Anyone remember the Large cans of Coke...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: Anyone remember the Large cans of Coke...

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:47 pm

Joey wrote:There is currently a limited edition 500ml Coke Zero can you can buy.
They come and go. At the wholesalers where I work, those big Zero cans come in several times a year so they're not one-off Ltd Editions just a strange variant that Coke like to wheel out every now and then. There was also a Tango 'sound system' 500ml can last year or the year before I think.
Liamh1982 wrote:^ That's nothing, I regularly buy 2 litre bottles of Pepsi for 89p each!

Cheapest I have currently seen a 500ml Coke bottle is 79p in B&M - however they sell cans for 39p each so get two for 78p and you end up with more (660ml) for less!
Home bargains in my town has 3 for a £1 on Pepsi 500ml. Makes you wonder why anybody pays £1.30 for a single bottle in a newsagent or wherever. Can also get 500ml bottles of the lovely Sunkist for just 19p :shock:

The only difference is that most of the bottles have French writing or some other language on the labels but it's the same stuff inside anyway so who cares.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:30 am

Gotta love cash and carries - thanks to them, I can recite the ingredients in a can of Coke in about 50 different languages! :lol:

Everytime you buy one from a chippy it's time to play "In which country did this can fall off the back of a lorry?"

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:10 am

I remember those, back in the 80's, when you could buy the big Mars/Snickers (Marathon)/Twix bars as well.

I hated it when they replaced them with bottles. I never find those 500ml bottles of coke to be as fizzy as a can for some reason.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:06 am

I hate the new pocket sized bottles of pop that have shown up. Pretty much a pound for one :shock: its getting really stupid now. Taking of everything going to plastic bottles I know we have limited resources when it comes to metals unless we recycle. I just heard to make your average 2 litre plastic bottle you need 2 litres of water per bottle to make it :shock: that's a massive amount of water especially if you stare at them piled high at the supermarket and just think about all the water used

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:08 am

I remember when cans were flat at the top and bottom as opposed to curved like they are today... and they had ring pulls that came off! :0)

I remember buying loads of those big cans in Ibiza around 89... it was so hot I was glad of the extra coke over a small can.. :0)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Dont remember large cans of coke,BUT i do remember very large tins of WATNEYS PARTY 4 LAGER :D
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

ootini

Post by ootini » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:03 am

I remember the fist time I bought a supercan. I'm guessing that I must have been about 7 or 8 years old. It was in the supermarket section of a massive department store that was near a school friends house. We ducked in on the way home to his place after school and I bought a Pepsi and two packs of cheapo tic tacs called Flash. We ran back through the store and I bumped into a massive fat kid in the clothing section who appeared from nowhere. This knocked the can out of my hand and sent to flying. Landed perfectly upright and not a drop spilled. I do remember it making me incredibly hyperactive, as I was generally not allowed have fizzy drinks, so this resulted giddy behavior which culminated in me puking up the cheese and garlic potatoes my friend's mother cooked us for dinner and then getting hysterical as their German Shepard gobbled up the puke.

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:54 am

the_hawk wrote:Just checked my 330ml can of Dr Pepper & it has a "paltry" 38% of GDA of sugar.
Remember back in the day where no one gave a censored about their health thus the GDA never existed.

Ah...the ignorant old days. :lol:

We're too clued up on stuff now that we are subconscious about such trivial stuff.
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:00 pm

I've still got some of the big Pepsi cans from the early 90s. My favourite was the one called "shades" (bloody love that word! So 90s!)
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 am

B&M have 2 litre bottles of RC cola for 49p or cans 20p each (6 for £1) - a million times better than the swill you'd get from a supermarket for that price.