Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 am

...whatever happened to them? As a kid in the nineties, I remember every cereal coming packed with some sort of collectable figurine or toy and when one promotion ended, another started up straight away. Later on it was free books or CD's (can't remember what was on them though). Whether it was toy wrestlers, stickers, pencil-toppers or whatever, it made eating cereal a lot more exciting.

Same with crisps; I'm sure everybody remembers the Star Wars and Looney Tunes Tazos or the Pokemon coins/hologram discs. There were those square 'Qubix' things from Looney Tunes as well which I had a full set of. Finally, I remember you could randomly find £5/£10/£20 notes in Walkers crisps or get a token for another free packet. Good times!

I also remember the various Hula Hoops competitions where if you found a square or twisted 'hoop' in your packet then you won a load of money.

Today all it seems to be is 'text this code to us and you might win some free mobile credit'...wow, how exciting :roll: . I'm surprised free stuff isn't still included because it would encourage sales from kids where crisps are concerned and on the cereal front, wouldn't it encourage kids to eat healthy cereal rather than stuffing a Mars Bar down their neck before school?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Re: Free stuff in cereals and crisps...

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:05 am

Megamixer wrote:I'm surprised free stuff isn't still included because it would encourage sales from kids where crisps are concerned and on the cereal front, wouldn't it encourage kids to eat healthy cereal rather than stuffing a Mars Bar down their neck before school?
Great idea, except that most cereals that kids like are no better than the Mars Bar nutritionally. Slammed full of sugar, preservatives and other cool stuff.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:08 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I'm surprised free stuff isn't still included because it would encourage sales from kids where crisps are concerned and on the cereal front, wouldn't it encourage kids to eat healthy cereal rather than stuffing a Mars Bar down their neck before school?
Great idea, except that most cereals that kids like are no better than the Mars Bar nutritionally. Slammed full of sugar, preservatives and other cool stuff.
True enough. Perhaps shove collectable toys in Bran Flakes then? :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:11 am

Megamixer wrote:Later on it was free books or CD's (can't remember what was on them though).
i worked on a couple of cd-roms that were put into them - Art Attack was one:

And Horrible Histories another:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:24 am

Megamixer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
True enough. Perhaps shove collectable toys in Bran Flakes then? :lol:
They'd have to be toys you could play with on the toilet.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 am

I raised this subject on another forum a while back, and I believe the general response was that they became banned, when a few kids inadvertantly choked on the toys. LOL. How can you choke on them when they were always in a separate bag? Unless of course, there was a packaging fault, and a few slipped through without being separately packed in the cereal bag.

But even if so, why stop the likes of stickers, football cards etc?

My favourite cereal goodies would have to be the flashing bicycle spokes, which I'm sure everyone loved, as well as the the glow in the dark Casper The Movie stickers which were released with Cornflakes to coincide with the 1993 film, which I loved as a child. Still do actually. :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:56 am

thingonaspring wrote:i worked on a couple of cd-roms that were put into them - Art Attack was one:
Being geeky what did you write them in ? Was that a few years ago ? Was it Flash or Director or something much more advanced?

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 am

:lol: It was Director/Lingo. Whilst Director was ahead of Flash in most ways.
and quite possibly when Lingo looked like this (can't remember when they introduced dot syntax now!):

Code: Select all

put (the text of member "name" & ".")into word 2 of line 1 of member "display"
set the visible of sprite 13 to FALSE
As for the dates, I'll have a look, but yes, before I moved companies (which was 5 years ago now).

Art Attack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9WLMtw8KEM (2006)
Horrible Histories:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0NfP2Yt2Bw (2007)

so would probably have finished them 2005/2006 respectively.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:56 am

I got an atlas from Weetabix(you had to collect the tokens and send off for it).

I got Thunderbird 2 from Kellog's Crunchy Nut Cornflakes. Again with collecting tokens and so on.

I also got a small miniature Ferris Wheel from Weetos. Actually inside the packet of cereal.

Cool retro stuff. I don't think it happens so much now.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:16 am

Shrinky Dinks.

Those submarine/diver toys that worked on baking soda.

Board games on the inside of the packet.

Sending off tokens for a Corn Flakes bowl and having it smashed by a clumsy brother.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:41 am

Sort-of on-topic - I can remember when, at some point in the mid 90s, Tetley gave away free Roald Dahl books with every box of teabags. Books that were actually sellotaped to the box! Great reading! I think I got my Mum to buy the family about 5,000 teabags.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:08 pm

samhain81 wrote:I raised this subject on another forum a while back, and I believe the general response was that they became banned, when a few kids inadvertantly choked on the toys.
That sounds suspiciously like urban myth to me.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 pm

i remember a few of these.i had some with stickers and had one of those baking soda toys merman mentions.i was also once shown a cereal box with a pied piper cartoon on the back and thought nothing of it until it was pointed out that in one of the images he had more than his pipe out,the story goes that the artist did it for a bet,once it was noticed every box was recalled.

i've searched for an image of it online a few times now to stick in the amusing picture thread to see how long it took someone to notice but couldn't find it.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:11 pm

I've still got quite a few of the Dr Who cardboard stand-up figures that came with Weetabix back when I was a kid (an awfully long time ago). I once had a full set of the first issue figures but I stored them badly and several became damaged. They were never really in perfect condition because I actually played with them a lot. My mam was poor and I didn't have many toys and stuff until I landed a job delivering milk so getting things like these for free seemed entirely wonderful to me. I've never been able to part with them because of that really. I keep them in a box of my past things along with a few Top Trumps decks and all the little cards my gran collected for me from packets of tea.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:04 pm

In the early 80s I got a free elastic powered spud gun from a box of cereals - cant member which ones but I did eat shreddies by the bucket load at the time. Still do - great hang over comfort food with tonnes of full fat milk and half a bag of sugar.
Took the spud gun to Skool, waited for double maths, carefully loaded it with chewed up pencil eraser and spittle; stood, turned, and shot from the hip in my best 007 opening credits impression.
Hit my mate full in face - still remember the look of stunned suprise on his face, rubber bits stuck all over his mug. Good spread pattern - like a sawn off shoty.
It was was confiscated and I was sent to head of year - he called me a 'bloody little psychopath' and clipped me round the ear ---- aaahhhhhh those were the days.
Kids use real guns these days.
@merman omg Shrinky Dinks - used to love them and collected a set of cartoon ones, remember my dad burnt his hand making a road runner one for me after he had a few too many shandys' after a Sunday lunch.
Those were the days - free toys that kids could burn the house down with.
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.