Look what I just bought for my son!!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

thebear

Re: Look what I just bought for my son!!

Post by thebear » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 am

StickHead wrote:
thegrizzlybear wrote:Using those as coasters is more the equivilant of buying a toy to just sit in a box than what I'm doing

What u doing is like buying those games and, shock horror, playing them
I agree mate, there's nothing worse than a toy sealed away in a box never to be played - it's what they were made for, after all. I think it's seriously cool that your kid is into Star Wars toys. Unfortunately my boy is all Thomas the Tank and Peppa Pig (need to re-educate I think!).

The Panzer Dragoon thing was just a joke, don't get your knickers in a twist :lol: .

Lol I figured it probably was

Ah don't worry mate, that's all I had, then he slowly got into Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon (which I not a fan of) but that gave me chance to get him waqtching the films!
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:03 am

Scapegoat wrote: I applaud you whole heartedly, if your son gets so much enjoyment out of the AT-AT that it eventually gets trashed due to heavy use then it was a worthwhile purchase.

Now all you need to do is post pictures of you burning the box after he's opened it. :wink:
Absolutely, even if it last only a few months, the happiness it'll give him means far more than it sitting on a self somewhere doing nothing

Plus as I as said I managed to pick it up for 30 odd quid anyway so not like I'm breaking the bank here!!!

And I also won this auction last night (collectors look away now, near mint condition X-Wing original toy that's about to get played with)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170811755601? ... 1439.l2649

For a grand total of 67 quid I gonna have one very happy little boy on his birthday

And that means far more to me than any thoughts of letting it sit on a shelf and do nothing
Last edited by thebear on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 am

Aah, the Clone Wars cartoon! That's my 'in' - if it's animated, he'll watch anything! You are a genius. I'm going to watch one with him tonight.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:10 am

StickHead wrote:Aah, the Clone Wars cartoon! That's my 'in' - if it's animated, he'll watch anything! You are a genius. I'm going to watch one with him tonight.
Yep worked for me anyway mate!

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:21 am

thebear wrote:
StickHead wrote:Aah, the Clone Wars cartoon! That's my 'in' - if it's animated, he'll watch anything! You are a genius. I'm going to watch one with him tonight.
If that fails, I'm falling back to Droids as a plan B.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:26 am

StickHead wrote:
thebear wrote:
If that fails, I'm falling back to Droids as a plan B.
Or the Ewoks movie :lol:

or The Holiday Special :oops:

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 am

Nice present! Ive been looking at vintage Star Wars stuff recently too. I sold a huge collection for £10 years ago.

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:47 am

SoupDragon wrote:Nice present! Ive been looking at vintage Star Wars stuff recently too. I sold a huge collection for £10 years ago.
yeah me too, quite possibly for the same fee, I would guess in about 1987/88

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:16 pm

StickHead wrote:
thegrizzlybear wrote:Using those as coasters is more the equivilant of buying a toy to just sit in a box than what I'm doing

What u doing is like buying those games and, shock horror, playing them
I agree mate, there's nothing worse than a toy sealed away in a box never to be played - it's what they were made for, after all. I think it's seriously cool that your kid is into Star Wars toys. Unfortunately my boy is all Thomas the Tank and Peppa Pig (need to re-educate I think!).

The Panzer Dragoon thing was just a joke, don't get your knickers in a twist :lol: .
Thomas the Tank Engine pisses all over Star Wars.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 pm

thebear wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
joefish wrote: To be frank, a four-year old will trash that. The plastic around the screwed joints will be even more brittle and fragile now that it was originally. It'll be limping on three legs before long.
Yeah, Star Wars collectors will be weeping into their Darth Vader voice-changing helmets :lol: . I would have just gone for one of the cheaper 90's models like the one I had (but sadly binned :( ).
Screw the collectors, these things are toys and were made to be played with!

Plus I got it for only 30 odd quid as missing cockpit cover (I guess collectors MUST have that bit?)
Oh I wasn't having a jab at you - just musing over what a collector would think if they saw this. I guess it's the old hoarder mentality in me; seeing something so old that has survived so long and all that.

Totally agree that if you aren't of the collecting mind yourself then they should be played with. It'll all be dust one day anyhow so might as well get the proper useage out of 'em :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:43 pm

£67 quid for an X-Wing? Even at £50 the latest LEGO one wees all over that.
Loads more detail, torpedoes, two astromechs, Luke and Porkins.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:16 pm

No probs with him playing with it til it breaks - just don't let him rip the box up!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:06 am

joefish wrote:£67 quid for an X-Wing? Even at £50 the latest LEGO one wees all over that.
Loads more detail, torpedoes, two astromechs, Luke and Porkins.
Doesn't have the nostalgia value for his dad though. :wink: Plus, he also said for a grand total of £67, so I assume if the AT AT was £30, then that X Wing was only £37.

Seriously, I started reading this thread with a 'What the hell are you thinking?' vibe when I saw you'd bought an original boxed AT AT to give to your son, and had a little chuckle at Stickhead's joke, but by the time I got here...
thebear wrote:I gonna have one very happy little boy on his birthday

And that means far more to me than any thoughts of letting it sit on a shelf and do nothing
I was won over. :) You're absolutely right. If that AT AT gives him half as much fun as the one my mum and dad bought me for Xmas one year when I was little, and he grows up with the same fond memories of his birthday as I have of that Xmas, then to hell with the collectors. Like you say, it should be out of it's box and played with and enjoyed. Kudos to you for convincing an old cynic like me, and hope your son has a brilliant day (and you too, when you get to have a proper go with those things yourself :lol: :wink: ).
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:38 am

Makes me think, I just recently bought my brother the T-Rex from the original megazord.
Not sure how your at-at will hold up but this megazord is doing good at staying in one piece.