Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RetroMartin

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:05 pm

tachi wrote:
RetroMartin wrote: Good mentions go to City of Thieves and some of the others centered around Port Blacksand!
Port Blacksand was a brilliant, living creation. Love it :)
The second book after Dungeoneer (the make your own set) was called "Blacksand!" and was more creation stuff, I booked it out of my high school library in Alcester and read it a few times, might be worth a purchase if you loved the port itself!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

tachi

Post by tachi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:13 pm

RetroMartin wrote:
tachi wrote:
RetroMartin wrote: Good mentions go to City of Thieves and some of the others centered around Port Blacksand!
Port Blacksand was a brilliant, living creation. Love it :)
The second book after Dungeoneer (the make your own set) was called "Blacksand!" and was more creation stuff, I booked it out of my high school library in Alcester and read it a few times, might be worth a purchase if you loved the port itself!
Thanks man but already have it, Titan and Dungeoneer :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:48 pm

tachi wrote:
Thanks man but already have it, Titan and Dungeoneer :)
Then my post shall serve as info to others interested in getting it! lol! I've not read Titan yet.....

PSN username - MartinPhantom

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Loved the Fighting Fantasy books growing up, in fairness I think i spent more time drooling/studying over the brilliant b+w artwork than I did actually playing them.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:09 pm

Oh crikey I missed this thread, I loved these books! I mostly read them (or should that be played them?) when I used to go with my parents to their caravan in Wales. I didn't take the Computer with me often, Instead I used to buy the fighting fantasy books. They were quite simply awesome. I'm pretty sure had about 20 of these books at one time or another.

I'm pretty sure the first book I had was 'Sword of the Samurai'. After that I was hooked!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:27 pm

RetroMartin wrote:I'm only 26 (27 very shortly) and I have fond memories of many of these books.

I recently bought some of the rereleases they've recently been going through (though they are renumbering some of them)

I have a small collection including Deathtrap Dungeon, Sword of the Samurai, Island of the Lizard King, House of Hell, Phantoms of Fear and a few others.

I also had the first "make your own" booklet by them - Dungeoneer (In fact I have two copies!)

My fondest memories are from the initial posted Robot Commando and my personal favourite, number 54 (I think) Knights of Doom which in my opinion had a fantastic character creation section and cracking read through as well, really difficult too.

Good mentions go to City of Thieves and some of the others centered around Port Blacksand!
Knights of Doom was by Johnathan Green, one of the best FF writers. He penned the last Gamebook Adventures app 'Temple of the Spider God', which is one of the best so far and features some great artwork. Well worth downloading if you're into Gamebooks and have an ithing.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:14 pm

I managed to track down the first of the Dragon books I read after moving-on from FF, not far off twenty years ago. It's only a little thing really, but I really wanted this one and it's taken almost 6 months watching ebay to track down this perticular edition;

I only have two more to get and I'll have the full set of what I loosely call the "big border" editions. They were Corgi mid-90s prints.
Ofcourse, another one was listed almost immediatly afterward but no big deal.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:59 am

Are those books any good? I've been tempted to start a new series.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:49 am

Lorfarius wrote:Are those books any good? I've been tempted to start a new series.
The Dark Elf triology is pretty good, and most others written by R A Salvatore.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Are those books any good? I've been tempted to start a new series.
If that was directed at me and the Dragonriders books, then yeah I guess so! They are somewhat adolescent, but the "universe" (well, the one planet) is very well realised. Mostly about nostalgia for me so I'm not at all sure how I'd recieve them if they were new to me now, ofcourse.

Edit: actually I now have a spare Dragonsdawn if anyone wants it. It's not the first book but it can be read individually without compromising the timeline.

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:50 pm

ah warm memories, there are at least two other threads kicking around about this..

here is one..
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =5&t=13037
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Thu May 10, 2012 12:01 am

CIH wrote:I managed to track down the first of the Dragon books I read after moving-on from FF, not far off twenty years ago. It's only a little thing really, but I really wanted this one and it's taken almost 6 months watching ebay to track down this perticular edition;

I only have two more to get and I'll have the full set of what I loosely call the "big border" editions. They were Corgi mid-90s prints.
Ofcourse, another one was listed almost immediatly afterward but no big deal.
Loved those books and have most of them in that edition or an earlier one. Only a couple of the later ones I didn't bother with. I also loved the Tower and the Hive series and Acorna as well.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu May 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Can't say I've bothered with any of her other series, Helen, save for the ocassional short story. I had to buy the odd one as part of job-lots when I wanted specific editions on ebay recently so I've no excuse I guess!

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu May 10, 2012 6:44 pm

I used to really enjoy the FF series back in the 80's. The first book I bought was The Citadel of Chaos, followed by the City of Thieves, Caverns of the Snow Witch & Island of the Lizard King.

Recently re-purchased City of Thieves via Amazon & recently acquired the first part of the Sorcery series & Night of the Necromancer which looks pretty good. The iOS version of The Warlock of Fire top Mountain didn't really keep my attention but I see they also have a couple of titles on the PSN store too. May try Talisman of Death for a cheap thrill. :D
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 pm

On the Anne Mcaffrey note, have there been any other videogames based on those books beyond the Dreamcast Dragonriders of Pern?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.