Did you get a wallop?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

JetSetWilly

Re: Did you get a wallop?

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:33 pm

djcarlos wrote:I remember my dad pushing my little sister's face in her dinner cos she wouldn't eat it :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's probably the funniest thing I've heard all day.

I used to get a wallop around the back of the legs if I did anything wrong, mainly from the old man. I did jump back once so he couldn't get me (thought I was being clever), but when he did get me........f**k me, did it hurt. I did deserve it, though. Taught me right from wrong, and manners as well. Something this generation of yoof is sadly lacking.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'd often get a skelp from my folks and used to get the scud weekly in Music class.
Scud obviously means something else up there, in Glasgow it means p0rn :lol:

On topic, we never had that sort of punishment at school, my old man used to threaten with the belt but I can't remember him every hitting me, I do remember getting a skelped a*se on plenty of occasions from my mum and even a slap in the face when I was being an exceptional little sh*t :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:28 am

yep, and wooden spoon on the bqack of the hand if i'd really played up
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:07 am

My mum once whacked my elder brother on the thigh with a wooden spoon.
It didn't hurt him and the spoon split right down the middle.
As a caution to parents - when your kids are falling over laughing at you it undoubtedly makes it harder to maintain discipline.

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 pm

I remember the cane on the back of the legs and the blackjack on the knuckles at primary school, plus the headmaster at the time had this weird death grip thing he would do with his whole hand on the top of your head, lock on...and kinda just pull you along to his office! - At home it wasn't too bad growing up, do remember one time having to dodge the fireguard from hitting me in the face... tho it was meant for my dad, my mum just didn't have a great throw (or aim!) :)

ootini

Post by ootini » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Corporeal punishment where I am from was outlawed in schools long before I was born, so thankfully never had to put up with that kind of carry on, which I personally think is far to harsh a way to be treating children.

My parents never raised a hand either. Punishment was always more psychological, and in my opinion more effective. As far as me and my siblings were concerned anyway. Removal of tv & computer privileges and grounding was the two used with most effect.

I do remember hearing the screams of the kids in the house next door as their overly temperamental psychotic alcoholic father walloped them with his slipper. Horrible stuff. Scary individual. Imagine a hulking Pavarotti size man with red hair, massive bushy beard and wild eyes. He bellowed at me once when their garden fence blew down and I poked my head through the wall to inspect the damage done to his vegetable patch. Absolutely terrifying.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:13 pm

ootini wrote:Corporeal punishment where I am from was outlawed in schools long before I was born
Punishment beyond the grave? Beating until dead and beyond?

I'm not sure any schools allowed that. Well, maybe Oxford or Cambridge.

The psychology of fear instilled by an occasional skelp to the bum works wonders. It really makes you stop and think 'will I risk doing what I know I'm not supposed to?'

It was the only thing that ever concerned my stepson in my first marriage. You could ground him, take away all his toys, it wouldn't phase him in the slightest. He'd lie in bed and sing to himself, happy as larry. But the threat of a skelp (not a beating) would often be enough to rail him back a bit.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:58 pm

My parents used to smack me if I was naughty (and there is definitely a difference between a smack and a beating) and it never did me any harm. It did make me think twice about misbehaving though!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:22 pm

A smack round the back of the legs by my mum on several occasions, ruddy well hurt. Our old primary/junior school headmaster used to walk around the playground with a cane, though I don't think he used it in my time, it was more for effect.

An art teacher used to throw chalk at lightspeed. I'm all in favour of it to be honest, but he was a complete psycho, liable to snap at any minute.

I feel sorry for teachers these days - the kids (and scumbag parents) know they can't do anything.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

luzur

Post by luzur » Sun May 06, 2012 5:46 pm

i got 2 or 3 of them, on my ass, from my mom.

and i deserved every one of them too, for doing dumb stuff (shooting an ox with an airgun, shoplifting gum etc)

and sometimes when i see kids today i kinda wish those practises would come back, some of those brats really need a walloping!

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun May 06, 2012 7:31 pm

I got a slap on the @rse with a slipper every now and then if I deserved it, but usually it was "wait until your dad gets home" which was odd. Firstly because the very idea of being told on mortified me beyond belief, and secondly because my dad was actually quite a mild chap who I don't think ever raised his hand to me. :)

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Mon May 07, 2012 5:43 pm

At my primary school there were two forms of corporal punishment, the cane and the pump.

The headmaster dished out the cane on the hand in his office but only to the lads. The deputy head used the pump. He had big feet so the footwear was large and formidable. It was dished out in assembly but all the girls had to leave first. I always wondered if they pulled the lads pants down and that was the reason. The joys of a church school. :lol:

On one occasion one of the girls broke the fluorescent light in the library with a netball and it was decided she deserved punishment. The head and deputy refused because she was female so one of the female teachers did it (that teacher later went on to marry the deputy and I babysat for them).

Secondary school was an all girls school and there was no corporal punishment there.

I was rather a well behaved child and was never in trouble at school except the odd class detention. At home I only got hit once when I was 13 because I swore at my mum. Swearing wasn't allowed and I was being rude. Considering how much I swear these days, it obviously didn't deter me :wink: .

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 am

By the time I was in school corporal punishment had been phased out, but I used to get a smack from my parents if I was naughty.

My cousins are about ten years younger than me, and my uncle used to do something which really p*ssed me off. When I was with them he'd tell them I'd "smack their bums" if they were cheeky. I wouldn't dream of it!! They're not my kids to discipline!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Helensification wrote:At my primary school there were two forms of corporal punishment, the cane and the pump.
I'm glad you went on to explain that, as in my head I had visions of kids in a Dig Dug style situation.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Sat May 12, 2012 10:24 pm

I got a few wallops, mainly for things that went beyond the bounds of normal 'naughtiness' and that endangered life or limb or bordered on criminal. However, the one I remember the most was my grandad, normally a great bloke who taught me a lot of things useful in later life, giving me a right royal beating when I was seven. For some reason I had a huge tantrum and kicked him in the shin...next second I was over his knee and getting a slapping. After six of the best that was it, it wasn't mentioned again, I behaved when I was with him and he never raised a finger to me to the day he died. However, I learned a valuable lesson that day.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/