Dr Who - the old series - and other Cult Sci Fi

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

jdanddiet

Re: Dr Who - the old series - your recommendations

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:55 pm

A personal favourite, despite some terrible special effects at the end, was Terror of the Zygons.

But other wise some great choices here. Inferno and carnival of monsters are great as are the auton stories. I like the green death too.

Horror of fang rock is another fave and I have a soft spot for the Peter Davison era, especially earthshock.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:38 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
(they had 1st series of Blake 7 for £12, so picked that up
instead as i've never seen that either)
Have fun with that as well. My favourite episode of Blake's 7 is 'Rumours of Death' from the third season. But we don't want to stay too off topic.

As for another Dr. Who recommendations :-

Revelation of the Daleks. A pretty good sixth Doctor story. Has a few annoying characters, but some decent stuff in the storyline.
Silver Nemesis - Yes, okay the story was very similar to 'Remembrance of the Daleks', but it has its own merits as well.
Black Orchid - A bit of a curio. Not your usual type of Dr. Who story.
The Visitation - A decent Peter Davison story with a novel twist at the end of it.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:50 am

have now watched Tomb of the Cyberman and the Sensorites.

Tomb was fantastic - really loved Troughton

The sensorites was boring and very long for it's story premise. Not that keen on Hartnell either

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:have now watched Tomb of the Cyberman and the Sensorites.

Tomb was fantastic - really loved Troughton

The sensorites was boring and very long for it's story premise. Not that keen on Hartnell either
Yeah, 'Tomb of the Cybermen' was really good. Has quite a cinematic feel to it as well.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:31 am

Another shout here for Curse of Fenric. It was genuinely quite scary when I watched it as a kid.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:49 pm

in the newer Who, was reading on Den of Geek today John Simms basically trashing Russell T Davies version of the master as annoying and stupid. I think he has a point. He wants to be the master again, but in darker version - Simm is great actor, hope they go down that route

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:in the newer Who, was reading on Den of Geek today John Simms basically trashing Russell T Davies version of the master as annoying and stupid. I think he has a point. He wants to be the master again, but in darker version - Simm is great actor, hope they go down that route
Interesting. I thought that Derek Jacobi did a good job of him in both the new TV series and that web episode special with Richard E. Grant as the Doctor. John Simms did a good job of him, but I suppose you could say he was a bit of a pantomime villain in that. It was interesting that Russell T. Davies expanded a bit on the Master's back story.

What happened to the Rani making a comeback? I heard rumours about that a couple of years ago.

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:12 pm

I'd say most Pertwee and Tom Baker stories are worth watching, with the odd exception, and the transition between those two doctors probably encapsulated the golden age of classic Doctor Who.

I'd recommend:

City of Death- Set on location in Paris, complete with the Tardis landing on the Eiffel Tower, a cameo from John Cleese and a green alien with one eye who manages to pose as a French Count (and keep the fact he is green and one eyed from the Countess). And some brilliant lines from the Douglas Adams penned script.

Masque of Mandragora- Set in 15th century Italy, this is another favourite.

Talons of Weng Chiang- Probably the closest the Doctor ever got to Sherlock Holmes. Though Sherlock never had to deal with a Peking Homonculus.

Robots of Death- Basically Agatha Christie in space (and that's a good thing).

Also:
Horror of Fang Rock
The Silurians
The Sea Devils
The Time Warrior
Inferno
Pyramids of Mars

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 pm

I just remembered another favourite of mine, the Peter Davison story 'Enlightenment'. The last part of the 'Black Guardian Trilogy'. Really decent story to it.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:16 pm

There are the 2 movies which has Peter Cushing in it but I found that they were very camped compared to the TV series!

supermario

Post by supermario » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:26 am

Seeds of Doom was the first one I watched - was very scary at the time.
Stones of Blood and the rest of the Key to Time mini-series
Castrovalva

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:28 pm

resident paul wrote:There are the 2 movies which has Peter Cushing in it but I found that they were very camped compared to the TV series!
now those films I do remember watching as a kid. The one set on Skaro I quite enjoyed in a 'brain turned off' fashion. What stuck with me is the inside of the Tardis was basically empy save a few wires - budget problems ahoy!

EDIT: got a sense people would like to chat about Blake 7 and other old classic Sci Fi TV, so have amended the topic title

ootini

Re: Dr Who - the old series - and other Cult Sci Fi

Post by ootini » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:03 pm

Another cult BBC made Sci-Fi series worth a mention is Tripods. Which was first aired in around 1984. Was a pretty big deal at the time cos they went all out on the special effects (for television anyway) Wound up costing to much and was cancelled before they could finish the third series.

I bought the DVD there a few years back and still found it really enjoyable, despite the early 80's BBC production values which is somewhere between Dr Who and the The Railway Children or something. Has that hazy film quality to it. Not nearly as terrifying as I found it back when I was 5.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Tripods is fun, despite some really below par acting from the lead characters. The portion in the Tripod city was pretty dazzling way back in the day. There is also a prequel book 'When the tripods came'

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Peter Davidson was the era I started watching it, even met him when I was a kid and he signed my Dr Who Annual, must have been around the time of the 5 Doctors. The must have repeated a lot on TV though, as I do remember watching a lot of Tom Baker and some John Pertwee as a kid too. UKgold years ago (circa 1999) used to show old ones on a Saturday morning and I certainly watched a few then. I did buy a DVD set off someone on here recently for a good price (think it was firebreather sales thread) one with Daleks in. Not watched it yet, its now in the cupboard somewhere.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.