Scary washing machine advert?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

TwoHeadedBoy

Scary washing machine advert?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:26 am

Poor Megamixer can't seem to find the advert he's looking for. Maybe I'll have better luck?

It was an advert that used to fascinate and terrify me in equal measure, in the late 1980s or early 1990s. There's a cottage, with clothes hanging on the line. It starts to rain, and the clothes jump off the line as if invisible people are wearing them. They run into the house and jump into the washing machine, for some reason. It MIGHT have had "Hall of the Mountain King" as background music, but that could be my memory playing tricks.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

themightymartin

Re: Scary washing machine advert?

Post by themightymartin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:30 am

I know the ad you're on about, so I can at least prove that it wasn't just a figment of your imagination. Unless, of course, I am a figment of your imagination...
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:39 am

I'm pretty sure it was an Aerial advert, as I do recall the washing on the line coming to life, and flying into the washing machine.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:47 am

So it WAS a real advert! Then why can't I find it on YouTube? The advert-uploading community have let me, and themselves, down. They should be ashamed.

It was that Mountain King music, wasn't it?
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:49 am

I remember it too.
And that leads me to ask my own question - I've been trying to find the two RBS ads Gerry Anderson made in the late 80s. The Henry Moore one is on YouTube, but the only place I could find the Giacometti one was on a subscription site for people in the advertising industry.
Sorry for hijacking but I didn't want to start another "help me find an ad" thread!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:17 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:So it WAS a real advert! Then why can't I find it on YouTube? The advert-uploading community have let me, and themselves, down. They should be ashamed.

Lol I bet it's on there, but quite a lot of old breaks are put on in full, rather than individual ads, unless they are really famous. I'm pretty sure I've seen it too.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:34 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:So it WAS a real advert! Then why can't I find it on YouTube? The advert-uploading community have let me, and themselves, down. They should be ashamed.

I'm pretty sure it was. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me. And I just tried a search for it, and found nothing. Not even searching for Persil or Surf found anything.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:55 pm

I also remember it, it was like the cadbury's one they had a year or two back.

I've tried the best part of an hour putting in every combination of Ariel, Persil, Surf, Bounce and the like in google, youtube etc etc but to no avail!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm disappointed I never seem to be able to find a particular Kinder advert - it always comes back to that creepy Humpty-Dumpty one.

I swear I saw one once advertising a range of aircraft toys, where you saw the toys, anthropomorphised and animated, running up a hill and taking off, but one trips and falls. What was particularly striking is (I'm fairly sure) that the one that fell was a twin-rotor troop-carrying type helicopter, and this was around the time that the Mull-of-Kintyre Chinook crash had just been blamed - highly controversially - on 'pilot error', despite considerable evidence of faults in the engine control system of that type. :shock:

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:32 pm

There is a user on YouTube that has a massive archive of old adverts, he's so well informed, he even knows what date they were broadcast! I've asked him about this old ad as it's intrigued me too. I l'll let you know if he comes back to me.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:04 pm

I've found some info on this from my source on YouTube. Apparently it was a Wash Electric advert shown in 1988, 1989 and 1990. It's not for a washing powder. This was back before the electricity boards were privatised. All I need to do now is find the ad...

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Oh, wow - cheers Matty! That's a lot of effort, thanks a lot.

And Dave, your efforts are appreciated too :D

EDIT:
FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu9J3t09HNc

Just as scary as I remember it, if not more so. It's not the Mountain King music, but it's similar.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:08 pm

Yes there it is. 'Dry Electric' and 'Wash Electric' were just some of the adverts produced by the UK's Electricity boards, just before privatisation came in, in about 1991-1992. You'll probably remember adverts like these for electric cookers or 'Cook Electric' Adverts.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Could you ask him about my Kinder one too please? Prove I'm not imagining it?

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:25 pm

joefish wrote:Could you ask him about my Kinder one too please? Prove I'm not imagining it?
I will try, doesn't seem to be many adverts my source doesn't know about lol.