Retro Toys

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Retro Toys

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:33 pm

Thought I'd start a thread on fave retro toys.

I never had any of these but have recently collected them off of eBay to make up for a deprived childhood:

Tomy OMNIBOT
MB Bigtrak + Transporter
MB Starbird

I'm after an Omnibot 2000 but proves to be very expensive. Keep trawlin car boot sales I spose!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:59 pm

Massive yellow Tonka crane
Matchbox cars
Action Force figures and vehicles
Army figures, particularly Brittains metal soldiers

...and they said playing with those violent toys would warp and twist my mind. NEVER! Wibble.

*tightens straightjacket*

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:19 am

Still have my Starbird! 8)

I was into all the Star Wars stuff and still have a lot of the ships and figures. In fact, all my figures are store in my Rebel Transport ship... 8)

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:45 am

andy vaisey wrote:Still have my Starbird! 8)

I was into all the Star Wars stuff and still have a lot of the ships and figures. In fact, all my figures are store in my Rebel Transport ship... 8)
Mine are stored in my AT-AT :D

I used to love the small battery operated 4 x 4s(monster trucks), used to cost about a fiver each. My friends and I used to setup assault courses and race our trucks over them.

James Bond Corgi Cars.

The(Adam West) Batmobile that fired red rockets, and had the axe type thing flick out of the bonnet.

Evil Knievel Stunt bikes I had a chopper, the one that looked like a spaceship and a normal bike(yes I was spoilt :? )

Action Man parachutes-Why did they never work? (and Mr Frosty)

The original Stretch Armstrong, none of this Mr Fantastic rubbish.

Simon and Merlin electronic games.

Paul Daniels Magic Sets.

I think I better stop now, before I convince myself it would be a good idea to go round my parents house and raid the loft for my old toys !

James A

Post by James A » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:59 am

Transformers and Star Wars. Can't get any better then those two. I've still got all of them from when was a kid. I was quite lucky to pick up a massive load of Transformers for £10 a couple of months ago, which brought back some very fond memories of being a kid.

Also alot of the early Games Workshop stuff was horribly expensive but good to have.

kavsy

Post by kavsy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:49 am

I had a Raleigh Burner,red and yellow(man it looked good),and i always wanted a grifter,or a tomahawk

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:39 pm

Off the extreme top of my head...

Green Tonka Truck & Trailer (that turned into a mini-caravan)
Evil Knievel
Million Dollar Man
Lego (by the bucketful)
Action Man & assorted jeeps, boats, scuba gear
Grandstand Scramble
Parker Bros Merlin
Corgi & Matchbox cars by the caseful

Impossible to think of just one favourite toy, as they all had their moments. :D

Wil

Post by Wil » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:15 pm

Major Matt Mason
Zeroids
Micronauts

I just never grew up!

Bounce

Post by Bounce » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:40 pm

Evil Knievel stunt bike,boy that brings back memories.I remember making my little sister lie down so that i could send the bike flying over her face with a makshift ramp......................she still has the scare on her head.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:20 am

Coming from the family I did I was a completely military obsessed child so had loads of Airfix soldiers, Timpo cowboys and Britains Knights and loads of accessories to go with them (tanks, planes, castles...) as well as enough toy guns/swords/axes/bows to equip a small army. Luckily my mates were equally military obsessed so the guns were frequently used in large scale battles held either in the local churchyard or round the back of the NCOs married quarters.

Naturally I also had several Action Men and many uniforms for them including the slightly dubious 'Nazi Stormtrooper' so that my British Commando had someone to fight :)

Lego was another mainstay of my toy collection but was used mainly to build forts and bunkers for my HO/OO scale soldiers. When I later got a set of spacemen it was used to create futuristic hydroplane skimmers for battles on a distant water planet.

I had the Batmobile with cutting blade and firing rockets. Health and Safety would have fits at this nowadays :)

Another thing I seemed to have loads of were Matchbox, Hotwheels, Dinky and Corgi cars. Not quite sure how I got so many of those.

The one thing I did hanker after was a SHADO interceptor from the TV series UFO. My mate was going to get me one for my birthday but his parents and mine conspired and I ended up with a model of the Queens limo with Her Majesty in the back. It ended up being attacked by terrorists (Airfix Afrika Korps infantry)on a mountain (the top landing) and before the plucky special forces (Airfix British Commandos) could get to it had plunged over the edge and exploded. I think my folks got the hint because I got the interceptor for Christmas that year.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:24 am

Lego, best toy ever fact, especially Classic Space (the blue and grey stuff) and Technic

Star Wars, cant believe I carbooted most of my figures. Still have an AT-AT and AT-ST tho.

Transformers, but only the orginal Autobots and Decepticon planes. The cassette player and dinosaw ones were gash.

forestville

Post by forestville » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:31 pm

from the 1980s i had

transformers
star wars toys
he man and the masters of the universe
terrahawks action figures
zoids (the model kits inc a wind up motor)
loads of lego
8)
Press play on tape

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:38 pm

What about Tamiya ? Never owned anything by them, but I read their bloody catalogues over & over. :lol:

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:07 pm

I forgot about Zoids. How could they go wrong with them combining every boys favourite things Dinosaurs and robots.

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:51 pm

A few that I can remember that have not yet been included:

-Rough Riders. Small motorised 4x4 jeeps that took a single AA battery and would hurtle off at a depressingly slow speed. They had WORKING headlights! As they had large wheels, one could have endless hours of fun making obstacle courses with books and other hazards to try and foil it.

-Super Naturals. As I recall, these were rather limited 'action' figures with the gimmick being holograms on the front, hence the slightly ghostly name.

-Whizzers. I may have the name wrong. These spinning tops had to be 'revved up' along the floor to start a small gyroscope mechanism inside. The whizzer, due to the weighting, could then be made to do some astonishing feats (I had no knowledge of physics at this time!) like spinning on the end of a pen or moving along a tightrope.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.