Lone Wolf Game Books.

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Doddsy

Lone Wolf Game Books.

Post by Doddsy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:11 am

Having read the excellent fighting fantasy article in RG. It got me thinking back to the Lone Wolf series of game books by Joe Dever and Gary Chalk. I think they had more role playing depth than the popular fighting fantasy books. You could level up for each book by developing your kai powers. The books were also set in the same world unlike Fighting Fantasy where only some were based on Titan and they were stand alone adventures. You also didn't need any dice- there was a random generator page at the back and a colour map at the front. I think it would make a great VG game today.

Antiriad2097

Re: Lone Wolf Game Books.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:33 am

They were videogames back then.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:42 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:They were videogames back then.
there was a review in one of the magazines for c64 Lone Wolf at the time, tiny snippet of a review. it said:

"Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha - crap."

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:44 am

They weren't too shabby, they took the licence and worked reasonably well with it iirc. Been years since I played though, but I don't recall being terribly disappointed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:20 am

don't think i ever played one, or indeed, ever actually saw one! however, i'm fairly sure it was for lone wolf game of some description. i did find a zzap review online where it got 29%, but this must have been a budget round-up or something since it was only a tiny little box review. :lol:

tachi

Post by tachi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:29 pm

*Ahem*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnuS_yqDfFQ

And yes, Lone Wolf rocked too!
Popped into our local charity Bookstore last week and found the Novel series for £1 each...chuffed :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue May 01, 2012 5:13 am

HI-jack thread time :shock:

Games were ok at best, had fire on the water, I think? On the speccy.

Should anybody want these 2 books for postage, give me a shout.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue May 01, 2012 2:19 pm

i've got a few of these the first for or five,my brother has a few of the novels he keeps hoping to find the others (cheap) but can never find them.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

James A

Post by James A » Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:i've got a few of these the first for or five,my brother has a few of the novels he keeps hoping to find the others (cheap) but can never find them.
A few years ago the later ones in the series used to go for very high prices. Im not sure what they go for now though.

tachi

Post by tachi » Fri May 04, 2012 4:31 am

James A wrote:
Hitman_HalStep wrote:i've got a few of these the first for or five,my brother has a few of the novels he keeps hoping to find the others (cheap) but can never find them.
A few years ago the later ones in the series used to go for very high prices. Im not sure what they go for now though.
You can get them relatively cheap if you work through Ebay and Amazon and compare prices.
Bidding low seems to work though as it seems few people are buying them at present :(
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

pyroxian

Post by pyroxian » Fri May 04, 2012 5:06 am

The original versions are online here: http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

And the newer, expanded editions (Hardcover format, and some with extra scenes added by Joe Dever) can be bought from Mongoose here: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels.html?p=1

Arque

Post by Arque » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:38 am

See what happens when you post before scrolling. Just mentioned these in the Fighting Fantasy post. I did enjoy these much more than Fighting Fantasy. The combat, items, and levelling all seemed to work better. The plot lines were also more exciting for a 12 year old player.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:50 am

pantal00ns wrote:HI-jack thread time :shock:

Games were ok at best, had fire on the water, I think? On the speccy.

Should anybody want these 2 books for postage, give me a shout.
Brings back some memories seeing those covers again!

I'm not sure what it was I liked about them over Fighting Fantasy. I think it was the idea of the Jedi-type religion they had, where you could choose powers like telekenesis and stuff.

ootini

Post by ootini » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:19 am

Cool. Seeing those covers have brought back a few memories of school. There was a bit of a craze for them in my class circa 1987/88. During Book Week that year a kid came in dressed up as Lone Wolf, like on the cover of Flight From the Dark. I think he'd butchered curtains from his Gran's spare room to make the green cloak. Not surprisingly said kid got into LARPing a few years later.

These were my first encounter with fantasy game-books. Sadly have completely forgotten pretty much everything about them bar the first series were Kai-Power books and the second was Magna-Kai or something.

Never realised there were computer games based on them. (Was aware of some of the FF ones like Seas of Blood though) To think if we'd know back then as 9 year old kids that there was computer games based on them we would have gone though hell and high water to get hold of them, be they crappy or not.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:24 am

Did you know that a new LW game is in the works? :)
http://lonewolfthegame.com/

By the way, I'm a great fan of the series myself, I was an avid reader when I was 11-13, and more recently I've retained all the books (the italian version) up to number 21, and battling through the saga again 8) I'm at present at book 13. Great books, excellent atmosphere and narrative, a truly living world.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark