Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Treguard

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Treguard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:29 am

RetroMartin wrote:
tachi wrote:Sat on the bus on the way home and a young twenty-something was reading Crypt of the Sorcerer.
Is it weird I felt really proud of this complete stranger?
Not at all, it's good to see youngsters reading something that isn't drivell!
Some would argue Crypt of the Sorcerer is drivel...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:24 am

Well 'sniff' been selling all my Fighting Fantasy books (1-59 plus the Sorcery series).

Some sold for 8-10 quid, a fair few 99p. What surprised me was that the final 5 books (55-59) some guy offered 100 quid for all 5 ! Presume as they were the final ones 'perhaps' they didnt sell as many so they are actually rare (Bit like Bubbler with Ultimate).

Been difficult selling them (despite them sitting on the shelf for 2 years !)

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:42 pm

psj3809 wrote:Well 'sniff' been selling all my Fighting Fantasy books (1-59 plus the Sorcery series).

Some sold for 8-10 quid, a fair few 99p. What surprised me was that the final 5 books (55-59) some guy offered 100 quid for all 5 ! Presume as they were the final ones 'perhaps' they didnt sell as many so they are actually rare (Bit like Bubbler with Ultimate).

Got any left?

PSN username - MartinPhantom

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:00 am

RetroMartin wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Well 'sniff' been selling all my Fighting Fantasy books (1-59 plus the Sorcery series).

Got any left?
Cant find em at the mo, think the missus has moved them to some pile ready for listing on ebay somewhere !

By the way books 55-58 - sold those for £105 !!! I 'presume' as they were the final ones and didnt sell that much (as they stopped doing them afterwards) that they're quite rare, was chuffed as anything when a bloke bought all those !

The earlier ones seem to be going quite cheap, once i find them and start listing them i'll give you a shout, all starting price of 99p. Currently in the middle (my poor wife is !) of listing about 70 Star Wars graphic novels !

Cheers

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:51 am

Must try to complete my collection at some point, I need the last, most recent few, and of course they are the expensive ones!!

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:03 pm

I've nearly got a complete set of Dragonrider/Pern Corgi "bigborder" books from the mid90s. I've been half looking for The White Dragon to finish the set for almost a year now. I quite fancy another of her series as I'd never tried them back in the day; the "Freedom" trilogy sounds interesting.

Coincidentally, I've kinda been looking into music by prog-rockers Yes. Their album covers always have a strong sci-fi theme.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:12 am

Most have been sold, ones remaining to be listed are...

Beneath Nightmare Castle
Temple of Terror
Bloodbones
Trial of Champions
Sword of the Samurai

Let me know if you are interested in any of those

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm keeping all 61 gamebooks (ignoring all the spinoffs like Sorcery/RIddling Reaver/Titan etc etc) for when my daughter is old enough to enjoy them :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:03 pm

psj3809 wrote:Most have been sold, ones remaining to be listed are...

Beneath Nightmare Castle
Temple of Terror
Bloodbones
Trial of Champions
Sword of the Samurai

Let me know if you are interested in any of those
Bugger, was hoping for Knights of Doom and/or Robot Commando!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 am

RetroMartin wrote:Bugger, was hoping for Knights of Doom and/or Robot Commando!
Sorry ! All the others have been sold now, like i say the final few books went for a tidy sum.

I did want to keep them but just had to sell them sadly. Must admit 'de-cluttering' before a big house move is going better than i originally thought, been quite ruthless but my basement full of 'boys toys' is getting quite sparse now. Hmmm that last sentence sounded very dodgy.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks to my Secret Santa I now have a complete set of "big border" (circa 1994) Pern/Dragonrider books. Not complete set overall as there were episodes that camer later, with a different story arc in an earlier generation, but these are all the books that I had back in the day;

Actually took quite a bit of patience to get a matching set but it's another nostalgia trip and the new releases with different covers just wouldn't have been the same. Weird how I'm compelled to collect this things which I'll probably not read for another 5 years or whatever.

bennyb84

Post by bennyb84 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:47 am

i always brought one of these when as i mentioned my dad went into truro micro which later got into warhammer etc

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:42 am

Has anyone backed that FF book that's on Kickstarter? It's reached it's target with a couple days to go, though I've not backed it due to lack of funds.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:45 am

i actually have 3 of them
i have the forest of doom
deathtrap dungeon
and city of thieves

always liked those find your own adventures books
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 am

Morkin wrote:Has anyone backed that FF book that's on Kickstarter? It's reached it's target with a couple days to go, though I've not backed it due to lack of funds.
I didn't see this! I'd have been all over it, Johnathon Green was one of the best FF writers, he's done some work for Tin Man Games Gamebook Adventures series thats on IOS and Android, Temple of the Spider God is his, it's one of the best. Tin Man have also now got the FF licence for IOS and Android too, they've done a version of Blood of the Zombie recently, which I haven't got round to playing, and they're working on versions of the earlier books, Including Appointment with F.E.A.R. getting an e-version for the first time.

They've also announced that they're doing a version of J.H. Brennans Grail Quest series, which are great ifa bit surreal, the only gamebooks where I was ever defeated by a vampire carrot. I hope they do something about the bit in the first book where you get trapped in a maze and can only progress by failing a roll and falling down a pit though...