Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Re: Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

Post by joefish » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:30 pm

I can't remember exactly what animals they were, but they were a typical selection of zoo animals. One was a lioness or puma or something, another a mandrill and I seem to remember a rather fiddly zebra as the head was quite narrow.

Here's at least one to try now:
http://tubbypaws.blogspot.co.uk/2008/03 ... lcats.html

lee gray

Post by lee gray » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:34 am

Cereals are boring now, although some boxes of coco pops recently had a crocodile shaped bag sealer inside, not that much fun.

I use to love the dr who cards that came with weetibix and the football cards that came in shredded wheat that when you tilted them the picture changed.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:18 am

I know its an old thread but , when i was a kid i used to collect the Thunderbirds toys that were given away free inside rice crispies or cornflakes.
Still have a couple somewhere.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:41 am

I'm going to break cover on one of my sadly all too rare forays back into the world of Retro Gamer and have a rant...

Crackerjacks. The name might mean absolutely nothing to many especially in the UK but when I was much, much younger we spent a few years living in the US and these caramel coated lumps of popcorn were a firm favourite (or maybe favorite) as not only did they taste great but you got a toy in every pack. Okay, they were often on par with some of the things you might find in a box of Poundland Christmas crackers but some like the soldiers and mini pinball games were really cool to a seven year old.

Recently however, my family over in the states sent me a pack in a retro themed 'stuff I used to like gift'. Imagine the shock when I discovered the cheap plastic toys have been replaced with cheap paper gifts and stickers. Talk about the ruination of childhood... compounded by the fact that what I got was a Baltimore Orioles sticker. Baltimore #$%&?*= Orioles!!!! Oh how the mighty have fallen in terms of the quality of the tat they put out. I'm just happy to have a biscuit tin full of memories and cheap plastic that I can show the nephews and nieces and ramble on how back in the day we got proper mass produced tat in our unhealthy snack products.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:46 pm

I do know them, more from popping up in vintage collections though.
Watching you sleep since 1990

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Spokey dokeys from Frosties and the reflective cockerels from Corn Flakes. They are still on my brother's bike which is at my parent's house.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:33 am

I got a Happy feet cuddly toy free attached to a box of washing powder a few years ago, does that count?
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

keedor

Post by keedor » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:17 pm

I remember collecting the Star Wars Tazos in packets of Walkers crisps during the late 1990's, when the original series of films was given a makeover. There was also cardboard folder to put them in.

Often people would start picking up several packets of crisps and feel them to see if there was a Tazo inside before purchase!

acidbottle

Post by acidbottle » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:40 am

Wish Kelloggs would bring back Banana Bubbles, sorts of a banana version of coco pops, totally awesome they were!

Every other cereal on the shelf now is choco this and granola that. Rather eat factory floor sweepings.

I do remember freebies in crisps and cereal, they must have been utterly garbage as I don't remember any of them. I do remember free action force figures (GI Joe to our overseas friends) on a 50p comic though, ended up buying the entire shops worth as they were about 4 or 5 pounds to buy normally. Best free gifts ever!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:58 am

acidbottle wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:40 am
Wish Kelloggs would bring back Banana Bubbles, sorts of a banana version of coco pops, totally awesome they were!
I remember those, I bugged my mum for them and ate about 2 mouthfuls as they just tasted so wrong but then I was the wierd kid who preferred the nutty museli/Granola stuff bar Sugar Puffs and Lucky Charms which were sacred when I got them.
Watching you sleep since 1990