from time to time.

You?

ZXSabreman

Re: Do any of you still watch Retro Cartoons?

Post by ZXSabreman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:51 am

I watch loads of stuff, I have two young children so we watch allsorts, the new Loony Tunes is superb however we mostly watch old stuff. My son loves the old He-Man and Transformers, the Batman from the early nineties is arguably the best animated show ever to appear on tv in my opinion.
I must admit I love Samurai Jack not retro but about ten years old now, i'd much sooner watch animated stuff than live action
"Time fades even legend..."

dste

Post by dste » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:35 am

I own the Dungeons and Dragons box set and to this day still think that it's a great cartoon.

If I had the money I would quite happily buy the Transformers and Thundercats box sets as well as things like MASK and Visionaries.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:51 am

Transformers and Battle of the Planets are popular in my house.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:54 am

Battle of the Planets is very popular to sell on Ebay. I have seen prices of £400 being paid. :shock:

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:12 pm

Not one that gets mentioned often, but I'm currently watching Conan the Adventurer, which apart from having the cheesiest music ever is actually a really good cartoon!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Consider this - I paid £15 for the Ren & Stimpy seasons 1 and 2 boxset when I usually um and ah over paying more than £3 for a DVD.
In fact I made my own OX Tales DVD using all the episodes I could find on YouTube. Dodgy in terms of legality and picture quality but there was simply no other way. If there were ever to be a proper release I would be excited in a slightly wrong manner.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:57 pm

My top 3 rewatched cartoons are

Visionaries
Captain Planet
Doug

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Well, I've got the 'Dungeons & Dragons' box set, the 'Scooby Doo, Where Are You?' seasons 1+2 box set, and a full download of 'The Scooby Doo Show' seasons 1-3.... So yeah, i still watch retro 'toons.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:00 am

I have M.A.S.K (complete show), Dungeons & Dragons (Complete show), Transformers G1 (all 4 seasons + film), 2 seasons of TMNT, Mysterious Cities of Gold (complete show) & Sonic SATam (Complete show) on DVD kicking around.

I recently started on D&D as I've watched MCoG and Transformers. I got partway through watching Sonic a few days ago also. My next thing to do will be to get TMNT on region 2 (as mine are US region) and finish it off, snag Count Duckula and pick up Sonic Adventures on DVD also. Then I may consider turning to Thundercats and attempting to import the GI Joe boxsets.

I'm hoping at some point cartoons like Prince Valiant get a DVD release at some point.

So yes, I still watch Retro Cartoons!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:30 pm

i watch transformers G1 ( crap )
masterforce ( also crap )
headmasters ( more crap )
i refuse to watch victory ( uber crap )

beast wars ( not crap )
beast machines ( absolutley not crap )

mobile suit gundam 0079
zeta gundam
and i have two thundercats box sets but i never watched them to be honest

most of my reto cartoons are trasnformer orientated
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:10 pm

I would love to see some episodes of M.A.S.K. again for an aul nostalgia trip. They had a few of the DVDs in HMV a while back, but at €30 a pop it was a bit to steep to justify splashing out.

I did throw on some Ulysses 31 when found myself up at 8am there last Saturday. I still think it holds up really well. Never going to see anything like in today's dumbed-down, politically correct, nanny state society. It was quite a highbrow concept (for a kids show).

Have a fair few DVD box sets of other old cartoons that I had watched as a kid that get hauled out once in a while:
Visionaries, GiJoe, He-Man, Inhumanoids, Thundercats, X-Men, Spiderman and his amazing friends, Dungeons and Dragons, Robotech… Loads more. Some of them have aged better than others. I picked up some GiJoe sets for peanuts in a JB Hi-Fi in Melbourne last year and gave them a whirl, I had not seen any of them since their brief airing on Super Channel back in the late 80's. I was a massive fan of the toy line too. While I still loved watching the old episodes and some I never saw, I was kinda creeped out by the borderline propaganda vibe I got off it that my younger self would obviously never have picked up on.

Got the original SDF Macross, Mospeada and Southern Cross series that were culled and rearranged for the Robotech Saga and watched them all again recently.

Battle of the planets is one I'd love to see again too - I think it was the first of those kind of action/sci-fi shows that I watched. There was a copy of the complete Box set in a nearby second hand store a year or two ago for €100 and I regret not picking it up - Would also love to see some of the original Science Team Ninja Gatchaman series that was, like Robotech, hacked up and sanitised for a western audience.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm

oh yeah robotech
i also have voltron adn the orginal go lion

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Not usually but I am currently working my way through Transformers G1 as I remember so little of it bar the movie. Watching it makes me want to dive onto eBay and start collecting the toys!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Andy L wrote:Not usually but I am currently working my way through Transformers G1 as I remember so little of it bar the movie. Watching it makes me want to dive onto eBay and start collecting the toys!

so its doing its job ! :wink: