Renting videotapes

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

themightymartin

Re: Renting videotapes

Post by themightymartin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:36 pm

There was a lady who used to drive a van around ours once a week, a bit like a mobile library. The first video I remember being rented on my behalf was a Mr. Men video, so I would've been around 4-5 years old at the time.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:16 pm

I remember we were joined up to around 3 video shops in our town back in the day, Skeldons (where we mainly got kids films from), Mr Video and Orchard News. The Orchard New (newsagent was a bit dodgy) me and my uncle when it to rent Teenwolf, we checked the tape on the way home and it was S e x on the Rocks 2?!! :lol: so we returned it and the guy went very red indeed, it was obviously his little under the counter collection.

Funny this thread has popped up, as me and my wife were discussing this the other day, how video covers would catch your eye and then you would hire it and it would be a suprise. These days a lot of films probably get missed.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:22 pm

I don't recall my first rental. No doubt some post apocalyptic sci fi thing.

We got our first betamax in the early 80s.

The local video shop at the shopping centre was a dark and shady place with betamax at one side and VHS at the other. A friend of the family worked the counter so I was never age checked. Result - I saw all the video nasties like Driller Killer. Most weekends I'd wander over to the shop with my little sister and we'd pick out a couple of movies. I've seen no end of low budget Mad Max inspired things and ropey space movies along with loads of horror. I kinda miss the innocence of those low budget films where I didn't know any better and enjoyed them far more than their worth.

As we had contacts, we were also privvy to under the counter dealings. I had a copy of Rambo with Arabic style subtitles. Ghostbusters as a 100th generation copy so bad everything was black and white and no more than fuzzy shadows, but we watched it over and over again anyway.

I do remember being in awe at Star Wars on video, but the possibility of ever owning an original copy of it when a tape cost around £120 seemed impossible to me, owning your own movies seemed like the exclusive preserve of the rich. I bought all of them on Blu Ray for less than half that last year.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I do remember being in awe at Star Wars on video, but the possibility of ever owning an original copy of it when a tape cost around £120 seemed impossible to me, owning your own movies seemed like the exclusive preserve of the rich. I bought all of them on Blu Ray for less than half that last year.
Yeah, weird to think now that stuff like Star Wars and ET were almost totally out of reach, and they never even appeared on TV. Didn't ET get it's UK TV debut in about 1989??

Maybe that's why these films have got extra mystique about them? These days everything is explained, reviewed over and over, commentaries, makings-of. Same goes for walking into a video shop and renting a film just cos of the cover. There's no mystery to life these days!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:20 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Didn't ET get it's UK TV debut in about 1989??
1990! :shock:

And The Jungle Book's STILL waiting for its TV premiere! Not even the Disney Channel's got round to it yet.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:15 pm

I remember when my dad bought home a video recorder for the first time, it was a fantastic experience. It must have been 1984 or 1985. At that time I'm pretty sure we didn't have any local video rental stores - well not within walking distance at least. Our old man would travel to the local town to rent films at first. I think the first one opened near me about a year or two later.

We had about three at one point. I remember one of them had all the latest films, but the tracking on the tapes was rubbish, it took a bit of fiddling to make them look good enough to watch.

My dad wasn't particularly strict with what films I could watch back then. I recall watching quite a few 15 and 18 tapes. I watched the Terminator when I was 10 and Robocop when I was 11-12.

Our video shops were also great for gaming, they all had some arcade machines. I remember playing games such as Double Dragon, 1943, Golden Axe and a few others that these shops. By 1990 there was only one video store within walking distance, the others either went bust or moved out. Our local video rental also did Mega Drive games in the 90's and I regularly rented the latest games from there.

In fact this store is still going, but it's primary business is now computer sales and repairs and photo printing. Of course it does DVD rental these days.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:33 pm

MattyC64c wrote:My dad wasn't particularly strict with what films I could watch back then. I recall watching quite a few 15 and 18 tapes. I watched the Terminator when I was 10 and Robocop when I was 11-12 and now I'm a homicidal, axe wielding maniac.
:wink:

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:02 pm

themightymartin wrote:There was a lady who used to drive a van around ours once a week, a bit like a mobile library. The first video I remember being rented on my behalf was a Mr. Men video, so I would've been around 4-5 years old at the time.
We had a really cool bloke who had a little white van that was absolutely crammed with tapes...Used to hire 7 films for a fiver for a week....Absolute bargain...watched a stack of Jackie Chan films via this van and would happily watch anything back then....

Great days.......

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:06 am

Nice thread !

Me and my mate used to go to the local video shop and ask for movie posters, used to get given a fair few.

Remember trying to rent some of the blockbuster titles and having to wait for ages as they only had 2 of them and they were both out !

Also when you get 'told off' for not rewinding the tape before you hand it back !

Were good days the old video tape days, specially the 'corner' where all the blueys were !

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 am

They used to have a magazine called Flicks in the little local one near us, (which was free) me and my mate would go in and take as many as we could, go home and cut them up, I remember we once managed to cover all his walls in long lines of the same picture, all the way round the room, floor to ceiling, his mum came up to see what we were doing and went mad, as they had just painted and we used blue tack all over the place, the whole lot had to come down, we took the pics to school and sold them for 5p each to other kids. The guy in the shop got really hacked off, as we would go in linger, suddenly pick up a mag and walk out. My mate once ran in grabbed a whole box and legged it. :lol: (they were free, but the shop preffered they went out to people actually renting stuff and spending money. I do miss the long gaps they used to have between Cinema, Rental Release, Home Purchase and first TV showing, it made watching them on TV so much more exciting. To think now its only a matter of months until you can buy them. I guess its due to preventing piracy mainly, but I do hate the rush rush nature of the world these days.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

bobturnip

Post by bobturnip » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:43 pm

We had a local video shop. They always seemed somewhat dark, tatty places. Do you remember those big, squishy black plastic cases that the tapes used to come in ?

First rentals I recall were Firefox, American warewolf in London (which I was technically too young for), and 'Making Michael jackson's thriller'. The most exciting rental for me though was Return of the Jedi. That was a big event in our house.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:50 pm

bensonrad wrote:They used to have a magazine called Flicks
I'd forgotten all about those freebies.

I can't say I miss the delays though. I find the current gap between cinema and home release most annoying. I want to see the film again, I want to give them my money, but they don't want to take it! Just give me the DVD when the cinema release has finished.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

tachi

Post by tachi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:00 pm

bobturnip wrote:We had a local video shop. They always seemed somewhat dark, tatty places.
Ours was the same, it felt rather seedy.
Place was called Viking Video and dealt Betamax tapes and was in an oooold building with 2 floors joined by a victorian-style elevator like this:
Upstairs were the Disney films and the arcade machine of Bank Panic.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:15 pm

bobturnip wrote:Do you remember those big, squishy black plastic cases that the tapes used to come in ?
Yes, I remember them. Was the Warner Home Video cases. We had quite a few of them:
Gremlins
Deal Of The Century
Firefox
Little Drummer Girl
Sudden Impact
1001 Rabbit Tales
Fantastic Island
Private Benjamin (I think we had this)
Some film with Sean Connery (I can't remember the name)

The edges were bloody sharp, though. Many times I'd go to the plaster box after handling them.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

filecore

Post by filecore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Once we got a Granada VHS player I remember that we had a bloke that would come once a week in his car. Head out to his car and open the hatchback and they would all be laid out for you to choose.