Am I the only one...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Re: Am I the only one...

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:07 pm

samhain81 wrote:The girls were definately abit wilder in the 80's, and up for more.
That was probably just the age you/they were at. The 80s is when the AIDS scare kicked off.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:15 pm

The '90s were at best 30% as good as the '80s. It was a massive disappointment.

In the '80s the music was better, the films were better, the TV was better, general freedom to do what you wanted was better, political correctness was better (i.e. it didn't exist), even political leaders were more interesting (Thatcher/Regan/Gorbachev vs John Major), computing was much better, in fact I'm struggling to think of anything good about it apart from Oasis, Babylon 5, the Amiga 1200 and the Playstation.

It was much better than the 2000's. They were about 10% as good as the '80s, and most of that was because of the PS2.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 am

^Like others have said it just depends on the era you grew up in.

I was born in the 70's, as a kid it was all about the 80's, couldnt stand most 80's music at the time but have grown to quite like it now, as computers were all new i loved being a kid in the 80's. But the fashion of the 80's i'm still shocked by, terrible.

Being a teenager in the 90's was brilliant, music i loved, tv/movies not so much but chasing women in clubs/pubs was great. First real job so earning money and spending it on various things were great.

00's i'm now turning into my dad, staying in more due to mortgage and other stuff, moaning about the state of the charts etc. The 10's similar, dont go out tons due to the nipper, have the occasional big night out with the lads and still shocked at the state of music with every 'group' having the word '...feat...' which means 'avoid this at all costs'.

I'm really happy i was around for the 'birth' of home computers and the internet, amazing to see it develop to where it is now. And as always i'm stunned when some kid moans about some 69p app - then i start coming out with my 'in my day games were £7.95....' dad speech.

shmuk

Post by shmuk » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:35 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
samhain81 wrote:The girls were definately abit wilder in the 80's, and up for more.
That was probably just the age you/they were at. The 80s is when the AIDS scare kicked off.
Maybe the two are related...

>_>
<_<
psj3809 wrote: And as always i'm stunned when some kid moans about some 69p app - then i start coming out with my 'in my day games were £7.95....' dad speech.
Yeah, that always bugged me. People complain about paying once they have had the luxury of getting it for free.
- Shmuk Lidooha

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:34 pm

psj3809 wrote:But the fashion of the 80's i'm still shocked by, terrible.
I don't know about that, I quite like big 80s hair on a woman* and the whole raggedy Madonna thing still works for me.

Maybe because its because I was a bit too young for punk, but the whole costume element of it is quite expressive and fun. It irks me that male fashions are so horribly dull now. I go clothes shopping and see rows and rows of samey shirts and trousers, its all just so bland and has been for a couple of decades.

Maybe I should spend more time with the cosplayers?

* only on top.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:* only on top.
:lol:

How far down are we talking here? Armpit?

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 pm

necronom wrote:The '90s were at best 30% as good as the '80s. It was a massive disappointment.

In the '80s the music was better, the films were better, the TV was better, general freedom to do what you wanted was better, political correctness was better (i.e. it didn't exist), even political leaders were more interesting (Thatcher/Regan/Gorbachev vs John Major), computing was much better, in fact I'm struggling to think of anything good about it apart from Oasis, Babylon 5, the Amiga 1200 and the Playstation.

It was much better than the 2000's. They were about 10% as good as the '80s, and most of that was because of the PS2.
\

This...

well most of it.

I'd attribute a large percentage of the blame as to why the 90's sucked on Oasis who irritated me to no end. Could never fathom their popularity.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:34 pm

ootini wrote:I'd attribute a large percentage of the blame as to why the 90's sucked on Oasis who irritated me to no end. Could never fathom their popularity.
Seriously ? Before Oasis i was into crappy dance music at the time, the charts were full of Stock Aiken and Waterman. When i was younger i wasnt into music tons so despite now great bands like The Smiths in the 80's i wasnt 'into' music much then. Started liking the Stone Roses in the early 90's and then they faded and disappeared, and NIrvana but werent blown away at the time.

Then Oasis arrived, tons of attitude which i loved. I mean come on do you want the lead singer to be a total wimp or be total 'rock n roll'. Its like people who win the lottery, i would go crazy with the money, others might buy a new cup ! If you were the lead singer of Oasis in the early 90's, you could sleep with anyone, tons of money coming in, in your early 20's you would act exactly the same way.

Anyway for me personally the music was amazing, the first two albums were total classics but what also made them greater than great were the b-sides. Many of the b sides were better than a fair few songs on those two great albums. The b sides werent 'filler', they were brilliant.

Again in the early 90's so many bands mimed on Top of the Pops, they were manufactured, they had songs written for them, mimed and didnt play instruments.

Here was a band who could play live, wrote their own songs (Yeah yeah i know 'influenced' by the Beatles) and were great live.

One minute i was totally depressed mostly with the charts with dance music/crappy pop music, then suddenly Oasis arrived and its like everything clicked into place. The first real group i totally got into. They were talking about what i was into, friday nights getting hammered, cigarettes/alcohol, just huge uplifting guitar music. Then of course they had the 'slowies' as well.

Then Britpop exploded and there were so many good guitar groups (and granted some bad ones), Top of the Pops were full of these guitar groups rather than the usual crappy boyband/girlband. Great great times !

Anyway as mentioned a few times earlier, the 80's were a great decade but the 90's were 1) when i got into music big time 2) when i started dating/sleeping with girls ! and 3) earnt money. So combine being in my very early 20's / first job/ girls , the 90's were a good good time. I was too young to fully appreciate the 80's, didnt work, lived at home, didnt date tons of girls until i was 18 or so in 1990 and then it all went well

I mean okay you dont like Oasis but you 'must' see why they were so popular ? Music was mostly crap at the time, Oasis just blew me away. I mean i wont start waffling on about all their albums but even a neutral person must see that their first two albums were just hugeeeee.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:14 pm

psj3809 wrote:Then Oasis arrived, tons of attitude which i loved.
I don't mind them, but I'd much rather listen to The Buzzcocks and others of that era. 90s really wasn't so hot following the 70s and 80s.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Then Oasis arrived, tons of attitude which i loved.
I don't mind them, but I'd much rather listen to The Buzzcocks and others of that era. 90s really wasn't so hot following the 70s and 80s.
Well i was too young to really enjoy any music in the 70's, now when i look back at that era i'm just not personally a fan, 60's i dont mind. 80's at the time i liked, then when i was older going to '80's nights' was great, great atmosphere, just a great laugh. I think similar to games its often the era you grew up in.

I loved the 90's as like i said before thats when i earnt money/met lots of girls, got drunk, just had a laugh so just like with computer games i associate so many songs with good times out on a friday/saturday night etc. In the 80's i didnt buy one record, quite happy to tape a few songs off the radio, when it was the 90's there was me queuing up outside HMV in the morning in 1997 to get Be Here Now (Oasis album) etc, i was really into my music then. Now i still love it but quite happy to order off amazon and wait for the day after release for the album or download the mp3's.

But before Oasis/indie came along i just was a bit 'lost' in music (not sounding like that 70's song !), nothing really took my fancy, crappy dance music, hell no to pop music at the time, rap was alright (Public Enemy/NWA) but i couldnt 'relate' to them/what they spoke about. Oasis arrived and seemed to go on about what i liked

bobturnip

Post by bobturnip » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:01 pm

I think the late seventies into the first half of the eighties was an amazing period in popular culture.

It is very difficult now to imagine what it was like to see a film like Jaws, or Star Wars, or Alien, or Indiana Jones for the very first time, having seen nothing remotely like it ever before. Or to hear rap music for the first time and think "WTF...?", or see Michael Jackson do the Moonwalk for the very first time - or to switch on a machine plugged into your TV, plug in a cartridge and play an actual game on your TV for the very first time. Difficult to imagine, because all those things are so familiar and have been copied, and reproduced everywhere ever since over the years.
Last edited by bobturnip on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:07 pm

I remember when our dad came back one day with a video recorder under his arm. This was back in 1985. Yes! Finally we can watch feature films when we like and maybe even record live TV, what a revelation!

Of course if you were born in the late 80's, early 90's this kind of technology would be second nature to you. It's always more amazing to see the technology for the first time as it arrives.

I'm only 34, but I'm still amazed by what iPads and Smartphones can do in terms of capabilities and graphics. If someone could have told me the future of technology 20 years ago, I would have said it was impossible.

bobturnip

Post by bobturnip » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:29 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Something a bit worrying regarding all this struck me the other day - I realised I've spent the last three or four years researching and acquiring or re-acquiring everything I loved or even mildly liked in the late 80s or all of the 90s, meaning that there's nothing interesting or exciting in the present or future.
I suppose one consolation is that such retro activity is only made possible these days because of the Internet and sites like eBay - exciting, useful modern-day tech & services that didn't exist in 1990.