What were/are your favourite Boardgames?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

samhain81

What were/are your favourite Boardgames?

Post by samhain81 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:51 am

I loved boardgames as a child, and still find the time to play one with the mrs every now and then.

What were/are your favourite boardgames?

My favourite as a child, and still is to this day is

Game of Life

Other honourable mentions are:

Hungry Hippos
Pop up Pirate
Scribble Scramble
Mousetrap

How about you ?
Last edited by samhain81 on Wed May 30, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merman

Re: What were/are your favourite Boardgames?

Post by merman » Wed May 30, 2012 11:50 am

Mousetrap
Monopoly
Scrabble
Dixit
Upwords
Talisman
Yahtzee

And not exactly a board game, but that's where you find it on shop shelves - Pass The Pigs
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Wed May 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Settlers of Catan. It's quite complex, but just about stops short of falling into the pit of hideously nerdy D&D type censored.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed May 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Mainly just Scrabble with the odd game of Monopoly & Game of Life every now & then.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Wed May 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Can't beat a good game of Guess Who.

pyroxian

Post by pyroxian » Wed May 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Then:
Risk, Buccaneer, Cluedo, Mahjong, Pack o' playing Cards.

Now:
Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Mahjong, Seven Wonders, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Trans-Europa, Arkham Horror, Kingdom Builders, Last Night on Earth, Pack o' playing cards.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed May 30, 2012 7:04 pm

We used to play a fair bit of Monopoly in the 80's. I've played the new one recently with the credit cards, it's still good, but not the same as the old style one. They've changed some of the place names too haven't they?

My brother and I had an awsome version of Battleship that had a small display and explosion sounds. Funny how you can't get this one in the 21st Century!

I also remember another Monopoly type game by MB called 'Hotel'. We used to play this quite often at our caravan in Wales.

Other games:

Game of Life
Connect4
Cluedo
Risk

My brother couldn't get into Risk, but me and my mate Dave played the crap out of it when we were teenagers.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:09 pm

Boggle. Its compact, takes no setting up, rules are simple and games short. If you can read, you can play. You can even play yourself for high scores.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed May 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Whack Attack (with the squeaky hammer!)
Ghost Castle (re-bought this only recently)
The Gunge Game (mostly for the little toy monsters you get with it)
Gum Guys (subtle torture-simulation - hang pieces off your putty figures and make them stretch until they snap in half)
Hungry Hungry Hippos (good noisy fun)
Connect Four
Guess Who
Ker-Plunk (another good noisy one!)
Screwball Scramble (lost count of the amount of times I've owned this only for it to be got rid of, then buying it again)
Hedgehog's Revenge
Bolt-N-Stein
Key to the Kingdom (like a simplified D&D)
Pog: The Game (it's just pogs but on a bigger board, really)
Pop-Up Pirate (my one's blue for some reason?)
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu May 31, 2012 8:00 am

Lots of the usual suspects, Monopoly probably favourite

Here's a couple I used to love that I haven't seen mentioned

THis -

And this (not sure Crossbows and Catapults counts here, but it's me replying soI decided it does :D ) -
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu May 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Love Crossbows & Catapults - I took my set into school to play with in the sixth form common room, fun times! Haven't got the box anymore but still got all the other bits.

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs looks like the best thing ever, I'll be on the lookout for that one :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 pm

I remember now that used to have both the Dinasaur game and the Crossbows game too, good times.

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu May 31, 2012 9:16 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Love Crossbows & Catapults - I took my set into school to play with in the sixth form common room, fun times! Haven't got the box anymore but still got all the other bits.

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs looks like the best thing ever, I'll be on the lookout for that one :D
From what I recall it was good, the volcano wa erupting all the time and the pterodactyl used to swoop lo
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu May 31, 2012 10:31 pm

Yep, 'Settlers of Catan' is a great game I was introduced to recently. Also 'Ticket to Ride' and 'Formula D'. 'Formula D' is a great one based on motor racing where you have different coloured die to throw depending on what gear the car is in, and you can only change up or down once per turn. Rather cleverly the bigger numbers on the higher dice mean you're likely to overshoot the corners if you're in too high a gear. 'Avé Ceasar' is a similar one based on chariot racing, where instead of rolling a die to move, you hold 3 cards with random movement distances on them, and you choose which to play each time to try to move ahead and block your opponents on narrow sections of the course.

Back as kids, two stand out. One was a 'Jurassic Park' themed game that looked a lot like that Dinosaur game - you moved your player, then rolled a die that let you move the dinosaurs to block your opponent. And there were extra cards you could play for extra moves. The other was a monopoly-like game endorsed by John Deere called simply 'The Farming Game'. Instead of property, you bought, bred and sold animal cards to raise money to buy six key 'status' cards for your farm (tractor, farmhouse, etc.) and win the game. Unlike Monopoly, it was actually quite fun and possible to finish.