Garbage Pail Kids

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Garbage Pail Kids

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:14 am

Just ordered :D
I read about this book at the start of the year and was looking forward to it, but forgot about it until this post, so cheers for that one.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:32 pm

It's arrived today - they've even made the jacket out of the same material the packets were made out of!
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:It's arrived today - they've even made the jacket out of the same material the packets were made out of!
No bubblegum though.

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:11 am

Got mine in the post on Friday. Really nice little package. Really hard to believe that the pulitzer prize winning Art Speigelman was involved in them.

Again yet more nostalgia of my childhood. Although.. The book is more than likely based on the American series' as I'm almost positive that the series' we got on this side of the pond were slightly mixed up. Defo some cards in series 3 I recall were part of series 2. Also some of the names appear different.. Maybe I'm just getting on and the memory has dulled a bit.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:44 pm

djcarlos wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:It's arrived today - they've even made the jacket out of the same material the packets were made out of!
No bubblegum though.
Look on the front and back cover, underneath the sleeve ;)

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:46 am

i haven't opened my stickers yet. i don't know if i should. i want to, to see what they are :lol:

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:54 am

thingonaspring wrote:i haven't opened my stickers yet. i don't know if i should. i want to, to see what they are :lol:
Yeah I'm a bit torn on that one too....

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:04 am

Anyone remember the film? Werent too bad from what I remember, iirc Troy from the Goonies played tangerines boyfriend.

Eat your nans pants

MartynC

Post by MartynC » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:40 am

Love Garbage Pail Kids.

I've got every UK card - series 1-6 and the two Garbage Gang series, plus a bunch of 'swaps' :)

I remember back in the day, kids used to stick em all over the place, but I always thought they were too cool to just slap on an exercise book.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Something I never see online much that was a major part of collecting GPK for me, is the backs of the stickers...those little certificates and licences that allowed you to stay up late or be a cheapskate, and awards for being ugly or stupid, etc....

Be nice to find an archive of those!

Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:35 pm

I'd forgotten about those, nice one!

Mr_C

Post by Mr_C » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:37 pm

deadpan666 wrote:Something I never see online much that was a major part of collecting GPK for me, is the backs of the stickers...those little certificates and licences that allowed you to stay up late or be a cheapskate, and awards for being ugly or stupid, etc....

Have a good scroll through here and you'll find some.

http://smurfwreck.libsyn.com/webpage/ca ... 20Stickers

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Mr_C wrote:
deadpan666 wrote:Something I never see online much that was a major part of collecting GPK for me, is the backs of the stickers...those little certificates and licences that allowed you to stay up late or be a cheapskate, and awards for being ugly or stupid, etc....

Have a good scroll through here and you'll find some.

http://smurfwreck.libsyn.com/webpage/ca ... 20Stickers
Aw, now look....why did you go and post that...I was just about to go off the internet....now I'll be sitting here for hours!!! :lol:

Awesome site....lots of groovy retro stuff to look through! Thanks for the link! :D
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

MartynC

Post by MartynC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:24 am

Just got hold of the book mentioned in the first post.

Really nice - well worth £8. A nice bonus for UK GPK collectors is that it's the US cards that are shown. In the UK, from series 3 onwards, they messed things up by selecting cards from multiple US series (I guess so that there were more original cards and less A-B duplicates). This screwed up the numbering system (cards from series 5 plugged gaps in series 3 for instance), and also meant that a number of US cards were never released in the UK. Looking at this book you can see which ones were not chosen.