Which is the better film - Robocop or The Terminator?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which is the better film - Robocop or The Terminator?

Robocop
58%
The Terminator
42%

Total votes: 78

noobish hat

Re: Which is the better film - Robocop or The Terminator?

Post by noobish hat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:39 pm

necronom wrote:
woody.cool wrote:This is complete and utter blasphemy ..... Terminator is the better film without a doubt.
I was expecting the voting to be about 80% for The Terminator. At least IMDB gets it right, and that has many more votes.

I can't ever remember hearing anyone before say that they preferred Robocop over The Terminator.
Well that's what I think the common perception is, that Terminator is in some way inherently a superior film. But as I and some others have said, I really think Robocop is a more complex film with more layers and better characters.

parappa

Post by parappa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:26 am

I think Termintor is slightly better because the love story stays in your mind more..but It is a hair difference. Robocop is awesome, and I read it was a jesus metaphor.

parappa

Post by parappa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:29 am

I think T1 is better than T2 as well, the 80s atmosphere is more cool, Arnie is bad and not cute, the boy JC was too hyper, and the liquid terminator was too "fantasy" ( I know cyborgs don't exist but Arnie T was at least more plausible ). The best part about T2 is the car chases and Sarah going bad.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:08 pm

That was a decent little twist wasn't it ? Sarah Connor becoming the ruthless killing machine, trying to alter the future.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:50 pm

tbh i don't like any of the terminator films much, but they all have good bits in them.

for me the original terminator seemed like it was just another teen slasher movie..and the music and haircuts are horrible.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:43 pm

parappa wrote:I think Termintor is slightly better because the love story stays in your mind more..but It is a hair difference. Robocop is awesome, and I read it was a jesus metaphor.
I'm not sure if that's what the scriptwriters originally had in mind, but that's how the director (Paul Verhoeven) interpreted it. He talks about it at length on the DVD (where he refers to RoboCop as 'an American Jesus...with a big gun!' :lol: ) and there's a piece about it at the Robocop Archive here: http://www.robocoparchive.com/info/making1-2.htm
Paul Verhoeven said the reason why he did the movie was because it was a retelling of the story of Jesus Christ. The Christ influences include the death and resurrection of Murphy. His hand is nailed by a bullet. He stands in crucified fashion and his body is pierced with many bullets and the last bullet is delivered to his brow. He is taken to the hospital where he his reconstructed. He is then resurrected as half human and half machine. Jesus at his resurrection was also changed. In the end there is the scene when RoboCop goes towards Boddicker and he walks on the water.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:05 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
parappa wrote:I think Termintor is slightly better because the love story stays in your mind more..but It is a hair difference. Robocop is awesome, and I read it was a jesus metaphor.
I'm not sure if that's what the scriptwriters originally had in mind, but that's how the director (Paul Verhoeven) interpreted it. He talks about it at length on the DVD (where he refers to RoboCop as 'an American Jesus...with a big gun!' :lol: ) and there's a piece about it at the Robocop Archive here: http://www.robocoparchive.com/info/making1-2.htm
Paul Verhoeven said the reason why he did the movie was because it was a retelling of the story of Jesus Christ. The Christ influences include the death and resurrection of Murphy. His hand is nailed by a bullet. He stands in crucified fashion and his body is pierced with many bullets and the last bullet is delivered to his brow. He is taken to the hospital where he his reconstructed. He is then resurrected as half human and half machine. Jesus at his resurrection was also changed. In the end there is the scene when RoboCop goes towards Boddicker and he walks on the water.
That's interesting & I thought it was a updated story of 'Frankenstein'?

Babbage

Post by Babbage » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:02 pm

this is one of this 'which puppy do I drown' dilemmas, as they're both cracking films. My only regret is I never saw either of these at the cinema.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:46 pm

They other fellas doing the commentary also mentioned that almost everything with Paul Verhoven ends up as a christ metaphor lol.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:46 am

CIH wrote:....but only the first Robocop is worth a damn. The second is slightly ropey the third just awful.
Really? I think Robocop 2 is fantastic. Love the story. I agree totally about Robocop 3 though. Rubbish!!
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:09 am

Enjoy both but Robocop for me. Id buy that for a dollar :wink:

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:03 am

Robocop for me, just love the feel of the film.. do Like T1 and T2 though..

Demolition Man anyone.. ;)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 am

boggyb68 wrote:
Demolition Man anyone.. ;)

B.

Yeah, actually quite a fun type sci fi film - especially compared to the bleak Terminator or the grim satire of Robocop. Stallone gts a lot of flack for some of the roles he has done(okay, he has been in a few turkeys), but this one was quite good. It of course has Sandra Bullock and Wesley Snipes. That bit with the eyeball always makes me wince!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:13 am

This thread is like the Terminator - it will not stop! Good thing though, imo.

Ok - which is the worst sequel out of the lot? Robocop 3 would probably get my vote, but I do think Terminator Salvation was very very poor, considering the money it had to spend.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Sequels?

T2 - Very good, but not quite as good as The Terminator
T3 - Almost very good. Not as good as T2
TS - Not enough actual Terminator action going on. If hardly felt like Terminators were in it much. My least favourite one.

R2 - Okay, but no-where near as good as the first.
R3 - So terrible I can't actually remember anything about it. It sort of appeared and vanished without anyone noticing it. I did like the game, though.

So, R3 is by far the worst one, though going by the amount of wrongness in this thread, everyone else will probably say T2 is the worst.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V