Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

nokgod

Re: Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

Post by nokgod » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:I got an atlas from Weetabix(you had to collect the tokens and send off for it).
I had that atlas too :D . I think it has a picture on the front of a load of kids sitting/standing on a fake globe or something? Came in useful many times for school work that one did! Don't think I have it anymore though.
You know that offer has been recycled for a loooong time? I have a Weetabix atlas in my attic (still in the original packaging it was posted in) that my Granddad sent off for in the 1950's. I'll have a look and see if i can locate it easily. if so, i'll post a pic or two. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:40 pm

here you go, found it:

ImageImageImageImageImage

8)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:28 am

The Beans wrote:
ipmarks wrote:I also remember one cereal (Weetabix again?) giving away Star Wars transfers. It had a scene from the film on the back of the packet, and then you'd spend ages soaking mini Stormtroopers in warm water and placing them on the scene.

I had the Death Star docking bay with the Millenium Falcon, and I remember making all my Stormtroopers look like they were falling down the pit in the middle.

Those were brill. :D
I used to LOVE the old Letraset things you could buy, which were similar. A smart picture and loads of rub-on transfers to put on it. I'd spend ages planning out where everything was going to go and then spend a rainy afternoon making my awesome picture. Had a Star Trek one and a couple of Star Wars ones over the years. The Remus Play Kit ones were the best because they were really cheap. I remember a truly great one from Remus that was some sort of WWII scene and I think they did a sci-fi one that had kind of reptilian aliens on it.
I love this thread. Bringing out some great memories for me. :D
YES!!!

I had loads of these scenes as a kid, loved creating my own Star Wars stories, all of the ones I had were rub-on, not soak-in-water types...we're some glow-in-the-dark too? They ended up on my headboard!

Also had the Weetabix lorries and F1 car, back then they just printed tokens on the box you could use for ANYTHING, they were not promotion specific, so by the time a new toy came out, my clever mother already had the tokens saved!

Does anyone remember the card models you used to get printed on the boxes? I distinctly remember building wildlife animal heads like leopards and zebras....not as awesome as the Star Trek models the from the original series, I remember building an Enterprise, Shuttle craft and Klingon Bird of Prey!!

station

Post by station » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:49 am

Raided a scrap Lada in local scrap yard in North Wales and found one of these still in it's packet:

Believe it's from 1996, which is probably how long the car has been there.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Ha, good one!

I've got the full set of those, and also three out of the four special tubes to put them in. None of mine were found inside a car though, so you win.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Am I mental or did one of the cereal makers realease colour changing spoons of the universal monsters in the early 90's?
Watching you sleep since 1990

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:05 pm

I remember those, and I'm sure I've got an advert for them somewhere amongst all my comics... If I ever find it I'll scan it.

You might be mental, but not in regarding the existence of monster-themed spoons.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

rupert

Post by rupert » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:43 am

I have this, says 1989 n the back..

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:52 am

There was one of those on my very first bike, sadly like the bike now long gone.
Watching you sleep since 1990

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Anyone here ever find £20 in walkers crisps?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Saw that book about crisp packets in a shop today. It's now a late addition to my letter to Santa :D

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:19 am

GigaPepsiMan wrote:Anyone here ever find £20 in walkers crisps?
Were these the ones wrapped in little blue bags, my brother found one (he was only 5 at the time!)
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:00 pm

actually my chocopops ( yes i eat those ) came with plastic star wars spoons with the handles in the shape of light sabers
since i like plastic spoons better with these kind of things i actually put them to use

anybody remember those pogs ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Ooh - I remember having a whole series of papercraft wild animal heads down the side of the wardrobe. You cut them out, cut the slots, and below the nose was a long strip that you threaded through all the slots and up the back to hang it from - there was no glue needed. But I'm pretty sure they were paper-based and came out of a very large book, not the back of a cereal packet.

I did get the green crocodile clip recently - mine's on a bag of frozen peas. Even supermarket own-brand cereals have offers on them, like collecting tokens for childrens books, or a cut-out game or mask on the back. But I guess it's cheaper to just change the printing on the packet than physically mess with a modern automated production line in order to drop something in every box. And nowadays all you need is to print a password key inside the packet to allow the customer to order or download all manner of stuff, with the added advantage that you have both a captive audience for a moment for more advertising, and you get to grab some useful customer profile data off them at the same time.

As for the amount of sugar in kids' cereals, stop repeating that American claptrap as it doesn't wash. Next time you're in the supermarket, take the brightest coloured packet of kids' cereal you can find and a healthy packet of Kellog's Start for sporty grown-ups and compare the calorie and sugar content. Then get some sugar-coated Ricicles or Cocos and some plain Rice Krispies and see what the difference is. We're talking gnats' tadgers.

Even the supposedly super-dieting Special K barely differs from what kids eat, though that cereal's changed enormously since the 70s. It only works for dieting if you follow the portion size on the packet and have a tiny bowl of it and nothing else, which you could just as easily claim for pretty much anything in the supermarket.

Really, it's extraordinary how they use just the same vain aspirational lifestyle and gullibility tricks to sell cereal to adults as they do to kids. You get the same free bowls, books, free cereal voucher etc. promotions on a pack of Honey Nut cornflakes as you do on Coco Pops.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm

I remember the animal head papercraft, they were done in a realistic style rather than caricatures. I seem to remember having a big cat and an ibis or something with curved horns that took some effort. The heads themselves were fairly flat and cubist, but all things considered did a pretty good job of representing the beasts they were meant to be. Was there an anteater?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.