'retro' films you think people should see...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

scunny

Re: 'retro' films you think people should see...

Post by scunny » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:27 am

These are must see... or must re-see!

cat's eye (1985) - film based on Stephen King film, a few short stories linked together by a cat trying to get to a very young Drew Barrymore and save her from a goblin. Great stories, brilliant ending.

secret of my success (1987) - michael j fox gets bored of the mail room and assumes identity of executive up and comer for his uncle's company. Great 80s movie that makes you feel good.

King of comedy (1983)- candidate for best De Niro and Scorcese film. Funny and tragic and a simply brilliant performance by De Niro as wannabe comic host Rupert Pupkin.

Salem's Lot (1979) - TV Miniseries that terrified me back as a kid, Had me and my siblings making crucifixes all night and many a jolly jape scratching on windows when someone was asleep.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - Brilliant, creepy, bleak, paranoia filled classic. Some great scenes and great turns by Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum and Mr Spock.
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:19 am

scunny wrote: cat's eye (1985) - film based on Stephen King film, a few short stories linked together by a cat trying to get to a very young Drew Barrymore and save her from a goblin. Great stories, brilliant ending.
I was 7 or 8 years old last time I saw that film, but I STILL remember that climax! Crazy stuff :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

scunny

Post by scunny » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
scunny wrote: cat's eye (1985) - film based on Stephen King film, a few short stories linked together by a cat trying to get to a very young Drew Barrymore and save her from a goblin. Great stories, brilliant ending.
I was 7 or 8 years old last time I saw that film, but I STILL remember that climax! Crazy stuff :D
Get 'im General! Get 'im!
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 am

scunny wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Get 'im General! Get 'im!
For a few years after seeing it, I made sure to stay away from the record needle...
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:08 pm

The King of Comedy is a really great movie. One of DeNiro's best for sure. I really must watch it again soon.

I'm bored so here are some more…

Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)
First of Herzog's movies with the utterly insane Klaus Kinski. Possibly one of the best opening shots to a movie ever, plus an incredible Popol Vuh score. About a bunch of Conquistadores traveling down the Amazon in search of Eldorado. Apparently a big influence on Apocalypse now. Also some of the stories about Herzog and Kinski's on-set bust-ups are legendary. See also: Fitzcarraldo (1982) Same Director and Lead.

Holy Mountain (1973)
Both an absolute headfu*k of a movie, and also prime Sunday afternoon viewing. Surreal, mind-expanding, Iconic, utterly bonkers in places but highly watchable at the same time. See also: El Topo (1970) - Jodorowsky's even more mind bending Western.

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1963)
‪José Mojica Marins‬' first Coffin joe movie. Really low budget Brazilian B&W horror from the very early 60's. Obviously not for everyone, but uses the small budget well enough.

Ran (1985)
Akira Kurosawa's last epic. Based around the plot of King Lear. Amazing Sets, Use of Colour, Visuals.

Alucarda (1978)
Contains loads of screaming, I mean loads of screaming. Plenty of blood and loads nudity also. Total trashy 70's satanic flick, but is saved mainly by the really vivid, weird sets & costumes… and of course all the nudity. It also quite obviously influenced by Ken Russel's The Devils. (which is also well worth a mention)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:54 pm

ootini wrote: I'm bored so here are some more…

Ran (1985)
Akira Kurosawa's last epic. Based around the plot of King Lear. Amazing Sets, Use of Colour, Visuals.
Good shout on 'Ran', ootini. That is a favourite of mine. One of the best films of the 1980s and also one of Kurosawa's best as well.

skinny

Post by skinny » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Some great shouts in this thread already, notably Forbidden Planet, Sleuth and Salem's Lot.

I have to add 'The Wicker Man' 1973 with Edward Woodward. (Don't even mention the Cage 'remake') Saw it for the first time while working a nightshift in the early nineties and was stunned. The director's cut, which restored the full story, is essential viewing for anyone who enjoys film. The ending is still shocking and Christopher Lee calls it 'the best scripted film he's ever worked on'.

Yes it's twee and some of the accents are a bit dodgy, but it's 100% cult classic. And no, it's quite obviously not Britt's bottom...

Probably not old enough to be 'retro' yet, but 'Falling Down' is an excellent film and the first time I enjoyed a Michael Douglas film.

Some of the 1980s 'brat-pack' films are pretty good examples of the time: Catholic Boys (Heaven Help Us), Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, St Elmo's Fire. Films that are so 'of their time' that they couldn't be made now.

Kentucky Fried Movie is great for pre-Airplane Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker comedy.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Only watch St Elmos Fire if you don't have easy access to drugs, ropes or razor blades. Seriously the most depressing film ever made. :(

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Leviathan
The Blob (remake)
Deep Star Six
Arena
Robot Jox
The Wizard of Speed and Time

and easily 1 meeeeeellion others I could list

edit:

The Lost Boys (my actual fave film of all time)
Watchers
Silver Bullet

Corey Hair, I mean Haim FTW!

edit edit

and censored CHUD! You MUST watch CHUD! Watch the trailer.....they must have had a competition for how many times you could say CHUD in a trailer! ace.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:49 pm

theantmeister wrote:Only watch St Elmos Fire if you don't have easy access to drugs, ropes or razor blades. Seriously the most depressing film ever made. :(
Something tells me you've never seen Robin Williams in What Dreams May Come.
I mean, just about all of his films are ludicrously depressing, but to make one about some bass-ackwards repercussions in the afterlife of someone topping themselves just takes the biscuit, even by his standards. And that's even without the miserable isolationism they try to pass of as a 'happy' ending.

Though to its credit, it's so miserable it could put would-be leapers right off the idea, so could well have saved a few lives along the way... :lol:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:59 pm

joefish wrote:
theantmeister wrote:Only watch St Elmos Fire if you don't have easy access to drugs, ropes or razor blades. Seriously the most depressing film ever made. :(
I mean, just about all of his films are suicidally depressing, but to make one about the repercussions of suicide in the afterlife just takes the biscuit, even by his standards. And that's even without the miserable isolationism they try to pass of as a 'happy' ending.
Yeah. It is odd how no-one remembers he did that film. It is visually stunning and really moving.

Mind you, Jack makes me want to kill myself for entirely different reasons :P

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Brat pack stuff is awful (imo), unless you are a girl......and a girl with big 80's hair, shoulder pads and a hankering for coke.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:47 pm

koopa42 wrote: The Lost Boys (my actual fave film of all time)
Saw that for the first time a few weeks ago, a lot more fun than I was expecting! Before then I was thinking it'd be one of those things that goth kids say they like whether they've seen it or not... But then that doesn't really imply a good or bad thing, so didn't really know what to expect.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:01 pm

skinny wrote:Some of the 1980s 'brat-pack' films are pretty good examples of the time: Catholic Boys (Heaven Help Us), Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, St Elmo's Fire. Films that are so 'of their time' that they couldn't be made now.
Best retro film that isn't a "brat-pack" film but features a brat-pack: Red Dawn.

I'd also like to throw in Emperor Of The North starring Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine as an addition to the overall thread topic. Watched it a couple of days ago. Very good indeed.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:53 pm

theantmeister wrote:
joefish wrote:
I mean, just about all of his films are suicidally depressing, but to make one about the repercussions of suicide in the afterlife just takes the biscuit, even by his standards. And that's even without the miserable isolationism they try to pass of as a 'happy' ending.
Yeah. It is odd how no-one remembers he did that film. It is visually stunning and really moving.

Mind you, Jack makes me want to kill myself for entirely different reasons :P
Add Patch Adams to that list.

And Bicentennial Man.

And Toys.

He really has been in some truly apocalyptically abysmal films.