Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:12 pm

samhain81 wrote:the glow in the dark Casper The Movie stickers which were released with Cornflakes to coincide with the 1993 film, which I loved as a child. Still do actually. :D
Still got a couple of those - one with Stinky and one with the three uncles all together. But it was 1995 ;)

The best ones ever, and the only ones we managed to get a full set of (due mostly to going through the boxes in Kwik Save to see if it was a "got" or a "need"), were the Monster Wrestlers from Frosties:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:28 pm

It didn't stop due to the choking risk (frankly most of the prizes were a bit too big to attempt to swallow).

I reckon it has an extremely indirect connection to the kind of legislation that banned junk food advertising in children's programmes and before that the discouragement of pester power.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:45 am

Katzkatz wrote:I got an atlas from Weetabix(you had to collect the tokens and send off for it).
I had that atlas too :D . I think it has a picture on the front of a load of kids sitting/standing on a fake globe or something? Came in useful many times for school work that one did! Don't think I have it anymore though.

I also remember sending off tokens for those collectable cars by Lledo. Again, sold all of those ages ago. Same with a complete set of the Corgi Weetabix lorries.
TwoHeadedBoy wrote: The best ones ever, and the only ones we managed to get a full set of (due mostly to going through the boxes in Kwik Save to see if it was a "got" or a "need"), were the Monster Wrestlers from Frosties:

I had loads of those and tons of duplicates too. Sadly they all got binned several years ago during a move! Also had some rubber monsters that came in bright 'highlighter' colours? Think there was an green alligator man and an orange griffin type thing...though you probably know more about these things than I do THB :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:07 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
samhain81 wrote:the glow in the dark Casper The Movie stickers which were released with Cornflakes to coincide with the 1993 film, which I loved as a child. Still do actually. :D
Still got a couple of those - one with Stinky and one with the three uncles all together. But it was 1995 ;)

The best ones ever, and the only ones we managed to get a full set of (due mostly to going through the boxes in Kwik Save to see if it was a "got" or a "need"), were the Monster Wrestlers from Frosties:
Oh my god your post is a double whammie for me. Not only do you have casper stickers left, but also made me remember one of the coolest sets I ever had, the monster wrestlers.

Thanks for depressing me :(

Please oh please trade me those casper stickers, honestly I'd trade some ps3 games for it

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Megamixer wrote:Also had some rubber monsters that came in bright 'highlighter' colours? Think there was an green alligator man and an orange griffin type thing...though you probably know more about these things than I do THB :)
These ones? ;)

Managed to keep hold of the box all these years, ha ha!
Samhain81 wrote:Oh my god your post is a double whammie for me. Not only do you have casper stickers left, but also made me remember one of the coolest sets I ever had, the monster wrestlers.

Thanks for depressing me

Please oh please trade me those casper stickers, honestly I'd trade some ps3 games for it
If I find them, I'll see if I can prise them up. When we moved house I took about fifteen years worth of stickers off my door and window and put them in a book. Now that book is somewhere in this flat, so if I find it I'll see if it's safe to peel them (mind you, I don't have a PS3!).
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:08 pm

I had the Weetabix Lorry and some shrinky dinks definitely.

I also remember one cereal (Weetabix again?) giving away Star Wars transfers. It had a scene from the film on the back of the packet, and then you'd spend ages soaking mini Stormtroopers in warm water and placing them on the scene.

I had the Death Star docking bay with the Millenium Falcon, and I remember making all my Stormtroopers look like they were falling down the pit in the middle.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:07 pm

ipmarks wrote:I also remember one cereal (Weetabix again?) giving away Star Wars transfers. It had a scene from the film on the back of the packet, and then you'd spend ages soaking mini Stormtroopers in warm water and placing them on the scene.

I had the Death Star docking bay with the Millenium Falcon, and I remember making all my Stormtroopers look like they were falling down the pit in the middle.

Those were brill. :D
I used to LOVE the old Letraset things you could buy, which were similar. A smart picture and loads of rub-on transfers to put on it. I'd spend ages planning out where everything was going to go and then spend a rainy afternoon making my awesome picture. Had a Star Trek one and a couple of Star Wars ones over the years. The Remus Play Kit ones were the best because they were really cheap. I remember a truly great one from Remus that was some sort of WWII scene and I think they did a sci-fi one that had kind of reptilian aliens on it.
I love this thread. Bringing out some great memories for me. :D
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:10 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:

i would have never remembered about these if you hadnt post this pic :D

I seem to remember getting that yellow/red juster dude (2nd in pic)in almost every pack! :lol:
same goes for hunchback from monster in my pocket, must of had about 10 copys of him & so did my mates, i couldnt even give him away! :lol:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:08 pm

The jester was the first one we ever got as well! Took forever to get the shark - had a fair few Tony The Tigers before getting the shark, most of which ended up buried in the garden.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:41 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:

Those are those things that I was telling you I saw in the retro shop last week thought they where ultimate Muscle, he also had a lot of those MIMP pictured..

Just found some Lara Croft figures from the Shreddies and some Weetabix sticker Girl Weetabix and Football Hooligan Weetabix characters and Tony Tigers jeep.. Wish I still had the Dungeons and Dragons Holographic cards they where awesome
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:24 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Also had some rubber monsters that came in bright 'highlighter' colours? Think there was an green alligator man and an orange griffin type thing...though you probably know more about these things than I do THB :)
These ones? ;)
That's them :) .

I had Bones, Winged Panther, Sebek and Bishop Fish. Wish I hadn't binned them now :(

Does anybody remember getting free collectable cards with tea bags? I have a complete set of 'Going Wild' (some WWF animal thing) cards in the album and a handed-down complete Typhoo 'Transport through the ages' set in an album too. I also have a few random cards from a PG Tips 'Creatures of Legend' set which I wish I had the full lot of really because they look quite cool.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:22 am

Thats wierd, as the Shark was the one I had the most duplicates of :P

ootini

Post by ootini » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah. I was a massive hoarder of these things as a kid. Stand outs for me were: (all early to mid 80's)

Lenticular Dinosaur Cards in in Cornflakes, About the size of a business card or smaller.

Glow in the dark horror stickers with Weetabix - One image was also used on the cover of Baal for the Amiga.

The Black Cauldron figurines with cornflakes also. There was a bit of a buzz with kids collecting these in school at the time.

There was little WIllow diorama things round when it was in the Cinema's. Printed foamboard scene with a character that slotted onto a the scene base.

Cornflakes again I think: Little boats, submarines and divers that you put baking soda in and put them in water to propel them.

Animal Heads of course too. On the back of the pack that you cut out and assembled.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Megamixer wrote: I had Bones, Winged Panther, Sebek and Bishop Fish. Wish I hadn't binned them now :(
Semi-interesting fact - these figures were all duplicates of series 1 and 2 of Monster In My Pocket. The one here called "Bones" was named "Bloody Bones" in the original line. Kellog's must've thought it was a swear word or something.

And those tea cards, yes! I have full sets of dinosaurs, animals, transport and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:02 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: And those tea cards, yes! I have full sets of dinosaurs, animals, transport and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles :D
I used to have the album for the dinosaur one but no cards - it's long gone now though. I wish they still did things like this. Seems like nothing - crisps, cereals, tea bags - has anything free or collectable in them these days. It's all texting codes off pop bottles or some similar rubbish...does anybody even bother with those kind of promotions? I know I never even give them a second glance.