'retro' films you think people should see...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

paranoid marvin

Re: 'retro' films you think people should see...

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Obviosuly tons of old films i love like Terminator, Highlander, Star Wars, Superman II and III , Escape from NY, etc etc, but 5 films that some may not have heard of

The Wanderers Pricks with ears or ears without pricks? Either way..RUN!!

The Warriors Reminds me very much of the movie version of Renegade

The Last Starfighter A good alternative to BBTS. How many of us young videogamers didn't wish it was us?

Salute of the Jugger My favouritest movie of all time. Just watch it!

The Game Very clever, this. Keeps you guessing til the end. PS if you love this film , then try to see the (kind of) tv version The One Game
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:04 pm

The Beans wrote: I think you should all watch The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai: Across The 8th Dimension, it's quite mental.
What's that melon for?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Singin' in the Rain - just for Gene Kelly really, amazing.

2001: A Space Odyssey - pretty much a perfect film(apart from the monkey suits...)

Dark Star - for the claustrophobic and desolate feeling in the crew cabins, and a pretty seminal space film.

Eraserhead - probably the most haunting and genuinely disturbing film for me - a trip right into the dark places we choose not to look at too closely.

Spinal Tap - mime is money.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Jacob's Ladder
Serpico
Hellraiser
Rambo
The Godfather
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:54 pm

Ah, Jacob's Ladder is excellent. Not too keen on Hellraiser exactly (sadly the fourth one had the best ideas but some of the worst acting and editing) but the original Candyman is pretty good for twisting between the real and supernatural aspects of a string of murders.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:31 pm

[quote="joefish"What I find astonishing is that you can't get Battle Beyond the Stars on DVD anywhere in the UK! There's an R1 special edition with loads of extras in the US, but it's never had a UK DVD release. My copy is a German one via eBay (Sador - Herrscher im Weltraum, literally 'Sador - Lord of Space') which thankfully, by default, plays the original English language (mono) release with no subtitles.[/quote]

I paid £13 including postage for my R1 copy. The cover is a bit water damaged, but the disc is mint. One of my favorite films. It's a shame that we never got a proper release. Saying that, we'd probably get a release like the Westworld disc. Just the trailer and bugger all else. Can I ask, how much did yours cost, as I did see them going on ebay for upwards of £18 (but that was about 2 years ago).

I'd like to add to this lst:
The Towering Inferno. One of the better disaster movies from the 70's.
Fantastic Voyage, the film that inspired Innerspace. Groundbreaking SFX for the time, and they actually hold up to this day.
Escape From New York. Kurt Russell (and John Carpenter's) finest hour after The Thing.
.....and The Thing as well :D
Damnation Alley. It's a cracking post apocalyptic survival movie, but I'm not paying £20 for the privilege :shock:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm

The General (1926) - Probably Buster Keaton's finest film. Forget Chaplin, Keaton was the king of silent comedy. Any fan of Jackie Chan should appreciate Keaton's creative mix of humour and stunts.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977) - A mythological epic set in space. Ticks pretty much all the right filmaking boxes, infact I'd probably go as far as to call it a masterpiece.

The Princess Bride (1987) - Fun adventure comedy that all the family can appreciate. Features legends Andre The Giant and Peter Falk.... nuff said. 8)

The Untouchables (1987)- Elliot Ness vs Al Capone, in "the Chicago way". The gangster film for people who don't want to root for the gangsters.

Miracles (1989) - Jackie Chan's little known and under appreciated tribute classic Hollywood cinema. It's a 1930's gangster themed action-comedy, with great action (obviously), ground breaking production values (for Hong Kong at the time), a star studded cast and a heart warming story borrowed from Frank Capra.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

The Polar One

Post by The Polar One » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:27 am

Good calls on Vanishing Point, Destroy All Monsters, Star Crash, Watership Down, The Warriors, Eraserhead, The General.

Return of the Living Dead (1985) - My favourite zombie flick, fast, gorey, mucky, and with a decent punk soundtrack.

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973) - Classic bit of sword and sorcery and great stop motion effects.

Summer School (1987) - Ridiculously 80s high school comedy. If you like the genre it has something best described as retro.

Tremors (1990) - Big killer worms under the ground sounds stupid, yet somehow it's great.

The Haunting (1963) - Gives me the willies.

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:14 am

I'll sidestep the usual Hollywood blockbusters and throw in a couple of B-Movie curveballs. :D

>
>How to Make a Monster (2001)

Since this is a forum concerned with retro gaming, my first choice is perhaps rather apt!! May I heartily recommend the B-Movie (and much overlooked classic :) ) 'How to Make a Monster (2001)'. This really is a gem... 3 game programmers, a murderous motion capture suit and a locked building with no way out :!: Who dreams up this stuff!! If you haven't seen it, seek it out. :mrgreen:

Just remember though, it's obligatory for B-Movies to be more than a little bit naff - and this one doesn't disappoint on that score!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Mak ... 2001_film)

Here's a brief synopsis:
Synopsis wrote:
Evilution - Programmed For Damage!

What Started Out As a Simple Game... Became A Virtual Nightmare.

A software company is developing "Evilution," a new first-person computer game in need of a frightening, challenging villain. The company hires three antisocial computer geeks--Hardcore (Tyler Mane), Bug (Jason Marsden), and Sol (Karim Prince)--who work in an expansive, labyrinthine computer lab. A one million dollar bonus spurs on the competition between them, and intern Laura (Clea DuVall) and company rep Drummond (Steven Culp) referee the competition. One night, during a storm, lightning brings to life the motion capture suit used to program the game's movements. With characteristics of each of the programmers' creations driving it, the monster--believing it is playing the game--begins stalking the team around the lab.

>
>Earth vs. the Spider (2001)

From the same B-Movie strand I'll give an honourable mention to what is perhaps THE best Spider-Man rip-off of all time, 'Earth vs. the Spider (2001)'. Basically, this is a B-Movie that is best described as 'Spiderman' meets 'The Fly' (there's a joke in there somewhere ;) )... Oh and it has Dan Aykroyd in it. What more could you ask for :?:
Synopsis wrote:
Whacked Out on Spider-Man!

A comic book obsessed security guard gets the chance to live out his dreams when he's injected with radioactive spider serum. But instead of the superhero he sets out to become, he begins mutating into a bloodthirsty human-arachnid monster... and when bodies start piling up, his dream becomes a nightmare!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_vs._ ... 2001_film)

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:46 am

JetSetWilly wrote:I paid £13 including postage for my R1 copy. The cover is a bit water damaged, but the disc is mint. One of my favorite films. It's a shame that we never got a proper release. Saying that, we'd probably get a release like the Westworld disc. Just the trailer and bugger all else. Can I ask, how much did yours cost, as I did see them going on ebay for upwards of £18 (but that was about 2 years ago).
I can't really remember - it was a few years ago. Probably only around £8-£10 for the German edition, but well over a tenner once postage was added. I can't find any at the moment. If I search for "Sador" it changes it to "Sodor" and offers me Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs! :lol:

I would love to watch The General sometime. Another classic I like is a late-era western, The Shootist. An older John Wayne plays JB Books, suffering from cancer and trying to retire peacefully in a small town under a pseudonym. Lauren Bacall is his landlady, and Ron Howard her son who identifies him.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:16 pm

Ok here's a list, and i've got all these films

1. The Last Dragon.

2. Silent Running

3. Battle Beyond the Stars

4. Fire and Ice (fantastic rotoscope cartoon)

5. loads of others that have already been mentioned, Im a sci fi nut myself but I must say I love the RG forum film lists whenever they come up. You guys always have great taste and the odd forgotten classic inevitably pops up.
Scott me up beamie!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Good shout joefish I love the Shootist.
Scott me up beamie!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Mr_C wrote: Joe's Apartment: (is this retro yet?) starring Jerry O'Connell. A fun, quirky little comedy about a guy and his friendship with the cockroaches that live in his apartment. A great 'cheese' film
Great call!! :D :D :D
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:41 am

Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane was so far ahead if its time, when you watch it it is hard to believe it was made in 1941! Of course it has a huge reputation, but it is 100% worthy of being called one of the best films ever made.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:43 pm

theantmeister wrote:Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane was so far ahead if its time, when you watch it it is hard to believe it was made in 1941! Of course it has a huge reputation, but it is 100% worthy of being called one of the best films ever made.
It's even more incredible when you take into account it was Welles' first film he directed, and that he directed, produced, co-wrote and starred in the film when he was only about 25/26! Talk about hitting a home run with your first swing.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823