Am I the only one...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Re: Am I the only one...

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:I think the years you experience between the ages of 6 and 12 are the ones you most fondly remember. Old enough to take most of it in, young enough not to worry about the future.
You need to take in the teens, discovering beer and women to make the triumvirate with games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 pm

My teens were horrible - there I was, this raging ball of hormones wanting to shag just about any unrelated woman still breathing, yet girls didn't wanna know what with me being an acne-ridden, sweaty, five-foot-nothing überspod with a pudding bowl haircut, jug ears, buck teeth and National Health "gold"-rimmed specs. I was a living caricature.
And to this very day the taste of beer makes me vom, just never liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:02 pm

I was a shut-in through most of my teenage years. All the way up until I was 14 it was great, class-clown, into the drama stuff and all that, but then my 14th birthday came along and all the confidence died. Bonus! I was the first one in my year to get a spot as well, despite being one of the youngest! Things improved a bit once I got to 17, but yeah - 6-13 would be the "wonder years".
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:59 am

I was the complete opposite, my teens are when I came out of my shell and I had a great time. Ok, women weren't exactly falling at my feet, but I did ok and had some excellent friends whose company I enjoyed who shared my interests and they weren't all the weird kids. 17 was the peak, that was a hell of a year.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:27 am

I was shy at school, didnt help my best mate was Mr Loud in the whole year so i was his quiet sidekick !

But the second i touched alcohol i totally changed, then stayed the same when i was sober, eg being more confident etc. Chasing girls in my teenage years wasnt a huge success. I think i made the same mistake many others did, punching about my weight, go for girls on my level not the stunners who kept knocking me back ! But blokes always do that.

Looking back it was a laugh, at the time it was quite annoying getting blown out or knocked back by certain girls but you live and learn.

Scary how fast time is going though, dont mind 40 one bit but thinking i'll be 50 in 10 years time sounds ridiculous !

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:27 pm

I loved both the 80's and 90's equally. I have some fantastic childhood memories from the 80’s and some equally fantastic memories as a teen and young adult in the 90’s. Hardly a care in the world and so much spare time for my favourite hobby. I feel privileged to have grown up during those decades.

The noughties up until the present day have been somewhat of a reality check by comparison. Nowadays it's more about ensuring happy memories for my children rather than self focus. Still had plenty of good times and there's plenty of happy memories, but nothing like before.

Eat your nans pants

Wol

Post by Wol » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:55 am

90's - GamesMaster, Bad Influence, Games World
00's - Gamezville

I rest my case....

But in all seriousness, I agree 90's is my childhood (born in 83) so when the 90's came along I was just at the right age to enjoy it as a kid. So many great memories maybe rose tinted, but who cares, good times!
Image /// Drinkin' some beer, playin' some games \\\

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:40 pm

No you are not alone. At all.

I think of the 90's every day. Everything was better. I always compare everything I do, to the 90s. Its quite sad actually, but its great to know that life was actually good at one point lol

A question for all of you, and this is actually scary how many people seem to think so.

If somebody were to say to you ' .....10 year agos I' or ' what were you doing 10 years ago?'

What decade would you think of? Come on, you know you automatically thought of the 90's :lol:

Why? Because it kicked ass!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:02 pm

I was born in the summer of 78, so I grew up in the 80's and the 90's. As far as gaming goes, they were great times for innovation, everything was advancing so fast!

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:18 am

samhain81 wrote:No you are not alone. At all.

I think of the 90's every day. Everything was better. I always compare everything I do, to the 90s. Its quite sad actually, but its great to know that life was actually good at one point lol

A question for all of you, and this is actually scary how many people seem to think so.

If somebody were to say to you ' .....10 year agos I' or ' what were you doing 10 years ago?'

What decade would you think of? Come on, you know you automatically thought of the 90's :lol:

Why? Because it kicked ass!
See this guy? This guy has the right idea.

For me, the 90's were the best part of my life because, without going into detail, it was basically when my school life and such didn't suck back then. That, and... honestly, I just still believe that anything the 80's did, the 90's could do way better.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:22 pm

I was also born mid 80's so the 80's and 90's were the decades for me! But yes, nostalgic as f**k at 27 :D.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Ive posted this before, but here it is again for those who may have missed it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbBJrK4d ... re=related

Enjoy

Eat your nans pants

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:50 pm

I'm a 90's kid so I will be biased and say that they were the last great 'times'. Even though I was only born in 1990, I still like a lot of 80's stuff but the 90's are what I really miss. I guess they just seemed more...hopeful in general? It's all doom and gloom these days. Since 2000, it all seems to be:

- Increased prominence of terrorism
- Recessions and work/money-related grimness
- Too many rap artists and generic ibiza/dubstep rubbish in the charts
- Crap TV
- Too many 'reality' shows and a depressing obsession with celebrities and talentless 'Essex types' on the telly.
- The likes of the BBC news more determined than ever to shove miserable news down our throats and make us all unhappy.
- Everything getting more expensive and yet declining in quality/quantity/size
- Politicians speaking more nonsense than ever and more braindead 'ideas' than ever
- People addicted to mobile phones like they are the second messiah or something
- People glued to the likes of Facebook and taking it all worryingly seriously
- Kids worse behaved than ever

But hey... I guess it's all 'progress' for you eh? Granted, some of these ^^^ aren't exclusive to the 2000's but a lot is. The 90's were great, the milennium onwards sucked.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:52 pm

I was 10 to 20 in the Nineties. Best decade ever. The Noughties was rubbish. The Tenties are much better (new job, house, wife)
Going Solo...................

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Very good for films, great for games but probably the best decade for music. Comedy was also a beneficiary as the 90s gave us Steve Coogan and Chris Morris. Not so good for football, however, considering Man City spent most of it fighting relegation or being relegated.

Also, MTV played music, as opposed to shows about spoilt pregnant teenagers and tanned Americans with STDs.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile