Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:29 am

samhain81 wrote:the glow in the dark Casper The Movie stickers which were released with Cornflakes to coincide with the 1993 film, which I loved as a child. Still do actually. :D
Interesting thing:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

32Bitter

Post by 32Bitter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 am

I very recently got something free with Coco Pops. It is a crocodile clipper thing designed to close the cereal packet... I would have preffered the extra cereal TBH.
Don't think!....Feel!.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Ha, I got one of those too. It's sealing a bag of soda crystals at the moment.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Toys, huh? You guys and your poor, poor, non-amazing childhood. See, when I was a kid, you could find THIS thing in boxes of Chex cereal:

"Hey," you might be saying to yourself. "That looks a lot like Doom!" That, dear friend, is because it IS Doom. Well, technically. It's a total conversion of Doom, keeping the same engine while replacing all the graphics and sound, turning it into a mostly non-violent adventure about shooting slime aliens. It actually plays pretty well, considering it's basically Doom. It's a lot easier, unless you're playing on Ultra-Vi -- I'm sorry, Super Slimy, but still.

Even better, it's been remade by the original designer for modern operating systems, including two brand new episodes!

I also remember getting a game with Captain Crunch cereal. That game, however, was just some weird pet simulator/collection of minigames, and is best left ignored.

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Sugar Puffs sticker kits from the late 80s. Just little books of stickers but I remember asking for Sugar Puffs, even though I didn't like them much, just to get them.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:48 am

They were not all outside the cereal bag or in a protective packet, I remember when Kellogs did Black Cauldron plastic figures and they would drop out in your bowl. One fell out during breakfast on a cub scout camping trip in my bowl, I remember the cereal being passed round and everyone been hopefully they would be the lucky one for it to drop out.

Did anyone here ever join the Frosties club? I remember getting a poster, certificate, toy car (pontiac) and a card with with a moving image on, saying I was a Secret Member and would uphold the secret code, kept it in my wallet for years as a bit of talking point/joke. Then some gimp broke into the staff clock room where I worked and stole everyones wallets/purses from and it was lost forever, I couldn't have given a monkeys about the other stuff in my wallet, but gutted that card was stolen.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 am

bensonrad wrote: Did anyone here ever join the Frosties club? I remember getting a poster, certificate, toy car (pontiac) and a card with with a moving image on, saying I was a Secret Member and would uphold the secret code, kept it in my wallet for years as a bit of talking point/joke. Then some gimp broke into the staff clock room where I worked and stole everyones wallets/purses from and it was lost forever, I couldn't have given a monkeys about the other stuff in my wallet, but gutted that card was stolen.
Yes! I had the Pontiac!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:00 pm

I still have the certificate, magazine/poster etc in its original envelope, I was so excited when it arrived. I later got a little jeep from them too.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:38 pm

I had various bits and pieces from cereals but in terms of crisps, I spent AGES getting ahold the complete collection of Star Wars Tazos or whatever they were - still have the lot somewhere in the book that was made for them. I think we got ahold of all the normal looney tunes tazos as well as all the second wave of "world tour" jobbies they did. Had them in the Tazo folder we sent off for lmao!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

shmuk

Post by shmuk » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 am

I remember some cereals were packaged with advergames to help stuff the cereal brand even further into our skull. However my family had a mac so we couldn't run them. Take THAT, cereal giants!
- Shmuk Lidooha

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:32 am

RetroMartin wrote:I had various bits and pieces from cereals but in terms of crisps, I spent AGES getting ahold the complete collection of Star Wars Tazos or whatever they were - still have the lot somewhere in the book that was made for them. I think we got ahold of all the normal looney tunes tazos as well as all the second wave of "world tour" jobbies they did. Had them in the Tazo folder we sent off for lmao!
Still got all those, and I think I'm up to THREE whole sets of the Star Wars ones now - as more and more of my friends and family got bored of pog-type things, I ended up inheriting the lot!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:24 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:I had various bits and pieces from cereals but in terms of crisps, I spent AGES getting ahold the complete collection of Star Wars Tazos or whatever they were - still have the lot somewhere in the book that was made for them. I think we got ahold of all the normal looney tunes tazos as well as all the second wave of "world tour" jobbies they did. Had them in the Tazo folder we sent off for lmao!
Still got all those, and I think I'm up to THREE whole sets of the Star Wars ones now - as more and more of my friends and family got bored of pog-type things, I ended up inheriting the lot!
I have a whole set in the binder too but they're apparently utterly worthless. I also have the whole set of the first Looney Tunes Tazos in the binder and a complete set of those Cubix/Qubix Looney Tunes things (sans the folder which was crap anyway and got binned).

The thing that p1ssed me off with the Star Wars Tazos back in the day was that there were quite a few exclusive to Doritos which my parents refused to buy! I got lucky though: for some bizarre reason, my Dad reported the local shop to Walkers (!) for opening up multipacks and binning the Tazos, making them impossible to get. Walkers kindly sent out all the ones I was still missing! No idea why my Dad reported a shop to Walkers and I have no idea why they sent all those damn Tazos out but I'm glad they did :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:05 pm

I had to eat a LOT of Doritos to finish it, and I wasn't a huge Dorito fan, but we had them all several times over back in the day! I'm sure they're all up in my folks attic nowadays!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:55 am

Hitman_HalStep wrote:i had a few of these,anyone else?
And also Spokey-Dokeys, the little balls that slid up and down your spokes with a clatter as you pedalled... until you had so many they didn't move anymore.

I remember, and pretty sure STILL HAVE:

Frosties Water Games (push the red button to shoot the hoops around to try and get them on the spoon, also one where you have to get the "flakes" into the cereal packet)
Frosties Vinyl Records - Thunderbirds Pressure Mix by MC Parker, Get (Before the Night is Over) by Technotronic, Spin That Wheel (Turtles Get Real) with Ya Kid K, and probably a couple of others.
Ricicles "floppy" vinyl record - a Noddy story! Always raised a giggle with the line "Mr Plod caught that naughty little monkey and SPANKED him!". Also features the "We All Like Ricicles, They're Twice-icles as Nice-icles" song.
Frosties "Real Ghostbusters" Glow-in-the-dark Throwing Stars - Cardboard things you sat on the top of your hand and then flicked with your finger to make them spin... pretty dangerous things really!
Shreddies "A Team" mini-comics - I remember the picture of the suited crow on the back showing you were to tear to open the comic up.

I'm sure there's more, like those animated animal cards, you know, you tilt them and you see a different image... sure they were given away with Kellog's cereals.
ImageImage