Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tachi

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by tachi » Sun May 13, 2012 7:10 am

I've never read a Pern book but have all the Audiobooks...they worth my time?
ALso, is it worth me getting rid of my re-release FF books and trying to rebuy them all in Green?
Currently looks a little mismached in places:
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:50 am

Well Fighting Fantasy signed a big deal over the weekend, on iOS/Android are a series of similar books called 'Gamebook Adventures', they work really well. Fighting Fantasy (Who did release a few themselves which werent great) have now signed a deal so Gamebook will release a series of their books on iOS/Android. Looking forward to those.

Cant believe the first book (Warlock) came out in 1982, damn 30 years !

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon May 28, 2012 2:49 pm

tachi wrote:I've never read a Pern book but have all the Audiobooks...they worth my time?
ALso, is it worth me getting rid of my re-release FF books and trying to rebuy them all in Green?
Currently looks a little mismached in places:
I did with my Pern collection but only for nostalgia 'n' what not and the fact they're cheap to buy.......

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Wow, that pic of all those green spined books bring memories.....I used to have a fair collection of those in the late eighties / early nineties - my favourite was "Freeway Fighter"

It's a shame I got rid of them years ago....would be great for the kids to pick up now

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 am

Really loved the article on the books and interview with Ian Livingstone in the recent RG. Really brought back memories of me pilfering books from the parents books shelves that had been gathering dust for ages and hocking them in the local secondhand book store in order to get store credit for secondhand FF books. Must have had close to 30 of them as a kid. Eventually hocked them back to the same secondhand store. Still Have Titan though and the Casket of Souls competition book which has some absolutely incredible artwork in it.

My copy of Deathtrap Dungeon had a glossary of sweary words scrawled by its previous owner in blue pencil on the last few blank pages. Came in very handy in school for dishing out insults to the uglier children.

It was Joe Dever's Lone Wolf books that led me to the FF series. And from there on though the FF book Sword of the Samurai led to the Way of the Tiger series which was a cool mix of Lovecrafty Mythos type stuff with Ninjas which were my among my favorites. There was also Grailquest to with its dreaded page 14.

Citadel of Chaos was the first one I got for around 60p way back when. I lent it to a friend who insisted that it was pronounced 'Sydel of Chose'. (This same idiot also insisted that Guile in SFII was pronounced "Gilly")

I'd really love to see the B&W interior artwork in some of those old books again though. Especially Ian Millers gnarly ones from the Creature of Havok.

Ian Livingstone though seems to be a reet proper leg-end when it comes the Gaming from the Pencil and Dice kind with GW to Video games with Core etc. Remember reading an interview with him many years ago in a Sunday supplement I think, there was a picture of him in his home with a cupboard stuffed full of board games, accompanied by a quote from him stressing the importance of gameplay.

Arque

Post by Arque » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:34 am

I played Warlock of Firetop Mountain. And, I beleive it was called Lone Wolf by another publisher. But, never played any others. I always expected a video game version. And am surprised that no one has plundered this IP goldmine. Vagrant Story is the closest thing to a VG take on this I believe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:36 pm

If you read the whole thread (and the Lone Wolf one), you'll find there have been videogames based on both franchises, some very old, some very new.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Theres a good Facebook group who chat about FF constantly. I've started a few threads myself, proper retro nostalgia!
Scott me up beamie!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:45 am

Well the latest book is coming out in August...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Zombies-F ... 262&sr=8-2

Apparently it has the green spine as well!

Edit - just go my book this morning, looks great, hope they bring out more

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:10 pm

psj3809 wrote:Well the latest book is coming out in August...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Zombies-F ... 262&sr=8-2

Apparently it has the green spine as well!

Edit - just go my book this morning, looks great, hope they bring out more
I got this for my birthday, haven't read it yet. To be honest, and I know this might be sacrilege seeing as how he co-created the series, but a lot of Livingstones books were the worst in the series, just scavenger hunts requiring you to go to the right sections in the right order to get the item to get past the final boss/puzzle. Deathtrap Dungeon is the worst for this.

I'll have to take a pic of my gamebook collection, i think there's a few hundred of them.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:30 am

After collecting all of them it looks like I'll be putting them all on eBay soon! (future house move)

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm afraid that I never had any of the RPG-style gamebooks, but I used to read a ton of Choose Your Own Adventures and such when I was younger. Which are basically the same thing, without the RPG elements. And even more death. Tons and tons of death.

Did I mention these were for the 8-12 age range?

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Yeah I remember the CYOA being spiteful in terms of death! Didn't play too many though fortunately! I need to really work on my FF collection, I'm missing my 2 favourites!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

tachi

Post by tachi » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Sat on the bus on the way home and a young twenty-something was reading Crypt of the Sorcerer.
Is it weird I felt really proud of this complete stranger?
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:22 pm

tachi wrote:Sat on the bus on the way home and a young twenty-something was reading Crypt of the Sorcerer.
Is it weird I felt really proud of this complete stranger?
Not at all, it's good to see youngsters reading something that isn't drivell!

PSN username - MartinPhantom