Did you get a wallop?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

MattyC64c

Re: Did you get a wallop?

Post by MattyC64c » Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 am

Neither my grandad, nor my nan ever administered corporal punishment to me or my brother. Although I'll admit, we were very rarely with our gandparents alone. Grandad may have shouted disapproval a few times, but this was few and far between, I can't remember really as I was only 8 years old when he died.

I suppose he should have been a strict disaplinarian, based on the time he was born, which was about 1916, but strangely he wasn't.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:33 pm

I say.........BRING IT BACK .........

.......SING IT BACK

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu May 17, 2012 9:43 pm

As far as I know I was smacked once in my whole life. A strong word form my Dad would always be sufficient (although the fact he's 6 foot 6 and about 18 stone helped). I know a lot of people see it as the answer, but how often do you see some useless chav mother screeching at little Jordan and Shaneese to "facking shat up or I'll smack ya"? Clearly the threat or indeed action of hitting your child does not work in all cases

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Not from my parents much at all, in fact twice is all I can remember. But then by the time I was 13 I was into swimming, boxing, judo and rugby - it wouldn't have bothered me much anyway and all the activity kept me out of trouble at home.
At Skool was different, the games teacher (I was in high Skool by 1980) would give you a dig in the ribs or a dead leg when he felt like it - just to "toughen you up" and we had an old woodwork teacher called Tapper because of his love of smacking you across the back of the head with a yard stick he carried around the workshop. He had been a fighter pilot in WWII, was very near retirement when I joined the Skool, and would tell us great war stories. We admired, liked, respected and feared him. There were loads of us at his funeral some years ago.
We're they better times? Were we better behaved than kids today? Nah, no way, we were little sh17s.
Did it do me any harm -
Nah don't think so.
But I tell u one thing - I am not listening to my invisible friend anymore and I am going to start killing people.
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:26 pm

I got the odd beating as a child, two memorable ones were because I spilled my entire plate of spag Bol on the living room floor. And the other was for shouting back ( I was actually in the right) I took it and still didn't back down, I'm a right stubborn fecker if I'm in the right.

My mom once launched a bottle of brown sauce at my brothers head, it just missed and smashed all up the wall. That would have hurt lol.

Personally, i have never smacked my kids. But wouldn't shy away if the need arose. The softly softly approach certainly hasn't worked when you look at the majority of little scrotes roaming the streets nowadays.

Eat your nans pants