GamesMaster

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

retroreviewgames

GamesMaster

Post by retroreviewgames » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Can anyone else remember the watching Games Master religiously as a kid?!?!?

alistair_thomas

Re: GamesMaster

Post by alistair_thomas » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Used to love it, highlight of the week for me. In the days before the Internet it was pretty much the only place I could see new games in action too.

I did manage to download the entire series a few years back (bar the odd episode). I started watching them every so often and they lasted me over a year!

merman

Post by merman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:31 am

I used to watch it for the games, not the presenters and the "humour".

Think one of my favourite episodes was the one where you could send in messages to appear on Teletext during the broadcast. Gee, that was a good idea!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Always made sure I watched it, even the Gore Special that was broadcast at about 11pm. Ahhh, great days. Always used to love the challenges, and I still to this day want a GamesMaster Golden Joystick :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Retroreviewgames, welcome to the RG forums. That sure is a mighty big sig you got there.
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

retroreviewgames

Post by retroreviewgames » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:33 am

Hi Rossi,

I couldn't find any sig requirements and had the banner already pre made for something else. I have removed it until I can create a nice smaller one for you all :)

The Gore special was definitely the best episode EVER! Or the one with young cocky Simon Amstell getting his ass kicked on a tennis game.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:26 am

I remember half-watching it whilse eating my tea one night, and the time-trial challenge or whatever had a game that looked amazing but I've never known what it was. From memory, it was a platformer sort of thing, and part-way through they chopped off Medusa's head and then used it as a weapon to fight a dragon with. Something like that, anyway.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:38 am

Here's a treat.
I've posted this link before in another thread but it has to be mentioned again, this guy has uploaded EVERY SINGLE EPISODE! (likewise with Bad Influence, Bits, When Games Attack and Knightmare - the man's a legend! :D )

http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamiteHeaddy

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:19 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I remember half-watching it whilse eating my tea one night, and the time-trial challenge or whatever had a game that looked amazing but I've never known what it was. From memory, it was a platformer sort of thing, and part-way through they chopped off Medusa's head and then used it as a weapon to fight a dragon with. Something like that, anyway.
That sounds like System 3's Myth: History in the Making.

C64 version is best imho, though there are console versions where they changed the lead sprite to a barbarian type.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:27 pm

I watched it religiously as kid. Still watch an episode every week for pure nostalgia.

I watched it then as a kid for the games, but I watch it now for the games AND the humour :lol:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I remember half-watching it whilse eating my tea one night, and the time-trial challenge or whatever had a game that looked amazing but I've never known what it was. From memory, it was a platformer sort of thing, and part-way through they chopped off Medusa's head and then used it as a weapon to fight a dragon with. Something like that, anyway.
That sounds like System 3's Myth: History in the Making.

C64 version is best imho, though there are console versions where they changed the lead sprite to a barbarian type.
Got it in one, cheers! Looks like the Amiga version is the one they were playing on GamesMaster, although looking at several videos I like the look of the Spectrum one most. Give it a go later on, that's what I'll do.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:02 pm

merman wrote:I used to watch it for the games, not the presenters and the "humour".
I'm with you on that. I just didn't find it that funny and to me it felt like all those other 'yoof' programmes that tried to be edgy and cool but never really quite nailed it. I especially disliked the challenges; they just felt like a waste of time. But on the occasions when they reviewed games and did interviews, I thought it was great.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:04 pm

What would have been good was the Gamesmaster presentation with the Bad Influence content. If we'd got that slightly older target audience (though even Gamesmaster is pitched a bit young) and teamed Violet with Dominic it would have been a winner imo. Revisiting them now, Bad Influence is a far better show but its just too juvenile.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 pm

I only saw a small bit of it, it was the best of DVD released with GamesMaster magazine a few years ago, I've still got that on my shelf.

It looks like something I would have enjoyed though, I don't know why I never saw any of it while I was growing up.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:30 pm

The episode where Dave Perry messes up playing Mario 64 never, ever gets old :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEFr6ACZ8sI

Absolute comedy gold.
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!