Which is the better film - Robocop or The Terminator?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which is the better film - Robocop or The Terminator?

Robocop
58%
The Terminator
42%

Total votes: 78

noobish hat

Re: Which is the better film - Robocop or The Terminator?

Post by noobish hat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Terminator 3 is easily the worst film in that series, way worse than Salvation.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:14 pm

noobish hat wrote:Terminator 3 is easily the worst film in that series, way worse than Salvation.
Agreed! Although I didn't think Salvation was anywhere near as good as T1/T2

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:48 pm

woody.cool wrote:
noobish hat wrote:Terminator 3 is easily the worst film in that series, way worse than Salvation.
Agreed! Although I didn't think Salvation was anywhere near as good as T1/T2

Salvation was better than I thought it would be, but certainly not in the same league as the first. God do I hate the 12a/pg-13 craze.

Whilst they're both brilliant, I voted for The Terminator, which I also believe to be a better film that T2. Whilst T2 is an excellent film, I just thought it was a bit too clean and polished. The original had that rough, film noir feel to it, and was also the only film of the series to realise that the concept of a Terminator is actually a terrifying proposition. It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with........

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:06 am

Salvation is just like every modern action film - grey, plodding and dull. Yes, there are explosions and camera shake, but it really left me cold. The plot was infuriating too. As were most of the characters. And yet, at the same time it was instantly forgettable. Was the fight at the end with John Connor or that other guy? I can't remember and I don't care. It was like that GI Joe movie.

T3 was entertaining as hell. It was a stupid film with massive guns and explosions. The ending was fantastic too. Sure, John Connor was a little weak, but still better than Furlong.

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:07 am

I don't think the music on both films have been mentioned yet, both have classic scores and themes and I love Brad Fiedel's work but I think Basil Poledouris Robocop theme is a classic/uplifting/punch the air "come on roby, shoot them in the head!" kind of stuff :D

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:56 am

theantmeister wrote:
Salvation is just like every modern action film - grey, plodding and dull. Yes, there are explosions and camera shake, but it really left me cold. The plot was infuriating too. As were most of the characters. And yet, at the same time it was instantly forgettable. Was the fight at the end with John Connor or that other guy? I can't remember and I don't care. It was like that GI Joe movie.

T3 was entertaining as hell. It was a stupid film with massive guns and explosions. The ending was fantastic too. Sure, John Connor was a little weak, but still better than Furlong.
That may be true, but I prefer Terminator over T2, so I want something a bit more dark and brooding. I couldn't take T3 seriously at all. I might have found it enjoyably goofy and lame if it didn't have the Terminator title.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 am

theantmeister wrote: T3 was entertaining as hell. It was a stupid film with massive guns and explosions. The ending was fantastic too. Sure, John Connor was a little weak, but still better than Furlong.
It has one of the most depressing endings to any film ever, which was great, and didn't really suit the rest of the comic-book style of the film. It left it open for a really good sequel (the war film we've all been waiting for, but have never got).

I thought the "flashback/forward" scenes to the future in Terminator 1 and 2 were infinitely superior to the whole of Salvation.

(Salvation - a film directed by a man who refers to himself as McG and a lead actor who thinks he's Laurence Olivier).
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:49 pm

mrbungle wrote:I don't think the music on both films have been mentioned yet, both have classic scores and themes and I love Brad Fiedel's work but I think Basil Poledouris Robocop theme is a classic/uplifting/punch the air "come on roby, shoot them in the head!" kind of stuff :D
Yeah I loved the music as Robo is heading through the OCP building before confronting censored Jones (and ultimatly the fight with ED209).

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:34 am

greenberet79 wrote:
theantmeister wrote: T3 was entertaining as hell. It was a stupid film with massive guns and explosions. The ending was fantastic too. Sure, John Connor was a little weak, but still better than Furlong.
It has one of the most depressing endings to any film ever, which was great, and didn't really suit the rest of the comic-book style of the film. It left it open for a really good sequel (the war film we've all been waiting for, but have never got).

I thought the "flashback/forward" scenes to the future in Terminator 1 and 2 were infinitely superior to the whole of Salvation.

(Salvation - a film directed by a man who refers to himself as McG and a lead actor who thinks he's Laurence Olivier).
...who's previous efforts include MTV music videos and the Charlie's Angels film :lol:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:40 am

noobish hat wrote:That may be true, but I prefer Terminator over T2, so I want something a bit more dark and brooding. I couldn't take T3 seriously at all. I might have found it enjoyably goofy and lame if it didn't have the Terminator title.
Terminator was dark and broody, because it focussed on an interesting character. Kyle Reese was clearly a damaged human being, lost and confused, out of his own time and haunted by his nightmarish memories of growing up and living through a hellish future war. His mission pushed him forward, as well as the knowledge that he was up against an unstoppable death machine.

Did any of that come through in Salvation? Was he even in that film? I honestly don't remember. Salvation is so poorly made. I wouldn't call it dark at all. It was just boring.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:27 am

I wasn't saying Salvation was dark and brooding (to be honest I can't remember much of it), I was just saying that T3 was waaaay off the mark for me.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:41 am

As for ranking the sequels :-

T2 - Very good. Gets about to nearly 85 % of the original Terminator's greatness. Only, really some of the slow paced sections and maybe the fact that Edward Furlong is a bit annoying let it down. I think the fact that the original had the nice sort of twist to it and had a very bleak storyline to it means that it will always come out on top.

T3 - Pretty good. A good action movie. Doesn't have the story depth of the first two and the action sequences were never going to match T2's.

TS - Haven't seen it yet.

R2 - Okay. Some good elements to the storyline(the drugs and so on), but missing the biting satire of the first film. Plus, it is a bit po faced now.

R3 - Hmmm, What is the story to this? Other than it being about Murphy. Pretty week overall. Misses Peter Weller as Robocop as well. Am I right in thinking that in the UK it went 'straight to video'?

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:07 pm

theantmeister wrote:
noobish hat wrote:That may be true, but I prefer Terminator over T2, so I want something a bit more dark and brooding. I couldn't take T3 seriously at all. I might have found it enjoyably goofy and lame if it didn't have the Terminator title.
Terminator was dark and broody, because it focussed on an interesting character. Kyle Reese was clearly a damaged human being, lost and confused, out of his own time and haunted by his nightmarish memories of growing up and living through a hellish future war. His mission pushed him forward, as well as the knowledge that he was up against an unstoppable death machine.

Did any of that come through in Salvation? Was he even in that film? I honestly don't remember. Salvation is so poorly made. I wouldn't call it dark at all. It was just boring.
Having fully fledgded human bases with A10s and Hueys didn't sit right with me either. Where were the guerlla fighters, the technicals bodged together from wrecked pick-ups ?

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:45 pm

CIH wrote:
theantmeister wrote:

Having fully fledgded human bases with A10s and Hueys didn't sit right with me either. Where were the guerlla fighters, the technicals bodged together from wrecked pick-ups ?

You could argue it was the early stages of the war, so there was a greater amount of pre war equipment left. However, it did bug me how they could seemingly fly into Skynet at will, and the darker tone of T1 and T2 would have been far more appropriate

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:13 am

Thats a tough one, if we are going on the first films only, then Robocop. However T2 beats all others hands down.
Cheers
Ben
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.