Scary washing machine advert?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Scary washing machine advert?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:40 pm

MattyC64c wrote:Yes there it is. 'Dry Electric' and 'Wash Electric' were just some of the adverts produced by the UK's Electricity boards, just before privatisation came in, in about 1991-1992. You'll probably remember adverts like these for electric cookers or 'Cook Electric' Adverts.
Yeah, I've got the Heat Electric and Cook Electric adverts on an Aardman compilation DVD - using a lot of the same animals from Creature Comforts. Cute things!

A nice campaign altogether - another fairly creepy one from AFTER the privatisation would be this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZXltqBzQok
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I didn't find the National Power with the Plyons creepy, although I was 13-14 back then so the younger kids might have been a bit spooked.

There has only ever been one advert that I found spooky when I was a nipper. It was an Advert for Castrol GTX, made sometime in the middle of the 1980's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us63RzXT ... plpp_video

I remember many a time downstairs in the living room just dropping off, then that spooky music making me jump!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Wow good work all rond.

Advert uploaders are amazing.

This forum is amazing.

Tuesday night drinking is amazing. :D :D :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:20 pm

Unfortunately that other advert for Kinder has drawn a blank. Sorry.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:51 pm

I will find that Gerry Anderson ad - even if it means watching every ad break from the second half of the 80s uploaded to YouTube.

Also remind me to put up that half hour's worth of ads from about 1990 I transferred onto DVD ages ago. Last time I tried to rip it to my HDD the lip-sync went to c0ck in such a way that even VirtualDub couldn't fix.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:39 am

MattyC64c wrote:Unfortunately that other advert for Kinder has drawn a blank. Sorry.
KTHXBAI :lol:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Also remind me to put up that half hour's worth of ads from about 1990 I transferred onto DVD ages ago. Last time I tried to rip it to my HDD the lip-sync went to c0ck in such a way that even VirtualDub couldn't fix.
Done it! Managed to sort the lip-sync (mostly...), shame about the picture quality but then 240p does mean using less of my broadband allowance! :lol:
http://youtu.be/bk-XWTlwAMo

There's some goodies in there - the Wispa ads with Peter Cook and Mel Smith, a Rutger Hauer Guinness one, Maureen Lipman's Beattie (and Caroline Quentin as well), the "Relax" Intercity one, PG Tips with the chimps...

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:58 pm

What year are they from? The only one I remember is the one about immunisation - and the Boost one seems like one I would've remembered!
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 pm

^ My suspicions were correct after a little research - 1990.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:I've been trying to find the two RBS ads Gerry Anderson made in the late 80s. The Henry Moore one is on YouTube, but the only place I could find the Giacometti one was on a subscription site for people in the advertising industry.
FINALLY!

I was looking in the wrong place - it just doesn't seem to be on YouTube at all.

Vimeo came up with the goods though.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:42 am

That's Gerry Anderson? Didn't know he ever did any stop-motion... Don't recognise it but I enjoyed it at least, so cheers for sharing :)

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:30 am

I have a hazy recollection of this add!

I shall try and hunt for it online or through my VHS vaults, which are, I'm proud to say, rather vast!! :D
Press Play On Tape

parappa

Post by parappa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:45 pm

When I was a 5 yr old kid in France, the big Supermarket Cora had a Xmas advert where 2 kids would be stuck in Cora at night, and Santa would come down the pipe and play with them all night in the store...it made me censored myself and refuse to go in Cora ever, thinking I would be locked in there and have to spend the night playing with him.