'retro' films you think people should see...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

joefish

Re: 'retro' films you think people should see...

Post by joefish » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Add Patch Adams to that list.
And Bicentennial Man.
And Toys.
He really has been in some truly apocalyptically abysmal films.
I find Toys to be quite watchable, though it is something of a melancholy 'adieu' to childhood. It reminds me of some old made-for-TV toyland styled movie I only vaguely remember from my childhood and have been unable to trace.
Bicentennial Man was an interesting idea, and could almost get away without being depressing if it didn't just go on and on and on. The one that particularly bugs me is Mrs Doubtfire - it could have been one of those comedies where you can forgive the otherwise odd or creepy premise for the slapstick and witty dialogue, but no, it had to turn into an excruciating study of tragic personality collapse. I don't think I've been able to sit through many of his other films (apart from the end-to-end screwed up Garp). I only started watching What Dreams May Come because I'd heard about the effects, and only watched the rest out of a morbid curiosity to see how revolting it could get. I don't think I slept that night.
Last edited by joefish on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Robin Williams for many, many years had lead roles in a large number of absolute gooey-eyed, simpering, sentamental crap of the highest order. Pity, cos the man was a laugh a second dynamo in his stand-up days and still got laughs in interviews even while making dross like Bicentenial man and Jack.

His attempt at darker roles like One Hour Photo, Insomnia etc fell flat on their arse too.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Good point - I forgot about Good Morning Vietnam - that he could transplant himself to another decade and improvise topical stand-up gags was just genius. If anyone can name any other films of his that worked so well I'd love to see them.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:07 pm

I thought One Hour Photo worked pretty well for what it was.

He's been in a lot of dross, but he's been paid a hell of a lot for it. Can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing.

Bicentennial Man is a bit of a let down as the book is rather good, but the movie is so twee it removes all other thoughts.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Has anyone mentioned 'The Burbs?

Excellent film for so many reasons.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:13 pm

As for really bad Robin Williams' films, avoid 'Jack' at all costs! Truly terrible! What is even worse, is the fact that it was directed by Francis Ford Coppola(he of 'The Godfather' and 'Apocalypse Now' fame).

I suppose he made up for it, by being pretty good in 'Good Will Hunting' and also as the bad guy in 'Insomnia'(the re-make directed by Chris Nolan).

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I suppose he made up for it, by being pretty good in 'Good Will Hunting'...
He was good; the rest of the film suffered from that cult-of-Miramax creepiness and actor smugness. I haven't seen it in a while but I think I prefer With Honors. I'm not sure to what extent Brendan Fraser is preferable to Matt Damon but the Madonna tracks are good, and if Robin Williams had been in it it might have been great. I think between those two and The Fisher King the makings of one good film got spread into three fairly average and forgettable ones.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:43 am

While we're recommending Robin Willams films, let me add Moscow on the Hudson to the list. Probably one of his best dramatic performances.

On the other end of the spectrum is The Birdcage. I'm not sure Williams adds a lot to the cast, but that's probably because Nathan Lane and Hank Azaria steal the show.

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:52 pm

AceGrace wrote:Has anyone mentioned 'The Burbs?

Excellent film for so many reasons.
Great film! so many good bits but for me the bit that always sticks in my head is the note scene
" could be anything, could be litter, they could be litterbugs....no, it's my note"
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Some film suggestions that I've enjoyed over the years...

Let it Ride - (1990) A horse gambling comedy starring Richard Dreyfus.

To Live & Die In LA - 1985 Think Miami Vice meets the French Connection.

Missing - 1981 Political thriller based on a true story of a young american writer.

Blind Date - 1987 Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger star in this zany comedy.

The Black Hole -1980 Disney's attempt to cash in on the Star Wars phenomena ain't too bad. A prequal would make a really fantastic film.

House Party - 1990 Reginald Hudsons comedy about a teenage kid organising a house party. Essential viewing for anyone wanting to organise one.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Let's see.....
The Hidden (1987)
The Good ,the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Cheech and Chong's Next Movie (1980)
The Right Stuff (1983)

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Channel 5 are good for retro films - Krull is currently airing, followed by Clash of the Titans (the 1981 RADA+Harryhausen one)

And GOD was Krull cheesy!

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:42 pm

heh, I caught Krull yesterday morning when I got up to have brekkie. Planned on watching CotT too but nodded off and then the PS3 started calling me in the other room…

I used to get the Star Wars Comic when I was a nipper - The British size 'beano' format one. I got it religiously from a local newsie who used to write my name on the top. But there was always a comic at the back of it that was unrelated to start wars. There was James bond in a few, Power Pack for a while, one about two brothers in some spacey/fantasy setting that I completely forget the name of, and for a while there was a Krull strip in it. I remember seeing on the telly shortly after, probably on some movie show, a behind the scenes look at this movie and was surprised/excited to see that there was a film to accompany this comic. I never caught the name of it, time passed until I was up late one night in my teens and caught Krull. For the first time and finally made the connection between everything. I have to say I was slightly disappointed I never got to catch it as a little fella cos I would have though it was the absolute bees knees back then when anything ripping off Star Wars and/or Featured Lazers and Monsters was sure to appeal to me.

Rubberkeys

Post by Rubberkeys » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:01 pm

Don't know if these great films have been mentioned -

TeenWolf
The Boy Who Could Fly
The Invisible Kid
Wierd Science
Teen Agent
Ferris Beullers Day Off

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I thought One Hour Photo worked pretty well for what it was.

I like that as well. Father of the Year is supposed to be very good, and is on my list to watch. Much like Nicholas Cage, there is very little middle ground in Robin Williams films - they're either great or terrible