History of electronic music

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
djcarlos
Posts: 4198
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Just outside the Imperial Capital Of Seaford

History of electronic music

Post by djcarlos » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:37 am

For anyone who has even a passing interest in Kraftwerk (and let's face it, if you're here, you should have), Ninja Tune, electronic audio pioneers, or just damn fine original music, check these links out.
Nothing dodgy or illegal, I assure you!

8)

http://www.bosbos.net/2006/12/12/solid- ... ollection/
Image

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by woody.cool » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:45 pm

Cheers! That's just the ticket .... it's a pretty good site!

Have you checked out Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music - it's absolutly superb - and there's reference to Kraftwerk stuff in there to! This site is the way to understand differences between genres and sub-genres of the most un-heardof electronic music styles of music! It took me a good hour to get through it all - listening to all the clips and reading all the text!

It needs flash though!

User avatar
Sureshot
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Mids., UK

Post by Sureshot » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:47 pm

Aye, I saw that site a little while back, it's very interesting indeed.

Speedcore #5 is the funniest, sounds like it's merely broken.

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by woody.cool » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:50 pm

For a laugh - I did a Speedcore set with another DJ mate of mine - it went down very well considering I can't stand it (well actually I do like it - but I can only listen to about two minutes of it before it drives me demented)

I much prefer Happy Hardcore (a.k.a. Happycore) or Metalcore :twisted:

Submerge
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 6:25 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re:

Post by Submerge » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:56 pm

woody.cool wrote:Cheers! That's just the ticket .... it's a pretty good site!

Have you checked out Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music - it's absolutly superb - and there's reference to Kraftwerk stuff in there to! This site is the way to understand differences between genres and sub-genres of the most un-heardof electronic music styles of music! It took me a good hour to get through it all - listening to all the clips and reading all the text!

It needs flash though!
i was convinced this site would be awful, as are most 'history of electronic music' sites, but its damn good

few factual inaccauracies in the 'jungle' section, but otherwise an insanely good site

the less said about speedcore the better :o
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:40 pm

Submerge wrote:
woody.cool wrote:Cheers! That's just the ticket .... it's a pretty good site!

Have you checked out Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music - it's absolutly superb - and there's reference to Kraftwerk stuff in there to! This site is the way to understand differences between genres and sub-genres of the most un-heardof electronic music styles of music! It took me a good hour to get through it all - listening to all the clips and reading all the text!

It needs flash though!
i was convinced this site would be awful, as are most 'history of electronic music' sites, but its damn good

few factual inaccauracies in the 'jungle' section, but otherwise an insanely good site

the less said about speedcore the better :o
I agree about the speedcore - 'nuff said

What was inaccurate about the Jungle section then? - I'm intrigued 8)

Submerge
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 6:25 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re:

Post by Submerge » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:20 am

woody.cool wrote:
Submerge wrote:
woody.cool wrote:Cheers! That's just the ticket .... it's a pretty good site!

Have you checked out Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music - it's absolutly superb - and there's reference to Kraftwerk stuff in there to! This site is the way to understand differences between genres and sub-genres of the most un-heardof electronic music styles of music! It took me a good hour to get through it all - listening to all the clips and reading all the text!

It needs flash though!
i was convinced this site would be awful, as are most 'history of electronic music' sites, but its damn good

few factual inaccauracies in the 'jungle' section, but otherwise an insanely good site

the less said about speedcore the better :o
I agree about the speedcore - 'nuff said

What was inaccurate about the Jungle section then? - I'm intrigued 8)
To the untrained eye its all good, just a few of his categorisations are dubious. Im not a great believer in some of the genres anyways, im unsure if Neurofunk is a bonafide genre. Placing Inner City Life in 'Jazzy' doesnt cut it for me, its more a frontrunner of the atmospheric scene. Just little bits like that, nothing important, just me being penickity.

Also a few mistakes re : cateogorisation of rave and acid house, but there was a big overlap in 89 in that case, i suppose its down to the person.

The Jump up secition didnt do the importance of the genre any justice, its far more than 'insert bassline here' - Jump up was a staple 'feature' of original jungle, not just a paint by numbers sound.

His section on darkcore is completly wrong, Champion Sound is not really darkcore in the slightest.

Just things like that.

But as said, genre whoring is what you make of it, its down to the person, to me d+b is d+b whatever the genre, and the best dj's can mix up any given styles and make it work. D+B is way to pigeon holed, me for example, i can be classed as 'atmospheric' in terms of what i play, but i mix up at least 4 styles on that site per set.
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:26 am

Submerge wrote:To the untrained eye its all good, just a few of his categorisations are dubious. Im not a great believer in some of the genres anyways, im unsure if Neurofunk is a bonafide genre. Placing Inner City Life in 'Jazzy' doesnt cut it for me, its more a frontrunner of the atmospheric scene. Just little bits like that, nothing important, just me being penickity.

Also a few mistakes re : cateogorisation of rave and acid house, but there was a big overlap in 89 in that case, i suppose its down to the person.

The Jump up secition didnt do the importance of the genre any justice, its far more than 'insert bassline here' - Jump up was a staple 'feature' of original jungle, not just a paint by numbers sound.

His section on darkcore is completly wrong, Champion Sound is not really darkcore in the slightest.

Just things like that.

But as said, genre whoring is what you make of it, its down to the person, to me d+b is d+b whatever the genre, and the best dj's can mix up any given styles and make it work. D+B is way to pigeon holed, me for example, i can be classed as 'atmospheric' in terms of what i play, but i mix up at least 4 styles on that site per set.
Yeah ....... I was unsure about some of the D&B stuff but I just let it slide 'cos I'm not into D&B that much! I'm into some of the more unheard of genres - EBM, Butttrock Goa and I absolutly love the Disco House & Nu Italo sections - the sound clips used are superb - it's made me go out and find some of them tracks!

Submerge
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 6:25 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re:

Post by Submerge » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:42 am

woody.cool wrote:
Submerge wrote:To the untrained eye its all good, just a few of his categorisations are dubious. Im not a great believer in some of the genres anyways, im unsure if Neurofunk is a bonafide genre. Placing Inner City Life in 'Jazzy' doesnt cut it for me, its more a frontrunner of the atmospheric scene. Just little bits like that, nothing important, just me being penickity.

Also a few mistakes re : cateogorisation of rave and acid house, but there was a big overlap in 89 in that case, i suppose its down to the person.

The Jump up secition didnt do the importance of the genre any justice, its far more than 'insert bassline here' - Jump up was a staple 'feature' of original jungle, not just a paint by numbers sound.

His section on darkcore is completly wrong, Champion Sound is not really darkcore in the slightest.

Just things like that.

But as said, genre whoring is what you make of it, its down to the person, to me d+b is d+b whatever the genre, and the best dj's can mix up any given styles and make it work. D+B is way to pigeon holed, me for example, i can be classed as 'atmospheric' in terms of what i play, but i mix up at least 4 styles on that site per set.
Yeah ....... I was unsure about some of the D&B stuff but I just let it slide 'cos I'm not into D&B that much! I'm into some of the more unheard of genres - EBM, Butttrock Goa and I absolutly love the Disco House & Nu Italo sections - the sound clips used are superb - it's made me go out and find some of them tracks!
Too true, found a track on there ive been hearing since about 1999 and couldnt find the name anywhere, countless trips to record shops trying to describe a d+b track is never going to be easy.

Not so sure on the EBM, Buttrock etc, ill have a listen.

Some damn scary tracks on there, some of the deathcore, grindcore etc is just scary!
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

User avatar
djcarlos
Posts: 4198
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Just outside the Imperial Capital Of Seaford

Post by djcarlos » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:28 am

Yep that is a great site....could have done with that when I was a young metaller!
Nothing wrong with metal, don't get me wrong, just would have been nice to have someone explain things at times!
If you've ever been into a "underground" record shop as a naive young slip of a lad and asked for a tune that's been released for over a week you'll know what I mean.
Image

User avatar
djcarlos
Posts: 4198
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Just outside the Imperial Capital Of Seaford

Post by djcarlos » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:30 am

Sorry I should have mentioned this a minute ago....
The Kraftwerk mixes are genius are they not? Especially part 2..."type LOAD", "the computer is now "Loading""....genius
Image

Submerge
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 6:25 am
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Submerge » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:40 am

i find myself drawn to the ibiza house section, a lovely break from the jungle!
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

User avatar
BennyTheGreek
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: you dont care

Re:

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:01 pm

woody.cool wrote: and I absolutly love the Disco House & Nu Italo sections - the sound clips used are superb - it's made me go out and find some of them tracks!
I personally thought some of his choices for the disco section were a little commercial...the tunes coming out of New York and being played by the likes of Larry Heard were a lot better.(I Feel Love is cool but it has to be the Patrick Cowley 12" mix) (Love Sensation - Loleatta Holloway, Anything on Salsoul, Chic - Good Times, Last Night a Dj saved my life - Indeep) ..try and listen to anything that was played at Studio 54 in the 1970s if you want a true reflection of what the real sound of disco is......Would have been nice to see some reference to Northern Soul as well........ :D

Absolute disgrace to only feature Orbital once and not list them as gods in the bodies of humans..... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

What a superb website

Thank you :D

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:01 am

BennyTheGreek wrote:
woody.cool wrote: and I absolutly love the Disco House & Nu Italo sections - the sound clips used are superb - it's made me go out and find some of them tracks!
I personally thought some of his choices for the disco section were a little commercial...the tunes coming out of New York and being played by the likes of Larry Heard were a lot better.(I Feel Love is cool but it has to be the Patrick Cowley 12" mix) (Love Sensation - Loleatta Holloway, Anything on Salsoul, Chic - Good Times, Last Night a Dj saved my life - Indeep) ..try and listen to anything that was played at Studio 54 in the 1970s if you want a true reflection of what the real sound of disco is......Would have been nice to see some reference to Northern Soul as well........ :D

Absolute disgrace to only feature Orbital once and not list them as gods in the bodies of humans..... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

What a superb website

Thank you :D
Indeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life ..... is probably one of the best tunes I've ever heard - thanks for the tip - also I didn't mention that I've started getting into French House (a.k.a. Filter House) - now this stuff really is cool!

As for the Darkcore that has previously been mentioned - it's got a proper scary sound - I love that, great at parties!

Whenever I have parties - people come round to listen to the music I have - I can gaurentee that I will play something different and more obscure each time. With this Iskur's Electronic Guide, I've been able to fill the knowledge gaps and play some almighty fine tracks.

Submerge
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 6:25 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re:

Post by Submerge » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:01 am

woody.cool wrote:
BennyTheGreek wrote:
woody.cool wrote: and I absolutly love the Disco House & Nu Italo sections - the sound clips used are superb - it's made me go out and find some of them tracks!
I personally thought some of his choices for the disco section were a little commercial...the tunes coming out of New York and being played by the likes of Larry Heard were a lot better.(I Feel Love is cool but it has to be the Patrick Cowley 12" mix) (Love Sensation - Loleatta Holloway, Anything on Salsoul, Chic - Good Times, Last Night a Dj saved my life - Indeep) ..try and listen to anything that was played at Studio 54 in the 1970s if you want a true reflection of what the real sound of disco is......Would have been nice to see some reference to Northern Soul as well........ :D

Absolute disgrace to only feature Orbital once and not list them as gods in the bodies of humans..... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

What a superb website

Thank you :D
Indeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life ..... is probably one of the best tunes I've ever heard - thanks for the tip - also I didn't mention that I've started getting into French House (a.k.a. Filter House) - now this stuff really is cool!

As for the Darkcore that has previously been mentioned - it's got a proper scary sound - I love that, great at parties!

Whenever I have parties - people come round to listen to the music I have - I can gaurentee that I will play something different and more obscure each time. With this Iskur's Electronic Guide, I've been able to fill the knowledge gaps and play some almighty fine tracks.
taking this on a bit do we have some forum dj's here then?

I used to do a lot of work on internet pirates (10 to a dozen these days) with keen fm, and played out a fair bit in cardiff, bedford and oxford. That was playing Drum + Bass, on the atmospheric side of things.

Also played a number of times at anexxo, the bar above Turnmills in London, played a lot of house, breaks and techno there.

At the moment am doing nothing, real life, wife and mortgage have taken over, but still keeping my oar in with deep house, techno and dubstep, will hopefully begin to play out again in 2007, fingers crossed!
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest