'retro' films you think people should see...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

crusto

Re: 'retro' films you think people should see...

Post by crusto » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:40 pm

1. The Thief of Baghdad, made in te 30's or 40's iirc. Great film with some brilliant effects for the time, Sabu puts in a good performance and the genie is awesome, have loads of memories of watching this as a child.

2. The Goonies, One of the greatest films ever made, if you haven't seen this then you haven't lived. Chunk is a legend!

3. Wizard of Oz. Another fantastic film with superb effects, considering it was made in the 30's.

4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. IMO the best Indy film of the bunch, short round was excellent and Kate Capshaw played her part brilliantly. Mola Ramm was bad ass!

5. Star Wars, no retro film list would be complete if it didn't contain Star Wars.

Edit: an honourable mention must go to Toy Soldiers, thoroughly entertaining.

Eat your nans pants

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:54 am

crusto wrote: an honourable mention must go to Toy Soldiers, thoroughly entertaining.
I'd have to agree with this as well. Die Hard in a prep school, and has Andrew Divoff as probably one of the most evil Mr Big's I've ever seen. I remember the first time I saw this, and it blew my mind. Top draw stuff, and for a fiver or under for the dvd, it's worth picking up.

I want to add Ice Pirates (unless I've done it already, in which case it's worth mentioning again because it's that good), mainly for the funny gags and the Time Warp sequence.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:57 pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned Flash Gordon yet. A truly amazing early 80's cheese fest with a fantastic sound track. "Gordon's Alive???"

And I forgot about lost boys, great film. RIP Corey Haim.

Eat your nans pants

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:52 am

JetSetWilly wrote: I want to add Ice Pirates (unless I've done it already, in which case it's worth mentioning again because it's that good), mainly for the funny gags and the Time Warp sequence.
You may mention Ice Pirates, but I got that one in the first reply to the original question :P

Cracking film though.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:43 pm

A few more :-

The Conversation A superb thriller with Gene Hackman. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola(the Godfather and in his pre-Jack days).

Fanny and Alexander A touching family drama by Ingmar Bergman. Probably his last great work.

The Long Good Friday A great British gangster film. Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren are great. As are the supporting roles. The soundtrack by Francis Monkman(he of 'Curved Air' fame).

Westworld Jurassic Park - but with robots and cowboys. Directed by Michael Crichton.

Bad Day at Black Rock Old fashioned style Western, but without cowboys and Indians. Spencer Tracy arrives in town as a one-armed war hero trying to deliver a medal to a Japanese farmer. He stirs up trouble along the way.